Another v2 owner coming up

Status
Not open for further replies.

wegster

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
  • May 10, 2009
    NC
    Argh! I knew I shouldn't have starting reading ECF again..I come back, see the Prodigy v2 is out, waffle forever, then Casey says I can order and have it soon-ish, with a few left actually in stock. Somehow I've now got a v2 coming, to keep my USBPass and GGT company.

I'm looking forward to it - now if only Steve would offer options for resistance, and test the v2 with fully charged batteries (none of this '95% charged' stuff :D , a 3v battery fully charged is at ~3.6v), and a 510 atomizer (lower resistance) under load. :D

I really like my PS PT (on wall charger), still going strong, am hoping the Prodigy v2 'feel' with my 510 atties will be similar.

unkuser

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Aug 3, 2009
    New Yawk
    The more I use it the more I like it. The flavor is more consistent, the vapor production is always good. You guys have to try 5V vaping it's really amazing!

Now to the button. It has worked for me about 80% of the time. I checked the button and as an Engineer I thought it's not a good way to do it. I can understand why it was done like this, but as an Engineer I disagree on the design. I see some issues and some very simple ways to modify/fix it.

wegster

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
  • May 10, 2009
    NC
    I had a pair of LifePO4s waiting in the charger for it. The invoice mentioned something about "free samples" so it made me look inside the (empty) box a few times, but looks like someone else got 'em. No worries - I have plenty of pretty much everything. But, it did make me wonder if I was somehow losing it for a bit.. :)

Very first impressions:
    It's very slim, compared to my GGT.

I like the lettering, but that gigantic V has got to go. Sorry Grimm, it's just awful with the V 3x the height of the rest of the letters. But, I also don't put fake stickers on my cars either, only real mods under the hood, so..to each their own. It's worse because it overlaps the letters, so even with some careful sanding, I doubt I can leave the original Prodigy lettering on it. Maybe it will grow on me.

It feels pretty good in your hand. I was happy when I took the bottom cap off, to see a decent number of threads, and I like the knurled battery cap.

I loaded it with batteries, and grabbed the atty off my PS passthrough to do some quick comparisons.

The switch..yeah, it's sort of, well..it's not awful, but I was hitting maybe 80% of the time. The switch has a nice feel to it, but a few times I sat there puffing, waiting for vapor, then let up and pressed it again or pressed it harder. It worked best for me using my thumb.

Sitting on a conference call, I wanted to check the switch contacts, so pulled off the atty, then the endcap, then the front cap/adapter. The 510 adapter is press fit, and there were some brass shavings visible on the inside of the adapter, took a quick phone picture - not a big deal, but there. The 'top' (atty side) threads and the adapter - not so many threads. As it's stainless, I expect the tube will hold up fine, but a few more threads would give me wood. :)

Note to self - do *not* do this when your desk is full of stuff, and you are distracted. Any guesses what happened? No?

Well...that spring is pretty strong, relatively speaking. So much so, I spaced when sliding the switch assembly out, and projectile launched the switch button and spring, err, somewhere. I say somewhere, because after clearing the desk, sweeping the floor, the spring is nowhere to be found. Meh. The switch itself is sort of neat. A drilled Delrin (I'm assuming?) tube, with contacts (Aluminum?) pressed through the side. The button is a tube with the spring inside it that goes into a recess in the Delrin, with the 'top cap' to keep it in place once assembled. The 'underside' of the button has a disk, and an o-ring. The disk is the contact point..not sure what it's made of, but it has a somewhat 'mottled' appearance, maybe some nickel in it? Dunno. Also dunno where my multimeter is, or I'd check resistance across it..later. :)

So, 20 minutes later, no spring to be found. Grr! One pen coming up. Of course - the spring from the pen is too thick. Meh. Grab another, fits, compress the heck out of it and it goes back together, but a bit too tight, so remove the spring, snip it a few coils, and back together she goes. The threads - they look cut well, but they probably need to wear in, feels like there are a few minor binds, but nothing major (I used to work on cars both paid and unpaid for quite some time, no cross-threading happening here. :) ). Will pick up some lube for it later, and I bet it'll be fine in a week or two.

Cool, switch now working, well, kind of about the same as it did with the other spring - mostly ok, but not quite 100%. I swap back to the passthrough for a few vapes, then back to the Pv2, back and forth for a bit. Without testing voltages under load, or resistance of the disk, etc..I can say the Pv2 hits harder than the passthrough (on a 2A wall charger). This is with a 510 atty, I haven't tried others at this time. When it's hitting, it feels closer to my GGT with the pair of LifePO4s in it than the Passthrough. That's not a bad thing, depending on personal preference, but for me, the passthrough on a 2A wall charger is close to perfect. I'll play around a bit, and get some naolox, clean the switch up, etc, and just get used to it, but I am curious as to the resistance or voltages under load with the 510 atties - it feels to me closer to a 6v device than the passthrough. The PT may (anyone?) under load work out to 4.5-ish volts, I'm not positive. For me, I prefer at least the 510 on the PS PT than on either my GG or the Pv2. I'd love to see a few 'resistance disks' of different values made available by PS to drop the 510 vaping experience on the Pv2 to closer to the PS PT.

Please note - this is all just initial thoughts and first impression. Lately, I'm vaping mostly JC 24mg Mint Chocolate, although I tried a bit of UltraPure Rich (kind of Ecopure clone from Innovapor). Other juices, I may prefer the Pv2 on.

I'll play with the switch when I get some time, or adjust to it. I begged Steve and Casey to drop me another spring, but the one I have feels very similar to the original, so I'm not too worried there. I'd like to see a USB passthrough option made for the Pv2, even if price-wise, I'm not sure if it makes sense for PS to do or not. I'd really like to see some additional resistance disks made available, from totally subjective first impression on the juice I'm currently using in it, I'd guess double-ish the resistance of what's in there.

For a portable device, I like it. Some nits as noted- minor brass shavings, press fit adapter, undecided on the switch. Oh, and the center contact on the Pv2 isn't floating- for those that swap atties from different devices, I can see how it might seem one 'isn't working' without a floating center contact (it's wrapped in rubber, silicone, or delrin, so have some small give, though), but it's not the end of the world. Besides being press fit (meaning the 510 'battery connection' is pressed into a generic adapter that then threads onto the battery tube), I do like the PS adapters - I've yet to make much of a mess dripping with the PT or the Pv2, but I'd rather see a little extra collect in the adapter channel than run down my hands, especially at work. It's pretty solidly built, feels nice in the hand, has a nice finish (except the awful V :D ), is relatively compact and slim, and is a pretty neat 5-6-ish volt device. For some, especially the higher resistance 801 and 901 users, it may be nirvana, assuming they don't have sporadic switch issues (which may yet be easily corrected).

Oh yeah, for those that haven't yet realized that the battery tube doesn't make so much different in the vaping - when I say it vapes somewhere 'between' my PS PT and the GG at 6v, that's what it means. It vapes with 510 atties at least, close to a 6v device - plenty of vapor and throat hit, obviously depending on the liquid as well. I'll try a 901 and 801 later via adapter, and go spend some time with it now. :)

Initial impressions:
    Build quality: 8/10 - it seems pretty solid. I don't feel like it will break easily, and while the adapters are press fit, I've yet to have a problem with them on my PS PT. It's got a nice finish to it. Mostly, it's not a 10 due to nits - the switch, some shavings in the adapter, etc.

Aesthetics: 8.5/10 - subjective, but it's a pretty-ish device, to me. Just gotta smack Grimm or reduce the V. :)

Ergos/use: 6.5/10 - This is subjective, and may be seen as unfair. It's got a lot going for it. I'm fine with the switch placement, and like the size of it. I like the feel of the switch, even before the err, 'replacement spring.' I like the knurled battery end cap. I kinda like the whole package, just out of box experience with that switch is holding it back. If the switch 'hit' every time 'out of the box,' I'd be giving it a 9.

Will update after I spent some weeks with it and clean up and noalox the switch contacts, etc.

j4g3rb0mb3d

ECF Veteran
    Jun 9, 2009
    Chicago, IL
    I had a pair of LifePO4s waiting in the charger for it. The invoice mentioned something about "free samples" so it made me look inside the (empty) box a few times, but looks like someone else got 'em. No worries - I have plenty of pretty much everything. But, it did make me wonder if I was somehow losing it for a bit.. :)

Very first impressions:
    It's very slim, compared to my GGT.

I like the lettering, but that gigantic V has got to go. Sorry Grimm, it's just awful with the V 3x the height of the rest of the letters. But, I also don't put fake stickers on my cars either, only real mods under the hood, so..to each their own. It's worse because it overlaps the letters, so even with some careful sanding, I doubt I can leave the original Prodigy lettering on it. Maybe it will grow on me.

It feels pretty good in your hand. I was happy when I took the bottom cap off, to see a decent number of threads, and I like the knurled battery cap.

I loaded it with batteries, and grabbed the atty off my PS passthrough to do some quick comparisons.

The switch..yeah, it's sort of, well..it's not awful, but I was hitting maybe 80% of the time. The switch has a nice feel to it, but a few times I sat there puffing, waiting for vapor, then let up and pressed it again or pressed it harder. It worked best for me using my thumb.

Sitting on a conference call, I wanted to check the switch contacts, so pulled off the atty, then the endcap, then the front cap/adapter. The 510 adapter is press fit, and there were some brass shavings visible on the inside of the adapter, took a quick phone picture - not a big deal, but there. The 'top' (atty side) threads and the adapter - not so many threads. As it's stainless, I expect the tube will hold up fine, but a few more threads would give me wood. :)

Note to self - do *not* do this when your desk is full of stuff, and you are distracted. Any guesses what happened? No?

Well...that spring is pretty strong, relatively speaking. So much so, I spaced when sliding the switch assembly out, and projectile launched the switch button and spring, err, somewhere. I say somewhere, because after clearing the desk, sweeping the floor, the spring is nowhere to be found. Meh. The switch itself is sort of neat. A drilled Delrin (I'm assuming?) tube, with contacts (Aluminum?) pressed through the side. The button is a tube with the spring inside it that goes into a recess in the Delrin, with the 'top cap' to keep it in place once assembled. The 'underside' of the button has a disk, and an o-ring. The disk is the contact point..not sure what it's made of, but it has a somewhat 'mottled' appearance, maybe some nickel in it? Dunno. Also dunno where my multimeter is, or I'd check resistance across it..later. :)

So, 20 minutes later, no spring to be found. Grr! One pen coming up. Of course - the spring from the pen is too thick. Meh. Grab another, fits, compress the heck out of it and it goes back together, but a bit too tight, so remove the spring, snip it a few coils, and back together she goes. The threads - they look cut well, but they probably need to wear in, feels like there are a few minor binds, but nothing major (I used to work on cars both paid and unpaid for quite some time, no cross-threading happening here. :) ). Will pick up some lube for it later, and I bet it'll be fine in a week or two.

Cool, switch now working, well, kind of about the same as it did with the other spring - mostly ok, but not quite 100%. I swap back to the passthrough for a few vapes, then back to the Pv2, back and forth for a bit. Without testing voltages under load, or resistance of the disk, etc..I can say the Pv2 hits harder than the passthrough (on a 2A wall charger). This is with a 510 atty, I haven't tried others at this time. When it's hitting, it feels closer to my GGT with the pair of LifePO4s in it than the Passthrough. That's not a bad thing, depending on personal preference, but for me, the passthrough on a 2A wall charger is close to perfect. I'll play around a bit, and get some naolox, clean the switch up, etc, and just get used to it, but I am curious as to the resistance or voltages under load with the 510 atties - it feels to me closer to a 6v device than the passthrough. The PT may (anyone?) under load work out to 4.5-ish volts, I'm not positive. For me, I prefer at least the 510 on the PS PT than on either my GG or the Pv2. I'd love to see a few 'resistance disks' of different values made available by PS to drop the 510 vaping experience on the Pv2 to closer to the PS PT.

Please note - this is all just initial thoughts and first impression. Lately, I'm vaping mostly JC 24mg Mint Chocolate, although I tried a bit of UltraPure Rich (kind of Ecopure clone from Innovapor). Other juices, I may prefer the Pv2 on.

I'll play with the switch when I get some time, or adjust to it. I begged Steve and Casey to drop me another spring, but the one I have feels very similar to the original, so I'm not too worried there. I'd like to see a USB passthrough option made for the Pv2, even if price-wise, I'm not sure if it makes sense for PS to do or not. I'd really like to see some additional resistance disks made available, from totally subjective first impression on the juice I'm currently using in it, I'd guess double-ish the resistance of what's in there.

For a portable device, I like it. Some nits as noted- minor brass shavings, press fit adapter, undecided on the switch. Oh, and the center contact on the Pv2 isn't floating- for those that swap atties from different devices, I can see how it might seem one 'isn't working' without a floating center contact (it's wrapped in rubber, silicone, or delrin, so have some small give, though), but it's not the end of the world. Besides being press fit (meaning the 510 'battery connection' is pressed into a generic adapter that then threads onto the battery tube), I do like the PS adapters - I've yet to make much of a mess dripping with the PT or the Pv2, but I'd rather see a little extra collect in the adapter channel than run down my hands, especially at work. It's pretty solidly built, feels nice in the hand, has a nice finish (except the awful V :D ), is relatively compact and slim, and is a pretty neat 5-6-ish volt device. For some, especially the higher resistance 801 and 901 users, it may be nirvana, assuming they don't have sporadic switch issues (which may yet be easily corrected).

Oh yeah, for those that haven't yet realized that the battery tube doesn't make so much different in the vaping - when I say it vapes somewhere 'between' my PS PT and the GG at 6v, that's what it means. It vapes with 510 atties at least, close to a 6v device - plenty of vapor and throat hit, obviously depending on the liquid as well. I'll try a 901 and 801 later via adapter, and go spend some time with it now. :)

Initial impressions:
    Build quality: 8/10 - it seems pretty solid. I don't feel like it will break easily, and while the adapters are press fit, I've yet to have a problem with them on my PS PT. It's got a nice finish to it. Mostly, it's not a 10 due to nits - the switch, some shavings in the adapter, etc.

Aesthetics: 8.5/10 - subjective, but it's a pretty-ish device, to me. Just gotta smack Grimm or reduce the V. :)

Ergos/use: 6.5/10 - This is subjective, and may be seen as unfair. It's got a lot going for it. I'm fine with the switch placement, and like the size of it. I like the feel of the switch, even before the err, 'replacement spring.' I like the knurled battery end cap. I kinda like the whole package, just out of box experience with that switch is holding it back. If the switch 'hit' every time 'out of the box,' I'd be giving it a 9.

Will update after I spent some weeks with it and clean up and noalox the switch contacts, etc.

You missed out on the simple PS logo Prodigy V2's.

4254234133_a2b4d4b507.jpg

Argh! I knew I shouldn't have starting reading ECF again..I come back, see the Prodigy v2 is out, waffle forever, then Casey says I can order and have it soon-ish, with a few left actually in stock. Somehow I've now got a v2 coming, to keep my USBPass and GGT company.

I'm looking forward to it - now if only Steve would offer options for resistance, and test the v2 with fully charged batteries (none of this '95% charged' stuff :D , a 3v battery fully charged is at ~3.6v), and a 510 atomizer (lower resistance) under load. :D

I really like my PS PT (on wall charger), still going strong, am hoping the Prodigy v2 'feel' with my 510 atties will be similar.

Enjoy!! I cannot wait to order mine!! :)

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread