Anthony Vapes: Digiflavor Drop Solo RDA Review

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anthony_Vapes

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 23, 2017
Hi All, Anthony Vapes back here with my review of the Digiflavor Drop Solo rda, please see the bottom for disclaimers and links. Note: this is a retail version

Introduction:
The Drop Solo rda is the latest rda from longtime popular manufacturer Digiflavor who is a sister company of Geekvape. I don’t really think they need much of an introduction. The drop solo is a single coil version of the original Drop RDA which I loved. The Drop Solo RDA is a single coil 22mm RDA with squonk pin and 2 different top caps a metal one and a matching color PMMA one. It’s available in 3 colors SS, Black, and Gold. Looking around online I see them in the 30 USD price range and elementvape has them for 27.95 in the USA.

Manufacturer's Specs
  • Design Collaboration by Digiflavor & The Vapor Chronicles
  • A TVCreation Project
  • 22mm Diameter
  • 24mm Optional Beautiful Ring
  • 5mm Deep Juice Well
  • Superior Stainless Steel Construction
  • Optional PMMA Low Profile Cap
  • Two Post, Single Terminal Per Post Build Deck
  • Large Terminal Openings - Side Secured via Slotted Screws
  • Single Coil Configurations
  • Horizontal Stepped Airflow Control - 10 Small Air Slots
  • Airflow Channels Adjusted Vertically via Twisting Top Cap
  • Conical Top Cap Design - Flavor Enhancement
  • Squonk-Ready 510 Bottom-Feeding Pin
  • Gold-Plated 510 Connection
  • Available in Stainless Steel, Black, Gold
Included in box:
  • 1 DROP SOLO RDA
  • 1 PMMA Top Cap
  • 1 PMMA Mid Cap
  • 1 Squonk BF 510 Pin
  • 1 510 Drip Tip Adapter
  • 2 0.35ohm Prebuilt Coils
  • 1 Allen Key
  • 1 Spare Parts Bag
  • 1 Instructional Manual
Picture Album
album

Initial Impressions and features
When I first got this RDA, and some may remember this but for those that didn’t i included the pic in my album, but looking at it I would tell it was one that would need a large coil to perform well flavorwise so i threw a really large coil into it and it snapped the post. I mean it shows the screws are good and all but the post breaking like that was a big disappointment. Either way I didn’t get to vape it but digiflavor was very nice and apologetic and sent me a replacement right away and thankfully I didn’t have that issue with the replacement so guess it was just bad luck of getting a defective one to start. Either way I was able to use the replacement no issues. Back to my initial thoughts, I’m not one to pull punches and to be it looked all sorts of wrong. Like they wanted to capitalize on the popularity of the drop but forgot what actually made the drop good in the first place. It felt more like a cash grab off name recognition then a well designed RDA but as always I still have to give it a fair chance to prove my initial thoughts wrong as i’m far from always right.

Build Deck and Wicking (pics above)
Let’s talk about the build deck now. What they did was take the drop RDA and cut it in half. It’s a “postless” deck as i call them and most due but the newer style of postless decks that are actually raised posts that act like postless decks in a sense. They are both on 1 side which isn’t a good design IMO. I like the split design style much butter like the dead rabbit SQ style where it centers your coils and you don’t need to bend them. For the Drop Solo you need to “drop” in your coils (hence the name) then bend the coil over it to center it. Muhc like the design of the Goon LP that I disliked then and Still dislike after using the drop solo. It makes very little sense to me when the posts could have been sideways instead so you don’t have to bend over and would be easier to cut the excess. This deck isn’t inovative, it’s different to be different with no benefit. The screws come in from the side so won’t bend flat wire leads like fused claptons. The screws they use are good quality hex head grub screws and include tons of spares as well. 3 flat head and 3 hex spares. Overall not a fan of this build deck at all.

Wicking on it is quite easy. It’s an RDA so nothing fancy just drop your leads to the bottom.

Performance
Performance wise, I used it as a Single coil RDA only as intended. I ran 4 builds in this a fancy 3mm ID build, a fancy 3.5 mm ID build, a fancy 4mm ID build and 1 simple round 4mm ID build. I also changed the heights of each build. Personally I found the best height to be where the bottom of the coil lines up around the 2nd line of airflow holes and closing off the top row or using the PMMA cap. For size I found it best with a 4mm ID and as many wraps as you can fit comfortable with the wire you are using. Overall i found it to be mediocre flavorwise with the fancy wire and really poor with the round wire. I also found it best with the PMMA cap over the metal cap. Still even at it’s best I wasn’t impressed with the flavor on this RDA. Very lacking compared to the better single coil RDAs i’ve used recently.

Overall Impressions, Details, and Extras
Let’s talk about the airflow now. It has side airflow 10 small holes on each side shaped like a T that gets closed off one row at a time. There are 4 on the top row and 2 on each of the other 3 rows. The PMMA cap only has 6 on each side as it doesn't have the top row of 4 air holes. Outside of that it’s a basic side airflow RDA. The AFC is very easy to adjust. It has a 2 piece top cap. The top piece has lots of grip for both caps and is easy to spin and adjust even on a mod. Good amount of tension for it. Not too tight but not too loose. Very well done

It comes with 2 standard 810 friction fit clear PMMA drip tips one in each cap but you can swap them around or use your own. It also comes with a metal 510 adapter as well. The Drip tips fit nice and snug in there but not too tight. The quality on the Digiflavor Drop Solo RDA is pretty nice (save for my defective one). The o-rings all feel right and the top cap is snug but not tight. Very easy to take apart with no issues. Both top caps also lock into place like the OG Drop RDA where the deck has a raised part and the top caps have cutouts to match it. I love that feature personally. Makes it easy to get on and off mods. The post screws are good quality as well and 6 spare screws are included. No complaints about the quality. It comes with a standard 510 pin and a BF 510 pin like most RDAs these days.

The juice well is nice and large. No complaints there. Good size juice well. On top of that the over squonk protection is good. You’d have to try really hard to over squonk it. It also works well as a dripper. You can drip right down the drip tip without taking off the top cap.

It’s a 22mm diameter so should not overhang on most mods on the market today. They also include a PMMA 24mm Matching Beauty ring which is nice. There is plenty of spare o-rings and 6 spare post screws for it, an allen wrench, and a screwdriver tool and 2 coils. A piece of cotton would have been nice to include in my opinion but not a big deal. In Typical Digiflavor fashion there is a ton of accessories. They don’t label the coils however which I don’t like. Companies should always label the included coils. Branding is very simple. Nothing on the outside except for the bottom where one side says “DROP” and the other side says “Solo”. Juice a pretty basic looking RDA which i like personally.

Pros:
  • 2 Standard 810 PMMA Drip Tips and 510 adapter
  • standard 510 pin and squonk pin included
  • plenty of spare o-rings
  • simple branding
  • Color Options
  • good quality flathead and hex grub post screws included (8 total)
  • Good over squonk protection
  • nice looking simple RDA
  • AFC is easy to adjust
  • Large juice well
  • Top cap locks in place
  • works well as a dripper or squonker
  • Well built
Cons:
  • My first one had a post break when building
  • Flavor is Lacking
  • Build Deck makes no sense and is poorly design
Conclusion
So with all that said, do I recommend this RDA?I don’t like to do a hard yes or no, but this one will lean a bit towards the no. The combination of the annoying fold your coilover build deck and the lack of flavor to me makes it not worthwhile. Mind you if you like the deck and aren’t out to chase flavor you may not mind it but for me it’s just not good enough to put my name on. I won’t be adding it to my sheet of recs linked below

This is Anthony Vapes just keeping it honest, hopefully you all can say the same and i’ll catch you on my next review.

Product Disclaimer
This product was sent to me from Digiflavor

Review Disclaimer
Due to possible QC difference your experience may vary.

Reviewer Disclaimer
I’ve been doing vape reviews since late 2016 and have done around 200 reviews to date. I enjoy helping vapers on forums as well and helping contribute to the great vape community. I’m not an “out of the box” reviewer. I do my best to be thorough at all times and have enough experience with many products to tell what’s good and what’s not. All mods get tested with an oscilloscope and stress tested and results are posted in my reviews.

Recommendations and Past Review Links
written reviews list here

Youtube Channel here

Spreadhseet of Recommendations here

Best of 2018 so far list here

Best of 2017 list here

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread