Another idiot - E-cigarette battery explodes in a man’s pants.

Status
Not open for further replies.

oplholik

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 22, 2011
San Bernardino area, So. Cal.

r77r7r

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
  • Feb 15, 2011
    Pa,LandOfTaxes
    Maybe, for newcomers, we can use this opportunity to address unprotected vs protected batteries. If this cell was protected, would he have been safer? Why have we been using unprotected cells in unprotected mods (mechs)? Is this guy happier knowing that he bought a cell with Safer Chemistry?

Brewdawg1181

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Aug 30, 2017
    Metro ATL
    Maybe, for newcomers, we can use this opportunity to address unprotected vs protected batteries. If this cell was protected, would he have been safer? Why have we been using unprotected cells in unprotected mods (mechs)? Is this guy happier knowing that he bought a cell with Safer Chemistry?
    Couldn't agree more. In this case, the guy was a .....- keys, coins, batteries in pocket. Inadvisable even with AA's. But I wonder a lot about how a $9.5B industry, trying to avoid having the government "protect us," hasn't made a push to safer battery/mod combinations. We really shouldn't need an advanced degree (or access to battery experts on a forum) to vape. There's a lot of smart people out there spending a lot of time researching, just to vape safely. Pretty ridiculous considering the ubiquity of battery products (phones, etc.) in the marketplace.

Edit: Wow- m*ron is a dirty word?

Last edited:

ENAUD

Resting In Peace
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 23, 2013
    Bordertown of ProVariland and REOville
    Ugh. McDonalds, all over again. Any lawyer can find a reason to sue someone for anything. I hope it doesn't go very far.... Of course, it probably will. :(

Anna
    you really should dig a little deeper into that coffee case, ;)

stols001

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    May 30, 2017
    I know... I know it was at scalding temps and all.... I realize the woman wasn't driving at the time, and etc.

I also think (KNOW) that a) anyone buying coffee from McDonald's has already signed a "I do not understand coffee" waiver.

I also know she took the top off, with the cup between her legs, at a standstill, and expected the cup to "hold up" and "not tip" as she took the top off. She must never have had McDonalds coffee before because a) You only buy it once and b) there is NO way in hell (even at a standstill) that I would be trying to "add" creamer and sugar to a cup of McDonald's coffee that wasn't on a stable base, as those cups suck. They really do. They will spill on a MOMENT's provocation.

I do think her burns were severe, and I do understand that the coffee wasn't heated to any kind of "safe" temperature, but I have mixed feelings about it, as McDonald's food and beverages are bad for EVERYONE. I admit it's an extreme case, but unless she had never ordered coffee from McDonald's BEFORE, I am surprised at her high risk actions (for spill reasons, maybe not necessarily heat reasons) and I think covering her medical bills would have been fair enough.

With that said, I don't eat at McDonalds, ever, because their food tastes a little "dead" to me these days, and if I want coffee in the car, I do bring my own.... Mainly because I'm a coffee snob, I know I am clumsy, and I know I should prepare it myself, because McDonalds just isn't going to do it for me.

IF I need coffee on the road I usually will stop at a Starbucks which often serves equally scalding coffee, but I enter the facility, pour about an inch of it out, and THEN add my "things" to it, before going back to the car. I know I will get a TON of caffeine, and a beverage container that will WORK. I also place it in my coffee holder when I am not sipping from it... Why? Because almost every car has a beverage holder.

I think what happened to the lady was awful. I also think she was a bit of a dolt. This one is more of a grey one, but it's definitely NOT all "Oh poor HER, McD is at fault." Coffee is generally served HOT, if not SCALDING. I've burned myself before with my own coffee maker, I didn't attempt to sue my Coffee Urn Manufacturer. Etc.

Anna

Vaperer

ECF Veteran
    Dec 10, 2017
    In the world of litigation I believe he has a case. There were no warning stickers on the battery advising him of this. That makes the liability the battery maker. Regardless how stupid he was to do this. It also depends on his damages. Expect to see some new warning labels. Idiots always ruin it for everybody else.

puffon

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Sep 18, 2014
    Florida
    In the world of litigation I believe he has a case. There were no warning stickers on the battery advising him of this. That makes the liability the battery maker. Regardless how stupid he was to do this. It also depends on his damages. Expect to see some new warning labels. Idiots always ruin it for everybody else.
    I believe the liability will be on the retailers.
    Major battery makers have stated their batteries are not to be used, and were never designed to be used in vaping products. The batteries we use were designed to be used in battery packs only.
    I'm concerned battery manufactures will tighten up the supply being bought on the grey market, by non-pack manufactures.
    This would lead to more injuries from everyone trying to disassemble battery packs incorrectly.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread