Another no nicotine hiring policy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom09

ECF Veteran
Feb 22, 2009
Germany

And an additional one from Ada County ID:
The Central District Health Department recently became the first health district in Idaho to adopt “nicotine-free” hiring practices, announcing it will no longer hire anyone who uses products that contain nicotine, including all forms of tobacco, nicotine patches, gums and electronic cigarettes. […]

Idaho article here: Ada County mulls new hiring policy to screen out smokers | Idaho Statesman

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
And on the other end of the spectrum, some businesses are actually starting to reimburse employees for using electronic cigarettes.

Shouldn't these "health" organizations also be testing BMI and not hiring obese people?
Shouldn't they also be testing for caffeine?
For alcohol use?

Are these "health" organizations really that ignorant when it comes to nicotine?
Or is there some other motivating factor behind their agenda?

house mouse

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 24, 2010
BFE
So they won't hire smokers/nicotine users because they "cost" them so much. So, how much will it cost them to treat them for free because they come in sick and are unemployed without insurance? Because everyone knows if you don't have insurance you access the hospital's emergency room for free care. Wonder how much more it will end up costing them in the long run?

Then again, if it's a truly nicotine free zone will they decide to stop treating nicotine users, with or without insurance because they cost so much? Will that be the next step? Smokers denied all health care because they smoke?

Last edited:

Mrtrucker40108

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 17, 2011
Brandenburg, KY, USA
I wish I had something constructive to add. I don't.

It just drives me bonkers. "DON'T SMOKE!" they yell. so I find an alternative that doesn't include me being miserable and they say "DON'T VAPE" either. And when Nicotine is eradicated from the land and we live in a perfect utopia what will they rage against then?

Traver

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 28, 2010
WV
So they won't hire smokers/nicotine users because they "cost" them so much. So, how much will it cost them to treat them for free because they come in sick and are unemployed without insurance? Because everyone knows if you don't have insurance you access the hospital's emergency room for free care. Wonder how much more it will end up costing them in the long run?

Then again, if it's a truly nicotine free zone will they decide to stop treating nicotine users, with or without insurance because they cost so much? Will that be the next step? Smokers denied all health care because they smoke?
They are looking for the cheapest labor they can get and with 8.5% unemployment they can pick and choose. Who comes in for treatment has nothing to do with it.

ByStander1

ECF Veteran
Feb 3, 2011
West Virginia

Turnip

ECF Veteran
Mar 24, 2011
Australia
The way this is all going utterly and absolutely chilling.
How dare they-too many lines are being crossed and the more the prohibitionists demand the more they are getting! Succeeding in getting a ban somewhere just encourages them to raise the bar -the demands get more outrageous.
I dont live in the US, but I feel for our American and Canadian cousins right now.. I read the thread about the urine sampling with disbelief.
I hope somehow the prohibitionist loons can be taken on-it's ridiculous.

Last edited:

Tom09

ECF Veteran
Feb 22, 2009
Germany
Playing Devils Advocate... so, the question is, how can an employer differentiate nic use between an analog and a PV .. ??
All nicotine consumers are positive in tests for cotinine (nicotine metabolite). Breath test for CO allows to weed out smokers. Vaping (nothing burned) would not change CO level.

cookiebun

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 6, 2011
Central Ohio
I wish I had something constructive to add. I don't.

It just drives me bonkers. "DON'T SMOKE!" they yell. so I find an alternative that doesn't include me being miserable and they say "DON'T VAPE" either. And when Nicotine is eradicated from the land and we live in a perfect utopia what will they rage against then?

Cookies.

****&&&&###

Running Wolf

ECF Veteran
Nov 22, 2011
North East Ohio
Shouldn't these "health" organizations also be testing BMI and not hiring obese people?
Shouldn't they also be testing for caffeine?
For alcohol use?

Are these "health" organizations really that ignorant when it comes to nicotine?
Or is there some other motivating factor behind their agenda?

the reason is that the same companies are not making money off of weight loss products.

Wasn't there just something in the news recently about obesity gaining ground as being the #1 health problem in America? The thing is addiction, even though it is defined a s disease is not covered under the ADA. Obesity has lobbyists for the obese, as well as the food companies that create the problem.

Because of the stigma of smoking it is more dangerous than being 80lbs overweight even though it costs the same amount of money to treat. A company can legally discriminate against smokers but not against someone who is overweight.

house mouse

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 24, 2010
BFE
And to top it off, people who give up nicotine often become overweight or obese. One study showed that females gain as much as 20 pounds.

That seems to have happened to me also as I started weaning down to zero nic. Grrrr. Back on Atkins and at least I can vape my peanut butter toffee cheesecake brownies. I'm going to add some low level nic(2mg) back in for a while also to help boost my metabolism for a bit. Thank heavens my state doesn't allow the nic nazis to test for nicotine for employment. Although I'm not looking for a job, I imagine this will start getting pushed onto current employees at some time in the states that allow it.

Last edited:

Running Wolf

ECF Veteran
Nov 22, 2011
North East Ohio
And to top it off, people who give up nicotine often become overweight or obese. One study showed that females gain as much as 20 pounds.

I'm a guy and gained about 15lb when I did my 9 months of quitting. Stimulants make you burn calories faster....

That seems to have happened to me also as I started weaning down to zero nic. Grrrr. Back on Atkins and at least I can vape my peanut butter toffee cheesecake brownies.

I do the same thing with coffee flavors when I am craving coffee but it is too late in the evening to have a cup without worrying about never getting to sleep till the sun comes up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread