Another mod accident but this one has me baffled

Status
Not open for further replies.

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
Another exploding mech mod story but it does not appear the mod is damaged. A photo of the mod is provided (see link below). This one isn't making sense. A sub tank on a mech mod (a hybrid?). The glass tank is broken but the mod appears to be intact. There is no way for venting gases to get through the bottom of the atomizer and over heated coils don't burst. What am I missing? (Another thing that needs to be determined is what battery was used, did it have the correct rating and was it authentic. The shop might be liable if they sold a fake battery. I don't like mechs and I don't use them.)

Memphis native in hospital after an e-cigarette exploded

"Cordero Caples, 29, was in critical condition Sunday at a hospital in Colorado Springs, Colo. Family members say a Kangertech e-cigarette exploded. Caples neck was broken, his teeth were knocked out, and he had facial fractures and cuts.

FOX13's Kristin Leigh spoke with Caples' sister, Colessia Porter, who is from Memphis. On FOX13 News at 9 and 10, Porter talks about her brother's recovery, and local experts discuss the dangers of smoking e-cigarettes."

Last edited:

ibndevilish

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 15, 2014
Torrington ,CT
I would like to know how that happened. Looks like only the glass was broke. the mod isn't even a kanger tech, wish these news companies would get facts and check and see if they are right. Maybe the damn idiot was bending down to try and take a deeper puff and slammed his face into the tank and didn't want to look like a idiot so he said the mod did it..lol

Reactions: Adam harris

Kent C

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2009
NW Ohio US
Not a "Kangertech ecigarette" although the tank may be a Kanger Subtank or a subtank clone. Edit: going with clone or 'subtank styled' because of the spacing of the hashes on the AFC part. Wider and shorter on the subtank - at least the ones in current production.

The mod is a copper Steampunk or steampunk clone that comes in both straight mechanical or the hybrids we've seen that can be dangerous.

HTB1jOlyFVXXXXc7XVXXq6xXFXXXC.jpg

Last edited:

nicnik

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 20, 2015
Illinois, USA
Another exploding mech mod story but it does not appear the mod is damaged. A photo of the mod is provided (see link below). This one isn't making sense. A sub tank on a mech mod (a hybrid?). The glass tank is broken but the mod appears to be intact. There is no way for venting gases to get through the bottom of the atomizer and over heated coils don't burst. What am I missing? (Another thing that needs to be determined is what battery was used, did it have the correct rating and was it authentic. The shop might be liable if they sold a fake battery. I don't like mechs and I don't use them.)

Memphis native in hospital after an e-cigarette exploded

"Cordero Caples, 29, was in critical condition Sunday at a hospital in Colorado Springs, Colo. Family members say a Kangertech e-cigarette exploded. Caples neck was broken, his teeth were knocked out, and he had facial fractures and cuts.

FOX13's Kristin Leigh spoke with Caples' sister, Colessia Porter, who is from Memphis. On FOX13 News at 9 and 10, Porter talks about her brother's recovery, and local experts discuss the dangers of smoking e-cigarettes."

His sister set up a gofundme page for his medical care costs:

https://www.gofundme.com/knbwfd9w

This looks wrong to me.
How was it strong enough to break his neck and teeth and burn him but all that's broken is the glass.
Something doesn't add up.
Also yes the media makes vapping look bad in this one but any self respecting person who isn't doing it just to look cool and fit in knows that safety comes first.
Can't vape if you're dead or in the hospital.

this is my name

ECF Veteran
Oct 13, 2014
North Little Rock, AR, USA
Maybe that picture isn't the actual mod? It could be some random pic used to demonstrate what allegedly caused the damage.

He was probably using the wrong or some cheap bootleg battery. Of course the news won't try to figure out why it happened. They'll just spin it as e-cigs are bad.
In the video, the lady said " this picture of Caple's busted mod."

Reactions: Tortus

Tortus

ECF Veteran
Jan 11, 2015
Yeah it makes no sense then since there's no sign of an explosion. Just missing pyrex.

My guess is he was jumped and someone busted him in the face with it and broke his neck. Now he's trying to cover it up and get paid.

Kent C

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2009
NW Ohio US

I like the one comment on reddit - the guy's vaping, falls down the stairs, mod goes into mouth penetrating to the spine. Only 'recourse' is to sue the ecig companies. Unfortunately, this isn't all that uncommon with injuries. We had a guy who fell from a ladder doing work on his house, broke his leg, and he came to work to stage an accident. Didn't work and he also didn't lose his job - strong union.

Last edited:

Elizabeth Baldwin

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 2, 2014
Lexington, Kentucky, United States
If that device "blew up" the mod would at least be bulged, burnt a little or something. There's no sign of an explosion. It looks like it was dropped, and not far... just enough to shatter the glass tank.

Another thing, the lady at the vape shop in the video said the battery was wrong for that mod.

But on top of that, it looks more like somebody beat him up and he dropped his mod. He's probably seen these other lawsuits and decided he'd jump on the bandwagon.

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
angryvaper.crypticsites.com
Yeah it makes no sense then since there's no sign of an explosion. Just missing pyrex.

My guess is he was jumped and someone busted him in the face with it and broke his neck. Now he's trying to cover it up and get paid.

Exactly what I was thinking -- and it was probably an ANTZ who did it.

Hey, if they can spin, we can spin back. :D

Andria

bluecat

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 22, 2012
Cincy
Strange when they report a traffic accident on the morning news they don't call for the ban of all cars. It would be exactly the same thing in this case. I can improperly use anything to the detriment of my self.

This morning an SUV rammed a car causing a pile up on 75. They do it just depends on what they want to ban. Of course they call it an SUV.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread