Anthony Vapes: Asmodus Minikin Boost Kodama Tech Review

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anthony_Vapes

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 23, 2017
Hi All, Anthony Vapes back here with my review of the Asmodus Minikin Boost Kodama mod. Disclaimer: This product was sent to me from elementvape.com

Review Disclaimer
I review products for what they are with no account of where it comes from or who makes it. The test results are the results for what is in my hand. Due to possible QC difference your experience may vary. I spend more time with products then most reviewers and try to be thorough, do disassemblies to check for design flaws, do accuracy testing, and stress testing, something that is typically done in maintenance industries to try and “force” a failure or diagnose a potential failure point to give me an idea of a devices longevity. With that said, there is no way for myself or anyone to predict if a device will last 6 months, 1 year, 5 years etc. Any manufactured item from cars to phones to computers to mods have a possibility of arriving DOA or having a small % failure rate. There is no way to predict this or quantify this. That’s why warranties and lemon laws exist. I can only review what I have in my hand for better or for worse. Contrary to popular belief, there is no special review samples of higher quality. Most of the time personally i get retail versions, the few times i’ve gotten early releases they are usually worse than the final retail version.

Introduction:
The Asmodus Minikin Boost Kodama is a dual 18650 155 watt mod. The “kodama” version is the one that uses a stabilized wood and acrylic body and the same chipset as the original boost. It’s available in 3 colors purple, green and gold for the body. And 2 colors for the metal either SS or gold. Presentation is excellent as it comes in a nice leather pouch with a microfiber cloth included.

Manufacturer's Specs
  • Dual 18650 High Amp Batteries - Not Included
  • Wattage Output Range: 5-155W
  • Max Voltage Output: 7.5V
  • Temperature Range: 212-572F
  • Atomizer Min Resistance: 0.1ohm
  • Versatile Temperature Control Module
  • Supports Ni200 Nickel, Titanium, and SS 304/316/317 Heating Elements
  • Temperature Coefficient of Resistance (TCR) Functionality
  • Temperature Factor of Resistivity (TFR) Functionality
  • Latest "Curve" Output Mode
  • Intuitive OLED Display
  • Three-Button Operations
  • Oversized Firing Mechanism
  • Low Voltage Protection
  • Short Circuit Protection
  • Low Resistance Protection
  • Low Battery Warning
  • MicroUSB Port
  • 510 Connection
Included in box:
  • 1 Minikin Boost Kodama 155W Box Mod
  • Instructional Manual
  • leather Pouch
Pictures and test results
Chart:
MQKf0ac.png

Spreadsheet:
bdC1kjT.png

Stock Shot Colors:
asmodus_minikin_boost_kodama_155w_tc_box_mod.jpg

These pics belong to @Rixsta who let me use them in this review

IMG_20180118_162426.jpg

IMG_20180118_162438.jpg

IMG_20180118_162448.jpg

IMG_20180118_162505.jpg

IMG_20180118_162514.jpg

Size comparisons

Qa0Db38.jpg

WEcupRX.jpg

G0B32Qc.jpg

t3sRu5p.jpg

Handchecks:

ttg9nRp.jpg

lzUvJV6.jpg

1i9ZfJ8.jpg

6cQx72z.jpg

Initial Impressions and features
When I first got this Mod, I was pretty impressed with the looks of it. The stabwood is beautiful. One of the nicest if not the nicest i’ve seen. The entire body is one piece of wood. It’s got a nice shine to it and feels smooth to the touch with a gloss finish. The presentation is great as well, it comes in a nice leather pouch for safekeeping. It’s the same chip and screen as the minikin boost but in the wood body. This mod is mostly about the looks that’s what’s going to justify the price tag and it’s a winner in that department for sure.

Watt Mode Performance
Let’s get into some data. I ran my normal testing. Testing resistances were done at .11 , .15, .2, and .51 ohms. wattage points were max (155), 100, 75, 50, and 25. At .11 ohms it maxed out at 123 watts and 33 amps. The 33 amps is very low for dual battery mods nowadays however they list it at 35 amps max so it’s pretty close to their specs. I’d call it accurately rated so they aren’t lying but still would have liked a higher limit. For the rest of the testing it hit high 1 watt to low 3 watts so pretty accurate. Never off by my then 3. At .15 it maxed out at 163 watts. The rest of the testing it was on point to 2 watts high so again very accurate outside of the max setting never being off by more than 2 watts. For the .2 test it maxed out at 167 watts. For the rest of the testing it was high 2-7 watts. No complaints there. For the .51 testing it maxed out at 97 watts and 7.048 volts. The volts shows there is no boost circuit it’s buck only but it’s still an average number for buck only mods as average is around 7. The rest of the testing it was high 3-8 watts. No complaints there.

Overall i found this to be a good performer in power mode. they list the mod at 35 amps which is pretty accurate. I got 33 amps from it. It’s on the low side for dual mods but it does pretty much meet it’s listed spec so hard to ding it for that. As far as the watts go it does do 167 so it does meet and exceed it’s listed wattage. The 7.048V limit shows it has no boost circuit and is buck only. But is average for dual battery buck only mods. It read resistance very accurate as well. The mod and chip itself handled my stress testing very well. It didn’t get hot at all. One of the cooler running mods out there. Output was smooth and consistent the whole time. Overall a very good performer in power mode that is accurately rated.

The power curve mode works excellent as well. You get 5 settings of watts and duration so it’s very customizable and easy to program. There are no preheats in regular power mode so if you wanted a preheat you’d have to use curve mode but again it’s easy to set up

Temperature Control
Using SS316 wire with the default SS mode and also TCR mode using 00092. I tested 6 builds ranging from single round spaced single and dual coils, to fancy single coil and Fancy dual coil builds. I didn't see much of a difference in if any in using TCR mode. The mod itself has separate modes for each grade of SS wire so i used the SS316 mode. There is a watt limit in TC but it’s 120 watts so no complaints with that. It’s only 35 short of the power mode limit. With that said, I found this mod to be very inconsistent. Sometimes it would work great, other times it would barely fire. There really wasn’t a rhyme or reason or pattern between my builds. It basically worked when it wanted to. Due to that I can’t give any guidelines of what will work and it’s not something i’d recommend for temp control so it gets a fail there from me.

Other Usage Notes
I didn’t take this apart personally, not that it would be hard to, but it almost would seem like a shame to do so. I didn't have any issues 510 pin on the mod with all the attys i used on it. 25mm atomizers won’t have any overhang. It looks like around a 25-26mm atomizer would sit flush.. The mod is built very solid and feels durable. It’s a stabwood housing with a few metal plates screwed into it. Still I wouldn’t want to drop it personally. I have very minor button rattle on the fire button only. The battery door style i’m not a fan of. It’s a slide in contact plate like that of the squid DB. with that said it’s a little tight at first and loosens up over time. I dind’t have any issues with it, but again i’m just not a fan of the style. The fire button is nice and large and clicky as well. The stabwood is beautiful with a glossy finish.

This mod has quite a few modes as well. Obviously you have power as well as TC modes for Ni200, Ti, and SS(430, 317,316, 304) as well as TCR and TFR Modes, and Full watt curve curve programmable on chip, The screen layout is simple and gives you the necessary info as well as individual battery monitors.

Usage is pretty easy. 5 click on like most mods. Off is a little different. You use 5 clicks to enter the menu at which point you use the fire button to scroll. You then use the plus or minus to select. After that each sub menu you use the plus and minus and fire button to select. It’s not bad but takes a little getting used to. To turn it off you need to scroll to the menu where it says “system on” and use the plus or minus buttons to accept turning it off.

I’ll also mention someone had mentioned possible issues with the mod reading resistance. I haven’t encountered any such thing.

Pros:
  • Power performance
  • Beautiful Stabwood
  • accurately rated
  • Build Quality
  • Sleek simple design
  • good 510 pin
  • 25-26mm atomizers fit without overhang
  • Nice leather
  • power curve mode
Cons:
  • Small fire button rattle
  • not a fan of the battery door
  • screen is a little small
  • Temp control performance
Conclusion
So with all that said, do I recommend this mod or not. I Don’t like to do hard yes or no this one is kind of a niche. It’s expensive! No way around it. What your paying for is the looks and the stabwood. It’s not necessary for everyone it’s for collectors and people who want a beautiful regulated stabwood mod that works well in power mode and curve mode. If your looking for a high end beautiful mod and don’t care about temp control, i say go for it. If your wondering if it does anything special for the price tag, it doesn't. I’ll be adding it to my list as a power mode only mod.

It can be purchased here asMODus Minikin Boost Kodama 155W TC Box Mod | High-End Vape Device for 329.95 but they have a code that expires today (01-23-18) code “JAN45” that knocks 45 dollars off that price bringing it to 284.95

This is Anthony Vapes just keeping it honest, hopefully you all can say the same and i’ll catch you on my next review.

For good recommendations feel free to check out my google sheet of recommendations located here this sheet will be updated regularly so feel free to bookmark it.

Again i want to thank Elementvape.com for sending me these for review.

Reactions: Rixsta
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread