Anthony Vapes: Desire Mad Mod Kit Tech Review

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anthony_Vapes

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 23, 2017
Hi All, Anthony Vapes back here with my review of the Desire Mad mod Kit with M-tank. Please see bottom for disclaimers and links. Note: This is a retail version and not marked as a sample

Introduction:
The Desire Mad Mod Kit is a kit that contains their latest mod the Mad Mod, paired with their First Tank the M-tank. Desire is a company that’s been around in vaping for quite some time mostly making RDAs but in 2018 started making mods like the rage and cut squonk mods i’ve reviewed. The Mad Mod is a single 2x700 (takes 21700, 20700, or 18650) mod rated at 108 watts and is styled like a simple rectangle box. Looking around i don’t see the mod itself and only the kit for around 60 USD at elementvape which is the cheapest. It’s available in 5 colors Red, Tiffany Blue, Silver, Black, and Purple.

Manufacturer's Specs: Mod
  • Dimensions - 146.5mm by 37mm by 25mm (Includes Tank)
  • Single High-Amp 21700 Battery - Not Included
  • Optional Single High-Amp 18650 Battery - Battery Sleeve Included
  • Wattage Output Range: 5-108W
  • Resistance Range: 0.08-3.0ohm
  • Output Voltage Range: 0-8V
  • Versatile Temperature Control Suite
  • TCR Mode
  • Ni200, Titanium, Stainless Steel Compatibility
  • Power Multiple Graph (PMG) Mode
  • 0.96" OLED Screen
  • Hinged Bottom Battery Door
  • Short-Circuit Protection
  • Low Voltage Protection
  • Over-Charging Protection
  • Over-Vaping Protection
  • Lom Auto Lock Protection
  • Micro USB Charging Port
  • 510 Connection Thread
  • Available in Black, Blue, Purple, Red, Silver
Manufacturer's Specs: Tank
  • 25mm Diameter
  • 3mL Juice Capacity
  • Superior Stainless Steel Construction
  • Pyrex Glass Reinforcement
  • 0.2ohm Coil Head
  • Dual Adjustable Bottom Airflow
  • Top Push-to-Slide Fill System
  • Delrin Wide Bore Drip Tip
  • 24 Gold-Plated 510 Connection
  • Available in Black, Silver, Tiffany Blue, Silver, Red, Purple
Included in box:
  • 1 Desire 108W Mad Mod
  • 1 M-Tank
  • 1 18650 Converter Sleeve
  • 1 USB Charger
  • 1 Accessories Packet
  • 1 Glass Tank
  • 1 0.2ohm Regular Coil
  • 1 User Manual
Picture Album
album

Initial Impressions and features
When I first got this Kit, I knew I was already working on the review for the tank which i reviewed a few weeks back so I won’t be talking about the tank today, I’ll just focus on the mod. The mod itself though really impressed my from the start. It’s a very simple mod making it feel like a throwback to the old days and a little different from the normal crazy designs we see from desire. It’s a simple small rectangle mod that reminded me of the battlestar mini in a way but the mad mod takes bigger batteries. I like that it can take a 21700, 20700 or 18650 battery but in a small size. It’s got a good size screen on the front and feels really nicely built with some weight to it. I love all the color options as well. They sent me a purple and it looks great with the matching tank. Overall I liked the simplicity of it and i think many people wanted to see less flashy mods as well and this fits the bill.

Watt Mode Performance (chart and spreadsheet in picture album)
Now let’s get into some data. I ran my normal testing. I used Samsung 30T batteries for the testing. Testing resistances were done at .12, .15, .2, and .62 ohms. wattage points were max (108), 80, 60, 40 and 20. At .12 ohms it maxed out at 94 watts and 28 amps. For the rest of the testing it was a little on the low side 2-8 watts. Slight struggle but on par with most mods. At .15 it maxed out at 112 watts. The rest were pretty good 1-3 watts high or on point. For the .2 test it maxed out at 112 watts. Again really good but a little on the high side 2-4 watts mostly. For the .62 testing it maxed out at 111 watts and 8.31+ volts. For the rest of the testing a bit high 2-10 watts which is common. The volts shows there is a boost circuit in this mod like most single battery mods have.

Overall I felt the performance of this mod was really good. It barely struggled with the .12 ohm build which is common for most mods at that resistance to struggle a bit. It mostly hits slightly high. I was able to get 112 watts max, so I consider it to be accurately rated at 108 watts. The 8.31 volt limit shows there is a boost circuit. Their manual lists the max Volts at 8V so it exceeds that and could be higher since i was capped off by the watt limit. They list an amp limit on this mod of 35A. The most i got was 28 with a .12 ohm coil which is on the higher end of the average range for a single battery mod (25-30) but a bit short of the listed spec. They should have listed it at 30 IMO but 35 isn’t a gross overstatement. Just a slight one. Personally If i was listing the specs I’d call the mod 112 watts, 8.4V and 30A. So overall not bad listings except the amp limit which i feel is slightly overstated. The mod never got warm when stressing it at all. The mod also fires very fast and the preheats all work correctly. The mod has a PMG (watt curve which works well but is kinda funky to program at first.

Simplified TLDR Power Performance summary
Mod performance is really good. Mostly hits just a few watts off on the high side. Accurately rated for watts (112), Yes boost circuit, average amp limit of 28 but falls short of the 35A listed. Volts tested at 8-31+ so a little better than the 8V listed. PMG (watt curve) works as it should.

Temperature Control Performance
Using SS316 wire in SS mode, I tested 8 builds. 1 simple round single coil, 1 simple round dual Coil, 3 large fancy single coils builds, and 3 large fancy dual coil builds. The mod has full adjustable watts and full adjustable TCR in TCR mode but no adjustable TCR in preset TC modes like SS, Ni200, and Ti. I Didn’t use TCR mode as i didn’t feel a need to. With that said in SS mode the TC was surprisingly good. I wasn’t expecting much based on their other mods I reviewed but I had no issues at all. It was always consistent, smooth throttle, no dry hits and a warm vape in the 400-430F range so it does feel slightly warm and i suggest starting around 380F and working your way up until you get the temp you like. No complaints there at all. Adjusting the watts also changes the ramp up. Even at the tail end of my review i decided to do another double check and leave the mod on 420F and SS mode and throw on 4 different builds back to back again to be sure. 3 fancy dual coil builds and 1 fancy single coil build. I never had to adjust anything and all 4 builds worked great. Overall pretty impressed and a good mod for TC

Other Usage Notes
The mod uses a standard 5 click to turn on and off. The menu system is a bit outdated and clunky. It’s like the old school wismec one and similar to other desire mods. It’s one area i feel they really need to improve on and make a better to navigate menu system. 3 clicks takes you to menu mode where things on the screen blink. Use the up button to cycle modes *watts, TC NI, TC TI, TC SS, TC TCR (M1, M2, M3), and PMG (Watt Curve). Use the down button to change other settings on the mod liek get into programming the PMG mode or changing the watts in TC mode. Press fire to accept. Really old school and annoying to use IMO. Using up and fire sets the resistance and down and fire clears the puffs. Up and Down locks the adjustment buttons but you can still fire. To program the TCR M slots turn the device off then press fire and up to get into that setting. I’m not sure why we need to turn the mod off to change settings in 2018.

The Desire Mad Mod adjusts by .1 watt increments under 75 watts and full watt increments 75 or more. That needs to be adjusted as well as it’s pointless at that high. It should be 20 or more is full watt adjustment. The mod itself is built solid with no rattle at all, and has a good weight. Feels solid but not heavy. The Battery door is a standard Bottom Latch and It’s easy to get batteries in and out without damaging wraps and takes 1 2x700 battery (21700, 20700, or 18650 with included adapter). All batteries fit really well except the avatar controls 21700 which are slightly bigger than other 21700s for some reason and with those it’s a little hard to close the door but other then those batteries all the other one’s fit in nicely and it’s easy to close the door.

The paint looks nice and doesn't scratch off, and i have no visible wear on mine even on the bottom which is SS colored on all the mods. I love the coloring on the purple one i have, It’s a matte purple and the shell is aluminum and plated. The fire button is nice and clicky and a good size. It’s a Silver textured circle. It works well and It never gets stuck or anything though which is as it should be. The 510 pin gave me no issues and every atomizer i used on it worked great with no gaps. The mod handles 25mm atomizer flush. Anything bigger will overhang. The 510 is centered as well. The screen is a good size .96 inch black and white screen that is nice and bright and easy to see. Also for branding the mod itself is pretty nice overall but large. One side has a big “MAD” that covers the whole side stamped into it but it matches the color of the mod and looks nice IMO without standing out.

Pros:
  • Build Quality of mod
  • nice simple looks
  • Battery options (20700, 21700, 18650)
  • 5 color options
  • Power mode performance
  • Accurately rated for watts
  • good amp limit
  • batteries are easy to get in and out without damaging wraps
  • good size bright screen
  • nice fire button
  • centered 510 pin that takes 25mm atomizers
  • TC performance
  • good volt limit that exceeds it’s listed spec
  • watt curve mode (PMG)
Cons:
  • old outdated menu system
  • full watt adjustment 75+ (should do full watt lower)
  • overstated amp spec (listed at 35A max was 28A)
  • have to turn off mod to adjust TCR slots
Conclusion
So with all that said, do I recommend this mod or not? I don’t like to do a hard yes or no but this leans pretty heavy towards the yes. It’s easily one of the best single 2x700 mods to come out this year right along with the armour pro and aspire puxos. Size wise it’s a little smaller then the puxos but a little bigger then the armour pro. Hard to go wrong with any of them really so nice to have another option in that category. Most of my complaints are tied to the menu system which needs to be updated but it’s not a deal breaker. I’ve added this mod to my sheet of recs linked down below.

This is Anthony Vapes just keeping it honest, hopefully you all can say the same and i’ll catch you on my next review.

Product Disclaimer
This product was sent to me from Desire Designs

Review Disclaimer
Due to possible QC difference your experience may vary.

Reviewer Disclaimer
I’ve been doing vape reviews since late 2016 and have done around 300 reviews to date. I enjoy helping vapers on forums as well and helping contribute to the great vape community. I’m not an “out of the box” reviewer. I do my best to be thorough at all times and have enough experience with many products to tell what’s good and what’s not. All mods get tested with an oscilloscope and stress tested and results are posted in my reviews.

Recommendations and Past Review Links
written reviews list here

Youtube Channel here

Spreadhseet of Recommendations here

Best of 2018 so far list here

Best of 2017 list here

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread