Anthony Vapes: Augvape V200 Mod Tech Review

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anthony_Vapes

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 23, 2017
Hi All, Anthony Vapes back here with my review of the Augvape V200 mod.

Product Disclaimer
This product was sent to me from Augvape

Review Disclaimer
I review products for what they are with no account of where it comes from or who makes it. The test results are the results for what is in my hand. Due to possible QC difference your experience may vary. There is no way for myself or anyone to predict if a device will last 6 months, 1 year, 5 years etc. Any manufactured item from cars to phones to computers to mods have a possibility of arriving DOA or having a small percent failure rate. There is no way to predict this or quantify this. That’s why warranties and lemon laws exist. I can only review what I have in my hand for better or for worse. Contrary to popular belief, there is no special review samples of higher quality. Most of the time personally i get retail versions, the few times i’ve gotten early releases they are usually worse than the final retail version.

Reviewer Disclaimer
I decided to add this disclaimer in as i feel it’s important for people to know their source of the review. I’ve been vaping since late 2011. I’ve vaped all the styles from MTL to RLH to DTL. tanks, RTAs, RDAs, you name it. I do prefer the DTL and RLH style over MTL personally. My main focus from an atomizer is flavor. For mods i’ve used mechs and regulated mods. I’m an avid temp control vaper but enjoy power mode as well and the occasion mech useage for nostalgia. I’ve been doing reviews since late 2016. As of Jan 2018 I’ve done over 100 written reviews and done over 150 video reviews on my channel, Although i’ve taken a break from videos in the past few months to focus on written reviews.

I spend a lot of time helping vapers on forums as well and try to answer all the questions and comments on my reviews. I’m not an “out of the box” reviewer. I do my best to be thorough at all times. All mods get tested with an oscilloscope and stress tested. At times if needed i’ll disassemble them as well. Rebuildables get multiple builds in them. Tanks i use all coils until the die or a minimum of 2 weeks if they don’t die sooner. I do this for the community to help people find good products and avoid bad ones. In my opinion a reviewer works for the community and nobody else. It’s our job to inform vapers of issues and not be advertisers as well as provide constructive criticism from a place of knowledge back to companies with these reviews so they can improve and make better products in the future.

Recommendations and Past Review Links
written reviews list here

Youtube Channel here

Spreadhseet of Recommendations here

Best of 2017 list here

Introduction:
The augvape V200 is the first mod from long time atomizer maker Augvape, most famous for their merlin and boreas line of atomizers. It’s a dual 18650 power mode only mod with a design inspired by the Honda B18C Vtech Engine which they nailed. In keeping with the car theme the 510 itself is modeled after a rim on a car. It’s listed at 200 watts and is available in 3 colors Black, White, and Red.

Manufacturer's Specs:
  • Material: Zinc Alloy
  • Weight: 165g
  • Size: 87.54529.2mm
  • Standby current: < 500 μA
  • Input voltage: 0-8.4V
  • Power Range: 5-200 W
  • Resistance Range: 0.05-3.0 ohms
  • Charging current: 1.2A
  • Three Setting Output Mode:Normal,Bypass,V Mode
Included in box:
  • 1 Augvape V200
  • 1 MicroUSB Cable
  • Instructional Manual
Pictures and test results
Chart:

W6820aN.png

Spreadsheet:

ILd66Q7.png

Stock Shot Colors:
1%E5%B1%8FB.jpg

Stock Shot 510 pin:
4%E5%B1%8FB.jpg

Stock Shot adjustment dial:
5%E5%B1%8FB.jpg

B18C Engine:
dscn5877.jpg

Size comparisons

MuyG0fZ.jpg

n2BZq0u.jpg

Ei3UHFD.jpg

Handcheck:

CfPjHDN.jpg

Initial Impressions and features
When I first got this Mod, i was pretty impressed with the feel of it. It’s solid as hell, i will also say i dropped it a few times (once by accident a couple on purpose which i’ll explain later) and not even a scratch. It’s got a heavy well built feel to it. The design is made to look like the Honda B18C Engine and I will say they nailed it (pics above) right down to using the oil cap as the adjust dial and hiding the fire button on top of the screen. I’ve been using it side by side a lot with the squid DB V2.1 which is a similar mod as well. Overall though i was pretty impressed with the mod

Watt Mode Performance
Let’s get into some data. I ran my normal testing. Testing resistances were done at .11 , .15, .2, and .5 ohms. wattage points were max (200), 150, 100, 75, 50 and 25. At .11 ohms it maxed out at 138 watts and 35 amps. For the rest of the testing it hit low 1-9 watts the lower the wattage the more accurate it got. Pretty standard for most mods at this resistance although the 35 amps is on the low side for dual mods. At .15 it maxed out at 149 watts. At 150 it was 29 watts low but at 100 or less never off by more than 4. For the .2 test it maxed out at 150 watts. For the rest of the testing it was never off by more than 3 watts. For the .5 testing it maxed out at 108 watts and 7.363 volts. The rest of the testing it was high 2 to 7 watts. The volts shows there is no boost circuit in this mod.

Overall i found this to be a decent performer in power mode. Under 100 watts it’s right in line with most good mods. Also at the .2 it was good all around. The hitting weak at .11 ohms is pretty normal as well. What i have issues with on this mod is that it’s not a 200 watt mod. It’s a 150 watt mod. I’m not a stickler to complain about a few watts like for example if it claimed 200 but did 190 i’m ok with that, but being 50 watts off is just too much IMO they should have made it a 150 watt mod as that’s what the chip is capable of. Definitely not 200 or anything close. The amp limit is on the lower side for dual battery mods. The average these days is 40. They list the theoretical 8.4 volts max like most dual battery non boost mods do but it’s theoretically and will never happen. The volt limit is right in line with most dual battery non boost mods however.

This mod also has a “V mode” which claims to “make ramp up faster” it’s just a simple hard preheat. Nothing more. So normal mode is regular output, V mode is hard preheat. There is also a bypass mode which i didn’t test and never test. Output was smooth and consistent no issues there. It does read live resistance, however when you install a new coil it asks for new coil or old coil and if you select new, it automatically sets the wattage at 10 watts. I’m not sure why anyone thought this was a good idea. I’ve seen mods do an auto setting depending on the resistance, but to just make it 10 watts every time no matter what seems counterproductive. I guess it’s ok to prevent people from burning coils if they forgot to change wattage after changing atomizers. The mod did get a little warm in my stress testing, but never got hot or shut down. Not a big deal but worth mentioning. As long as you aren’t maxing it out and chain vaping it, you won’t encounter any issue.

Temperature Control Performance
This mod does not have temp control mode.

Other Usage Notes
The mod is designed to look like the Honda B18C engine and they nailed it. They use the oil fill as the dial to adjust your settings. It’s not a full rotating dial like that of the squid DB mod, instead you either hold it up or hold it down to adjust then it springs back to the center when you let go. It’s a momentary switch. The fire button is as hidden as they come. It’s large and right on top of the screen but without pointing it out you probably wouldn’t notice it. It 100% blends in with the screen. The screen is a good size and displays the info you need. You have your mode, power setting, resistance, puff timer, and voltage. In V Mode voltage is replaced by Joules on the screen. It also has individual battery monitors with the actual percent and not just the bars. Very nice touch. The mod adjusts in full watt increments.

Anecdotal but worth mentioning as well, i have 3 other friends who got one of these to review. 1 other one got the white as i did. The other 2 got the red. The 2 with the red both complained about the battery door popping open way too easy. Remember earlier when i said i dropped it on purpose several times it was to see if the battery door would pop open and it didn’t so it could be an early run issue or related to a run of red mods not present on the white mod. I can only review what is in my hand and had no such issue, but it was worth the mention IMO. I also had no issues with the 510 pin nor have i heard any from the other reviewers. It feels like a great one for sure. It features a centered 510 which is nice but the mod is 29.2mm wide so 30mm will overhang very little on the front and back. I wish they would have made it 1mm bigger so 30mm didn’t overhang. An oversight in my opinion

Usage is simple. 5 clicks to turn it on or off. When off if you click fire a small green LED under the fire button will blink. 3 clicks to enter the menu and up and down to navigate. Click fire to select your mode. To lock the wattage press up on the dial and fire at the same time. You can still fire but the wattage won’t adjust. Do the same to unlock it. Really intuitive and easy to use since it’s a power only mod without a million modes or settings.

Pros:
  • Power performance under 100 watts
  • Build Quality
  • Honda Engine Look is on point
  • color options
  • Centered 510 pin
  • Simple and easy to use
  • Full Watt Increment adjustments
  • Individual Battery monitors with actual percent
  • V-mode option
  • nice hidden fire button
  • no rattle whatsoever
  • Can lock wattage setting
Cons:
  • not 200 watts, really 150 watts
  • low amp limit compared to most dual battery mods
  • sets mod to 10 watts everytime you change atomizer
  • could have went a little bigger to accommodate 30mm atomizers without overhang (1mm)
Conclusion
So with all that said, do I recommend this mod or not? I don’t do the hard yes and no, and subjectively I like the mod and i think if you vape 100 or less you’d probably enjoy it as well, however those familiar with my reviews know that companies need to bring their A game to get a recommendation from me, so objectively speaking due to the overstated wattage and low amp limit i’m going to lean a little towards the no. You can't earn a recommendation from me on inflated specs. If they had listed it as a 150 watt mod however, it would have likely gotten a yes as for most people the amp limit isn’t any issue. Even if it had reached at least in the 180s i would have probably given it a yes. If I was a reviewer who didn’t test mods and didn’t vape over 100 watts on it, I would likely have given it a yes so I assume we’ll see a lot of those reviews as well. But all those things are IFs and this is reality so I have to stand by my leaning towards the no. I won’t be adding it to my sheet.

This is Anthony Vapes just keeping it honest, hopefully you all can say the same and i’ll catch you on my next review.

Where to buy
EDIT: Augvape said my china link was not an authorized retailer so I changed it to their official store.

China 67.99 here All colors in stock

USA for 57.95 here white in stock only

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread