Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 23, 2017
Hi All, Anthony Vapes back here with my review of the Coil Master Ray rta

Product Disclaimer
This product was sent to me from Coil Master

Review Disclaimer
I review products for what they are with no account of where it comes from or who makes it. The test results are the results for what is in my hand. Due to possible QC difference your experience may vary. There is no way for myself or anyone to predict if a device will last 6 months, 1 year, 5 years etc. Any manufactured item from cars to phones to computers to mods have a possibility of arriving DOA or having a small percent failure rate. There is no way to predict this or quantify this. That’s why warranties and lemon laws exist. I can only review what I have in my hand for better or for worse. Contrary to popular belief, there is no special review samples of higher quality. Most of the time personally i get retail versions, the few times i’ve gotten early releases they are usually worse than the final retail version.

Reviewer Disclaimer
I decided to add this disclaimer in as i feel it’s important for people to know their source of the review. I’ve been vaping since late 2011. I’ve vaped all the styles from MTL to RLH to DTL. tanks, RTAs, RDAs, you name it. I do prefer the DTL and RLH style over MTL personally. My main focus from an atomizer is flavor. For mods i’ve used mechs and regulated mods. I’m an avid temp control vaper but enjoy power mode as well and the occasion mech useage for nostalgia. I’ve been doing reviews since late 2016. As of Jan 2018 I’ve done over 100 written reviews and done over 150 video reviews on my channel, Although i’ve taken a break from videos in the past few months to focus on written reviews.

I spend a lot of time helping vapers on forums as well and try to answer all the questions and comments on my reviews. I’m not an “out of the box” reviewer. I do my best to be thorough at all times. All mods get tested with an oscilloscope and stress tested. At times if needed i’ll disassemble them as well. Rebuildables get multiple builds in them. Tanks i use all coils until the die or a minimum of 2 weeks if they don’t die sooner. I do this for the community to help people find good products and avoid bad ones. In my opinion a reviewer works for the community and nobody else. It’s our job to inform vapers of issues and not be advertisers as well as provide constructive criticism from a place of knowledge back to companies with these reviews so they can improve and make better products in the future.

Recommendations and Past Review Links
written reviews list here

Youtube Channel here

Spreadhseet of Recommendations here

Best of 2017 list here

Introduction:
Coil Master is a company that’s been around for a while. Pretty famous in vaping for their meters and tool kits, but now they are taking a dive into making atomizers and the Ray is their first Dual coil RTA made. It’s available in 1 color, black.

Manufacturer's Specs
  • 24mm in diameter for glass tank
  • Max 24.2mm in diameter for deck
  • 34mm in height (not including drip tip and 510 contact)
  • Capacity: 2ml
  • Weight: 50g
  • Velocity style deck
  • Trapezoidal airflow design
  • Funnel-shape designed delrin drip tip
  • Air-releasing top fill design
  • Dual adjustable air flow control
  • PEEK insulator
  • Gold plated bottom pin
  • 304 stainless steel base & body
Included in box:
  • RAY RTA x1
  • Extra glass x1
  • Extra screw x4
  • Hex driver x1
  • Clapton coil x2
  • O-ring x6
  • Cotton x1
  • Manual x1
Pictures:
Stock Shot:
BVufjYH.png

Stock Shot Disassembled:
2zigKn8.png

Stock Shot Box:
RKJfTty.png

Build Pics:

RJWIbFj.jpg

DjmuRil.jpg

uefhTJz.jpg

Z5UAcKm.jpg

Pics on mods:

TeDGNp0.jpg

mzaeMVI.jpg

WC9riBk.jpg

SExJBbt.jpg

Initial Impressions and features
When I first got this RTA it was pretty interesting. Interesting because it felt like an RTA from a few years ago in it’s design. It’s like a smaller 24mm version of the original griffin rta but without a JFC. it’s a velocity deck so no surprises there. I must have used like 50 atomizers with that deck in my lifetime by this point.

Build Deck (pics above)
Let’s talk about the build deck now. It’s a velocity deck so not much to say that hasn’t been said in the past. Obviously nothing innovative but still to this day the velocity style 2 post , 2 hole per post deck is the easiest dual coil deck IMO for new vapers to build on and overall still one of the best so kudos to the guy that did it first. It has large post holes and good quality hex screws as well. Reminded me a lot of the tsunami 24 RDA as far as building on it, quality, post hole size etc.

Wicking is pretty easy overall. There are clear cut indents where to fill your cotton just don’t overstuff it and you’ll be fine. I had no leaks or issues but i’ve built this style many times. Too little cotton and it may leak, too much and it’s dry hit city. So someone just learning will probably need a little trial and error.

Performance
Performance wise, I used it as a dual coil RTA only. I only ran 4 builds in this. It’s a pretty straightforward RTA. 3 different fancy ones (2 at 3mmID 1 at 2.5mm ID) and 1 simple round build (3mm ID) I found it worked good with all the builds. 3mm is the max i’d recommend for this RTA. The deck pretty much automatically lines up the coils for you over the air so no need to worry there. I prefer the 3mm ones personally but the smaller one wasn’t bad by any means. Overall the flavor was pretty average for a dual coil RTA It has a good amount of air full DTL not restricted but not a lot of air. Kind of right past restricted territory.

Overall Impressions, Details, and Extras
It’s a bottom airflow RTA and the AFC is smooth and is easy to adjust and it’s on a stopper. It has a standard top full where you unscrew the top cap and expose the 2 large fill holes. The top cap has some knurling on it as well and is easy to grip and unscrew. It’s easy to fill with any bottle type or just pouring juice right in. I’ve used 70/30, 80/20 and “max VG” juices in it. I prefer the 70/30 for this. Thicker juices take a lot of time to get between the glass and the chamber. I wish there was a little more clearance there. It comes with a delrin “810” drip tip. I use the quotation marks because it needs ones with decent sized o-rings. The press fit ones will be too loose. The quality is ok all the threading is really nice and smooth but the rest of the parts feel a little on the lighter side. it’s easy to take apart in 4 (5 if you include the glass) pieces total. It’s a 24mm diameter so should not overhang on most mods (24.2 to be exact according to their specs). The 2ml capacity is IMO way too small for a dual coil RTA. I would have liked a bigger capacity personally. At least 4ml would have been better. There is no JFC either on this RTA but it’s not a GTA style one. It’s more similar to the reload RTA. I had no leaking or flooding issues and it handled chain vaping pretty good as well. The airflow however is my biggets gripe. It’s a loud RTA even fully wide open there is a slight whistle. Closing it down makes it even worse. About half air sounds like a train whistle. It was worse with the 3mm builds then it was with the 2.5mm build but very noticeable still.

Pros:
  • Build Quality
  • Top Fill
  • compatible with many 810 tips
  • good quality hex post screws
  • easy to build and wick
  • easy to adjust airflow
  • price point
Cons:
  • small capacity
  • flavor is just average
  • only 1 color options
  • loud airflow
Conclusion
So with all that said, do I recommend this RTA?I don’t like to do a hard yes or no, this one i’m going to lean towards the no. it’s just average in its performance and the loud air really bothers me as does the really small capacity. Just too many drawbacks you don’t see on RTAs nowadays. If this was 2015 i’d probably say yes, but it’s not and it’s 2018 and so many choices out there without the issue and better performance. I can't see myself wanting to use it again with all the other dual coil RTAs i currently have personally.

It can be purchased here for 25.99

This is Anthony Vapes just keeping it honest, hopefully you all can say the same and i’ll catch you on my next review.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread