Another newbie question - how often should I rewick?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ben85

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 16, 2014
Kent, UK
No doubt it's cheap. It's not really the money, but more of , if it's still perfectly fine, why change it...maybe it's because I see so much waste these days that I try not to..if your vaping style benefits from a new coil every day or two, then that's cool and you should, but for me, there is no difference in performance between a month old coil compared to a brand new coil, so I just keep them.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

I agree. After 8mls is incredibly excessive imo and I don’t see what you would gain doing that. If I did the same I’d be replacing the coil twice a day, yet I can easily get 6 months out of a coil before I feel the need to change it.

jfcooley

I find your lack of faith disturbing...
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2017
Charlottesville, Virginia
Woke up to my rayon wick in the Siren V2, not a drop of liquid... I love rayon now that I know how to use it properly, really prefer the taste, too. :)

Anna

After all this talk, may look into it. If only for RDTAs that give me fits.

Coastal Cowboy

This aggression will not stand, man!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2013
Alabama Gulf Coast
www.ibleedcrimsonred.com
@Coastal Cowboy I can gladly send you some to use and try if you want.

Thanks, man. I'm thinking about it. I'm just now getting back into rebuilding and really do have lotsa cotton. I may give the stuff a try but I'll surely buy more than I need, too. ;)

Wraith504

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 25, 2014
New Orleans, LA
Thanks, man. I'm thinking about it. I'm just now getting back into rebuilding and really do have lotsa cotton. I may give the stuff a try but I'll surely buy more than I need, too. ;)
no problem just let me know. :thumb:

vapdivrr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2012
sarasota,fl
I agree. After 8mls is incredibly excessive imo and I don’t see what you would gain doing that. If I did the same I’d be replacing the coil twice a day, yet I can easily get 6 months out of a coil before I feel the need to change it.
I guess to each their own. I mean I love rebuilding, been doing it for 7 years and have never use a drop in coil, ever, so it's not the money, nor hard to do, but seems a waste of time.

Brewdawg1181

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 30, 2017
Metro ATL
Interesting.

As an aside, I did the math and I think (because it's 8 wraps) -- that it is single coil?

The reason I ask is because I am experimenting with single vs dual.

Sent from my R1 HD using Tapatalk
Yes, single coil.
I know I recoil more than most, but I guess it's a matter of perspective. Kind of surprising to hear it described as wasteful or incredibly excessive on this forum. I figure if I'm lucky enough to do this once a week for the next 20-30 years, I might have thrown away enough metal to equal a single, perfectly fine atty sitting in a drawer unused.

-KT-

Oct 12, 2017
Yes, single coil.
I know I recoil more than most, but I guess it's a matter of perspective. Kind of surprising to hear it described as wasteful or incredibly excessive on this forum. I figure if I'm lucky enough to do this once a week for the next 20-30 years, I might have thrown away enough metal to equal a single, perfectly fine atty sitting in a drawer unused.
I replicated that build last night (8@28) and it came out nice. I did it as dual coil, but I was still able to stay at about 3.7 volts down at 28 watts. Good flavor.

As an aside, I am using volts to know the best setting for watts. That is, I move watts up or down until my mod gets to about 3.7 to 4 volts.

LOL, I just made a 9@22 - takes 70 watts to get to 3.7 volts (.17 ohm is why). BUT the flavor is awesome. Throat hit is crazy! Was using some 18mg juice just now. Whoa!

Have to go down to 12...

fa4d9eeb08fe43c8e85478ee9a5f8c7f.jpg
d5ae407d88ce631813b5fd3eb71e1f64.jpg

-KT-

Oct 12, 2017
I guess to each their own. I mean I love rebuilding, been doing it for 7 years and have never use a drop in coil, ever, so it's not the money, nor hard to do, but seems a waste of time.
I'm new to this, but I could see myself winding a lot of coils. It's kind of relaxing - to me at least.

I've always liked to work with metal. Something about bending it and then working it is deeply satisfying.

To me at least, one of the things that attracts me to vaping is the freedom to experiment and explore. I also like that it's somewhat of a thorn in the side of Big Tobacco.

They can't go hard against it (since they are trying to get on the bandwagon themselves) and they can't support it (since the vape industry cuts into their profits).

They are up against a kind of asemytrical enemy. The actual fact that vapers are somewhat fractional is part of BT's problem.

Sorry for discourse. I guess my point is that it's good that there are diversities of opinion about things.

vapdivrr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2012
sarasota,fl
I'm new to this, but I could see myself winding a lot of coils. It's kind of relaxing - to me at least.

I've always liked to work with metal. Something about bending it and then working it is deeply satisfying.

To me at least, one of the things that attracts me to vaping is the freedom to experiment and explore. I also like that it's somewhat of a thorn in the side of Big Tobacco.

They can't go hard against it (since they are trying to get on the bandwagon themselves) and they can't support it (since the vape industry cuts into their profits).

They are up against a kind of asemytrical enemy. The actual fact that vapers are somewhat fractional is part of BT's problem.

Sorry for discourse. I guess my point is that it's good that there are diversities of opinion about things.

Rebuilding is awesome and so much better then these premade coils....now premades are pretty good and quite popular, but being old school, I'm just use to premades being only for vapors who really don't know...it's not like that anymore, for they have come a long way.....Back in the day, I did nothing but build this and build that, I tried every build one can imagine. I wicked with every possible wicking material at every possible resistance, but now I found that happy place , so I really dont experiment any more. I come to realize, at least in my little nitch of single coil rebuildable mtl rtas, that there is little difference in coil builds, and that a plain round kanthal build is just as good as anything else, and that different types of wicking materials aren't much different to just plain Ole cotton, (except for SS mesh and ceramic ) You might sometimes think there are differences, but in the end, the differences are so small that you really couldn't tell if done in a blind taste test.....it still is a fun ride. like you, I love working with my hands and trying everything, it's a great hobby for sure. But now there are many different tanks and vaping styles in which I don't venture, so my results don't relate, so things go on and on... I love vaping

vapdivrr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2012
sarasota,fl
Yes, single coil.
I was responding to a post I heard of changing a coil after every 8ml of juice, not a week. Even at a week, I think a coil is perfectly fine, but after 8 to 10mls of juice just seems crazy.....vaping doesn't need to be that involved, for a good coil can last month's and months. I often hear people saying they don't want to rebuild, well maybe it's because they see themselves building coils all the time....one can literally build a few coils and be set for a year, where all they need to do is rewick. Honestly I love rebuilding, but after 8 mls of juice? Sorry, I just will never understand that. The bottom line is, whatever works for you, and if constantly building new coils is what you like, then that is the best thing, as long as we don't smoke, it's all good imo

vapdivrr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2012
sarasota,fl

I agree on BT, they are definitely feeling our freedom... let's just hope they don't win in the end

-KT-

Oct 12, 2017
I agree on BT, they are definitely feeling our freedom... let's just hope they don't win in the end

Agreed. This is why good science is essential. I think what they (BT) are doing is working hyperlocally at a city-by-city level and sometimes at a state level.

It's actually quite easy to get local laws passed. It starts with getting a city council person to sponsor the proposed law, then it goes in and out of committee, and eventually goes for a vote. The sponsor will ostensibly be some "community group" - but I suspect BT often works via what are called "sock puppets" (political proxies).

There is almost zero cost (to pass a law), and laws, once passed, tend to stay on the books.

The problem with laws is that they tend to be "against" things.

Policymakers only have to be held accountable at election time, and vapers are not a known constituency yet.

I know this stuff because I am a little involved in the politics of a certain city. It's kind of like TV, but real.

LOL, sorry for hijack.

ETA photo meme.
2e29e172b3cc232f9896f35f52d38ba9.jpg

Brewdawg1181

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 30, 2017
Metro ATL
I was responding to a post I heard of changing a coil after every 8ml of juice, not a week. Even at a week, I think a coil is perfectly fine, but after 8 to 10mls of juice just seems crazy..... Honestly I love rebuilding, but after 8 mls of juice? Sorry, I just will never understand that.
Actually, it was my post - and 8-10 ml is almost a week for me. While my weekly consumption is comparatively low, it seems a weekly coil change is pretty common after all. In this thread alone, most responses mentioned 3-4 days, a week and even daily for drippers. Even with 100vg and HS/INW tobacco with no sweeteners or additives, I see significant (not massive, but significant) gunk on the coil after 4-5 2ml tanks. And I definitely feel a reduced TH, even though that coil might be perfectly fine for others. To look at it another way - look at a coil after just 10ml. Would you cook a meal in a metal pan that looked like that?

See, this is what's great about this forum - there is no right way at all...true diversity of opinion here. Some see me as seemingly crazy, or incredibly excessive. But for me, an ex smoker of 40+ years, using 2-2.5 ml of 14mg juice easily replaces my smoking habit. It's hard for me to imagine anyone "needing" to consume 16 ml of juice a day. I know some people do, and more power to them. And this isn't a criticism of heavy vapers, but that seems more incredibly excessive from my perspective than tossing 4 inches of coil wire costing $0.019 each too often.

I'm a tinkerer, and don't mind spending 5 min. a week recoiling and tossing a gunked coil once a week. What I gain from it is a nice clean vape with a consistent throat hit. I guess part of the reason I do it as well is the reading I did prior to starting to build. Although I know vaping is exponentially safer than cigarettes, the added benefit of avoiding inhaling degraded metallic particulate matter is a benefit worth considering. Here's a link to the opinion of a chemist- Dr Farsalinos and Pedro Carvalho- material sciences expert. Nothing super scary, but hey - if you can avoid a potential risk without any great effort- why not?

Dry-burning metal coils: is it a good thing?
E-cigarette coils from a chemist's point of view

Last edited:

vapdivrr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2012
sarasota,fl
Actually, it was my post - and 8-10 ml is almost a week for me. While my weekly consumption is comparatively low, it seems a weekly coil change is pretty common after all. I this thread alone, most responses mentioned 3-4 days, a week and even daily for drippers. Even with 100vg and HS/INW tobacco with no sweeteners or additives, I see significant (not massive, but significant) gunk on the coil after 4-5 2ml tanks. And I definitely feel a reduced TH, even though that coil might be perfectly fine for others. To look at it another way - look at a coil after just 10ml. Would you cook a meal in a metal pan that looked like that?

See, this is what's great about this forum - there is no right way at all...true diversity of opinion here. Some see me as seemingly crazy, or incredibly excessive. But for me, an ex smoker of 40+ years, using 2-2.5 ml of 14mg juice easily replaces my smoking habit. It's hard for me to imagine anyone "needing" to consume 16 ml of juice a day. I know some people do, and more power to them. And this isn't a criticism of heavy vapers, but that seems more incredibly excessive from my perspective than tossing 4 inches of coil wire costing $0.019 each too often.

I'm a tinkerer, and don't mind spending 5 min. a week recoiling and tossing a gunked coil once a week. What I gain from it is a nice clean vape with a consistent throat hit. I guess part of the reason I do it as well is the reading I did prior to starting to build. Although I know vaping is exponentially safer than cigarettes, the added benefit of avoiding inhaling degraded metallic particulate matter is a benefit worth considering. Here's a link to the opinion of a chemist- Dr Farsalinos and Pedro Carvalho- material sciences expert. Nothing super scary, but hey - if you can avoid a potential risk without any great effort- why not?

Dry-burning metal coils: is it a good thing?
E-cigarette coils from a chemist's point of view
I'm just stating my results, and after 10mls for me, and a quick dry burn, the coil is completely fine and doesn't look like a dirty pan. The thing is , is that I vape a fairly sweet net and it's impossible for me to detect any decrease in TH, and believe me, if there were I would change that puppy every one ml of juice because TH is my number one thing I must have....so I definitely understand why you would switch out, if that is the case...just blows me away how results can be so opposite...I mean my results have been consistent for like 7 years in various tanks, with varying wicking materials and after 10 mls of juice, every coil I ever made cleans up to 99.9 percent of a new coil and to detect a drop in TH in that 0.1 percent is impossible, at least with my set ups.....but like you said, this is why vaping is so cool, so many different nuances and results. And I never really dry burn a coil too hot...I know those results from DR. F

vapdivrr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2012
sarasota,fl
Agreed. This is why good science is essential. I think what they (BT) are doing is working hyperlocally at a city-by-city level and sometimes at a state level.

It's actually quite easy to get local laws passed. It starts with getting a city council person to sponsor the proposed law, then it goes in and out of committee, and eventually goes for a vote. The sponsor will ostensibly be some "community group" - but I suspect BT often works via what are called "sock puppets" (political proxies).

There is almost zero cost (to pass a law), and laws, once passed, tend to stay on the books.

The problem with laws is that they tend to be "against" things.

Policymakers only have to be held accountable at election time, and vapers are not a known constituency yet.

I know this stuff because I am a little involved in the politics of a certain city. It's kind of like TV, but real.

LOL, sorry for hijack.

ETA photo meme.
2e29e172b3cc232f9896f35f52d38ba9.jpg
Sock puppets[emoji38]

Brewdawg1181

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 30, 2017
Metro ATL
Oops- I misspoke(miswrote). A weekly wick change, rather than coil change every 3-4 days or week is common according to this thread, is what I meant to say. And yeah, a dry-fire does make the coil fairly clean again. But it never quite tasted like a new coil to me, and it just seemed just about as much trouble to dry-fire as replace the coil. If I went through a lot more juice, I'd probably hang in there on a coil for longer, but this works okay for me. Especially since I change tobacco flavors frequently, and it gets the residual flavors out of the tank more often. And since I tank-mix almost always, the change allows me to re-sample a single flavor when priming the wick.

Brewdawg1181

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 30, 2017
Metro ATL
Hey, back to the rayon discussion: I know that rayon wicks more efficiently than cotton, due in part to the more linear alignment of the fibers. And I can see how this would be an obvious advantage if you use heavy VG and/or chain vape. Even though I've read that it's a bit fussier to set up, I thought about trying it, because those that use it rave about it, and the flavor it gives. But doesn't it have a lower threshold for burning than cotton? I tried looking it up, and was directed to sites talking about ironing clothes. And one had a scale of 1-7, 7 being the hottest to use, and cotton was a 7. Rayon was a 3- and it recommends ironing rayon clothing inside out to prevent damaging the finish of the exterior. Another discusses how rayon is much more susceptible to loss of stability when wet. I couldn't find anything about advances in rayon that was used in wicking material, or anything temp related discussing rayon wicks. But wouldn't the lower temp resistance make it last a shorter time? I was wondering if anybody that has both ever tried it on a coil dry, just to see which singed or burned at a lower temp.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread