Another newbie question - how often should I rewick?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SlickWilly

Tinkerer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 18, 2013
NY
Hey, back to the rayon discussion: I know that rayon wicks more efficiently than cotton, due in part to the more linear alignment of the fibers. And I can see how this would be an obvious advantage if you use heavy VG and/or chain vape. Even though I've read that it's a bit fussier to set up, I thought about trying it, because those that use it rave about it, and the flavor it gives. But doesn't it have a lower threshold for burning than cotton? I tried looking it up, and was directed to sites talking about ironing clothes. And one had a scale of 1-7, 7 being the hottest to use, and cotton was a 7. Rayon was a 3- and it recommends ironing rayon clothing inside out to prevent damaging the finish of the exterior. Another discusses how rayon is much more susceptible to loss of stability when wet. I couldn't find anything about advances in rayon that was used in wicking material, or anything temp related discussing rayon wicks. But wouldn't the lower temp resistance make it last a shorter time? I was wondering if anybody that has both ever tried it on a coil dry, just to see which singed or burned at a lower temp.

Doesn't really matter, rayon isn't going to burn under normal vaping. Try it, see if it works for you. There's a thread dedicated to all things related to wicking with rayon here --> https://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/f...er-flow-flavor-saturation-and-nic-hit.561226/

r055co

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 24, 2015
Seattle
Hey, back to the rayon discussion: I know that rayon wicks more efficiently than cotton, due in part to the more linear alignment of the fibers. And I can see how this would be an obvious advantage if you use heavy VG and/or chain vape. Even though I've read that it's a bit fussier to set up, I thought about trying it, because those that use it rave about it, and the flavor it gives. But doesn't it have a lower threshold for burning than cotton? I tried looking it up, and was directed to sites talking about ironing clothes. And one had a scale of 1-7, 7 being the hottest to use, and cotton was a 7. Rayon was a 3- and it recommends ironing rayon clothing inside out to prevent damaging the finish of the exterior. Another discusses how rayon is much more susceptible to loss of stability when wet. I couldn't find anything about advances in rayon that was used in wicking material, or anything temp related discussing rayon wicks. But wouldn't the lower temp resistance make it last a shorter time? I was wondering if anybody that has both ever tried it on a coil dry, just to see which singed or burned at a lower temp.
Yeah there are those that rant and rave about Rayon, there are though some like myself that can't stand it. Rayon may last longer than Cotton but my coils will gunk up long before Koh gen Do even comes close to breaking down. Also if you ever get a dry hit with Rayon it's the most disgusting, vomit inducing, tear your tongue out of you mouth experience you will ever have the misfortune of experiencing in you life. I also cannot stand the dry mouth experience it gives me. Then lastly I really don't find that much of a performance increase over Koh gen Do

Basically get some (it's cheap) and try it out for yourself, if you like it run with if not at least you gave it a try.

Wraith504

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 25, 2014
New Orleans, LA
Yeah there are those that rant and rave about Rayon, there are though some like myself that can't stand it. Rayon may last longer than Cotton but my coils will gunk up long before Koh gen Do even comes close to breaking down. Also if you ever get a dry hit with Rayon it's the most disgusting, vomit inducing, tear your tongue out of you mouth experience you will ever have the misfortune of experiencing in you life. I also cannot stand the dry mouth experience it gives me. Then lastly I really don't find that much of a performance increase over Koh gen Do

Basically get some (it's cheap) and try it out for yourself, if you like it run with if not at least you gave it a try.
I get the opposite with rayon. i find the vape is much more wet feeling compared to JC which is drier IMO. Yes it tastes nasty if u get a dry hit but so does cotton tbh. I say try them both decide what u like. for my cloudy rbas i prefer jc. I am now leaning towards rayon more in the rtas.

SlickWilly

Tinkerer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 18, 2013
NY
We'll, I don't really chain vape, and haven't really needed to increase wicking speed...so your graphic description (literal lol) probably scared me away.

Your going to let one person's bad experience keep you from trying it? I don't like milk, onions, pepper's, yogurt or rye bread, going to give them up because I don't like them?

Brewdawg1181

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 30, 2017
Metro ATL
Your going to let one person's bad experience keep you from trying it? I don't like milk, onions, pepper's, yogurt or rye bread, going to give them up because I don't like them?
Nah, not really. But it was funny. I'm hoping more people will weigh in. But I do have a hard time, with the info I have so far, understanding how there could be any advantage other than efficiency.

Reactions: stols001

SlickWilly

Tinkerer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 18, 2013
NY
Nah, not really. But it was funny. I'm hoping more people will weigh in. But I do have a hard time, with the info I have so far, understanding how there could be any advantage other than efficiency.

Do you live in the states? Are you in upstate NY by any chance?

SlickWilly

Tinkerer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 18, 2013
NY
No, metro Atl. Why, you got some milk, onions, peppers, yogurt and rye bread for me?:)

No but I have some rayon for you if you want to try it. If you want, PM me where to mail it, I'll put some in an envelope and send it out to you.

Brewdawg1181

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 30, 2017
Metro ATL
No but I have some rayon for you if you want to try it. If you want, PM me where to mail it, I'll put some in an envelope and send it out to you.
You are now PM'd, sir.
Really appreciate it Slick, and I'm looking forward to trying it out.
BTW - what kind of setup do you use it on? And what is it that makes you prefer it over cotton - just the flavor, or other things, too?
How about you, Anna? I know you're an mtl'er like me, and used to use a Zelos/N2 like me.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
I like that rayon lasts longer, wicking is not my favorite chore. But, I also feel it is more tasteless than cotton, at least right in the beginning, and once your wick is broken in it's a keeper for a while. I also seem to have an easier time wicking it-- I tend to underwick and I can really get rayon stuffed in there, then feather the tails. IDK I just find it so much more hassle free. But, I don't care for the taste of cotton when I'm breaking it in, either. You can use it with a MTL coil, the last one I wicked was 1.0 resistance. It just has some different properties than cotton that I like.

Anna

Brewdawg1181

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 30, 2017
Metro ATL
Thanks, Anna - what kind of tank(s) are you using it in now?
I watched Qorax wick a KM3 (which is what I use) with it last night, and really looks no different, other than twisting it to get it in the coil, then untwisting to expand it for good contact. It actually looked a little easier than cotton for getting the right thickness. For me, that's the hardest part of wicking, is pulling apart the right amount of cotton to work with. Looks more consistent, so you can cut the diameter you want. I'm looking forward to giving it a try. Another shout out to SlickWilly!

Brewdawg1181

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 30, 2017
Metro ATL
Ha- was looking at both of those, considering breaking out of my Kayfun box, but settled on the Prime, which I should have in a couple of days. Siren looks great, though. Heard too much about leakage on the Berserker unless you do bottom fill, but it's a good looking tank, too.

Sugar_and_Spice

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2010
between here and there
I like that rayon lasts longer, wicking is not my favorite chore. But, I also feel it is more tasteless than cotton, at least right in the beginning, and once your wick is broken in it's a keeper for a while. I also seem to have an easier time wicking it-- I tend to underwick and I can really get rayon stuffed in there, then feather the tails. IDK I just find it so much more hassle free. But, I don't care for the taste of cotton when I'm breaking it in, either. You can use it with a MTL coil, the last one I wicked was 1.0 resistance. It just has some different properties than cotton that I like.

Anna
Hi Anna,

I too am sensitive to the tastes of cotton and even rayon. What works for me is to break the coil and wicking in before I put the tank back together.(on new builds only) I have found that once I have everything in place and before I put the tops of the decks back on,(and the tank back together) is to saturate the coil and wick with my ejuice and hit the fire button- pulsing like I was dry burning the coil. This gets the coil and wick to start letting off the vapor, I only do it for for a few seconds, a few times and then put it all back together and fill the tank with juice. And more often than not, I drip more juice on the coil to ensure its saturation. For me, this allows that off taste of cotton to disappear. It also eliminates the wait time for the coil and wick to be ready to vape.

Just my 2 pennies.

:)

vapdivrr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2012
sarasota,fl
I vape the kayfun mini v3 , prime, and a bunch of other similiar mtl rta's and have been vaping rayon about 3 years. I'm so use to it now, but remember the first time I tried it, and remember me thinking that it gave my juices a bit of a sweeter note . I also think it's a bit more neutral then cotton and honestly I never ever get any break in taste from it . As for wicking, at 20 watts and mtl, I honestly cannot tell the difference to cotton. I do feel when wicked just right, it does last a bit longer then cotton...if you use sheet cotton, you may find rayon harder to wick, because you simply cannot measure it like you can with a thin sheet cotton pad....you do need to put a bit more into coil then cotton, but for me personally, have never stuffed in as much as possible and if I were to give a percentage of how much more, I would guess at 15 to 20......I also find trimming the tails important, especially in the km3, and would say I trim them by 20 percent on a 2.7mm coil.... and more as the coil diameter increases ....in the end, the differences imo are small compared to cotton, but I do prefer it and a 15 dollar box will last about 20 years. Rayon comes like a rope and there is 500 linear ft in a box, I usually cut the rope every 2 inches, and can usually get 2 wicks from every 2 inches, so I think that's like 12 thousands wicks....

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread