Anthony Vapes: Freemax Twister Kit Tech Review

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anthony_Vapes

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 23, 2017
Hi All, Anthony Vapes back here with my review of the Freemax twister Kit, please see the bottom for disclaimers and links. Note this is not marked as a sample

Introduction:
The Freemax Twister kit is the latest Vape Stick kit from Freemax. The have been around for a while with a history of making some really good tanks but really came on strong in 2017 with the fireluke mesh and the fireluke tanks and are a big reason why mesh has made a comeback in vaping after dying out for a few years. Currently though that are easily one of the best tank makers on the market. The Freemax Twister is a DTL stick style kit to compete with a couple of other ones i’ve reviewed recently like the vaporesso cascade one plus, The Joyetech Exceed NC, The Wismec Sinuous Solo, and the Voopoo Caliber. Sadly many of these DTL stick kits fall short and the only one i’ve been able to recommend for quite some time is the cascade one plus so we’ll see how this one stacks up. It features an internal 2300mah battery and is a simple adjustable stick via a twist on the bottom like the old ego c twist batteries. It features a LED light for battery charge. The included tank is the Fireluke 2 tank which continues the confusing names as it’s not a new version of the fireluke but instead it’s a new version of the fireluke mesh and takes the same coils as that one. It’s available in 6 colors, Black, Blue, Yellow, Green, Red and White, all are graffiti design colors though. Looking around online they are mostly on pre-order however a few sites have then in stock in the 40-50 USD range. elementvape has them for 44.95 USD red and green only in stock in the USA.

Manufacturer's Specs: Battery
  • Dimensions - 101.5mm by 24mm
  • Twister Chipset
  • Integrated 2000mAh Rechargeable Battery
  • Battery Efficiency: 95%
  • Wattage Output Range: 5-80W
  • Voltage Output Range: 0.5-9.0V
  • Resistance Range: 0.1-3.0ohm
  • Zinc Alloy Chassis Construction
  • Single Button Operation
  • Oversized Intuitive Firing Button
  • Bottom Wattage Adjustment Dial
  • Ultra Fast Firing Speed: 0.01s
  • Overtime Protection
  • Overheat Protection
  • Overload Protection
  • Overcharge Protection
  • Battery Virtual High Protection
  • Short Circuit Protection
  • Micro USB Port
  • Centered 510 Connection
Manufacturer's Specs Tank:
  • 24mm Diameter
  • 3mL Juice Capacity
  • 4.5mL Bubble Juice Capacity
  • Superior Stainless Steel Chassis Construction
  • Slide-to-Open Top-Fill Design - 8.5mm by 2.8mm Fill Port
  • Fill Port Vent Hole - Prevents Positive Pressure Build-Up
  • Dual Slotted Bottom Airflow Control
  • FreeMaX Fireluke Mesh Coil Family
  • 0.15ohm X1 Mesh Coil - rated for 40-90W
  • 0.2ohm X2 Mesh Coil - rated for 40-80W
  • 0.15ohm X3 Mesh Coil - rated for 50-90W
  • Anti-Spitback Wide Bore 810 Drip Tip
  • Gold-Plated 510 Connection
Included in box:
  • 1 FreeMaX Twister 80W VW Mod
  • 1 FreeMaX Fireluke 2 Tank
  • 1 0.2ohm X2 Mesh Coil - rated for 40-80W
  • 1 0.15ohm X1 Mesh Coil - rated for 40-90W
  • 1 5mL Bubble Glass Replacement
  • 1 O-Ring Replacement
  • 1 Micro USB Charging Cable
  • 1 User Manual
  • 1 Warning Card
  • 1 Warranty Card
Coil Options (coils are kanthal unless otherwise listed)
  • compatible with Fireluke Mesh Coils
  • X1 0.15ohm Kanthal Single Mesh Coil - rated for 40-70W (OG fireluke mesh coil)
  • SS316L X1 0.12ohm Single Mesh Coil - rated for 400-500° F (OG Fireluke Mesh Coil)
  • X2 .2 ohm double mesh - rated for 40-80 watts
  • NX2 .5 ohm double mesh - rated for 20-50 watts
  • X3 .15 ohm Triple Mesh - rated for 50-90 watts
  • X4 .15 ohm Quad Mesh - rated 40-80 Watts
Picture Album
album

Twister Battery Rundown
The Twister is an adjustable simple stick mod with an internal battery, a fire button and a twist pot on the bottom to adjust wattage (like the old ego c twist battery) and adjust form 5-80 watts. There is one LED around the fire button. It tells you the battery level by the color. Green means 65-400%, Yellow means 30-65% and red means 30% or less. You can fire to check the battery charge as it’s only active when firing. While charging the light red and then turns off when full. Overall good job on the design and functionality of this battery, but i wish the LED was a little brighter as it is a bit dim

The stick itself is pretty nice but i have to say the designs are ugly to me. Not a fan of the graffiti designs at all. The only decent looking one is the black and i really wish they would have had at least 1 or 2 without the graffiti designs that were a plain color. It can handle a 24mm atomizer flush which is the size of the included Fireluke 2 tank and makes it have an AIO type look to it. It feels well built and is also really light. The USB port is on the back and they don’t list a charge rate.

The only testing I did on this battery is the charge rate and battery capacity. I know i tested some in the past but based on the type of kit it is and what it’s used for I don’t feel it’s 100% necessary. I tested this using an inline USB meters and ran it 3 times overall. The charge rate max is .79A so they could have rated it as 1A but it does slow down a bit during charging at times. It’s more like .5-.8A charge rate and it takes a long time to charge at 4 hours. I wish they would have had a faster charge rate to cut that down in half. 4 hours is a long charge time especially with how quick the battery drains due to the wattage demands of the coils. The battery i tested between 2671 mah and 2719 mah so there 2300mah rating is really good and sounds like the minimum rating. Even if the charge is 90% efficient that puts the battery around 2400mah so really good rating there. It also features passthrough vaping as well.

Fireluke 2 Tank performance
Quick rundown on the tank, it’s a 24mm diameter, uses a standard 810 replaceable drip tip which is a matching delrin one. The pre-installed one though is pretty fragile and was pretty stuck in there. When I went to remove it to test other tips it broke apart in my hands trying to get it out which i have a pic of, so i wound up using a different drip tip mostly for this review., which I took of the wotofo elder dragon as it matched and was in front of me. Both friction fit and o-ring 810 tips fit well in this tank so you can use your own most likely if you break yours. Also I noticed juice tends to pool between the drip tip and the tank. That could be due to the different drip though i’m using and not an issue with the included one. I can’t say for sure so it was worth a mention.

There is only 1 glass size and it comes with a spare and both are bubble glasses and hold 5ml of juice. The tank itself also has the matching graffiti designs. The Fireluke 2 uses a slide back fill method where you slide the top back which is clearly marked with a red dot and fill through the good size fill hole. Some people have issues with these type sliding open in their pocket but personally i haven’t had any issues on any of them. The airflow is made for DTL vaping. Air comes in one both sides and are long oval holes. The AFC is smooth and easy to adjust and on a stopper however some knurling for grip would have been nice. The coil system is a simple screw into the base first so you need an empty tank to change them out.

The Fireluke 2 uses the same coils as the Fireluke Mesh (which had 2 options originally) and 4 new options. They are all listed above so i’ll focus on the 2 coils it comes with. The 2 included coils are the 0.2ohm X2 Mesh Coil - rated for 40-80W and the 0.15ohm X1 Mesh Coil - rated for 40-90W. I started with the X2 coil and the flavor was excellent for a sub ohm tank. Like most of their coils they are really good for flavor and life. I found it best at 60-70 watts on the twister battery. I ran 100mls through the coil and it was still good as you can see in the pics above so great job there for coil life. Then onto the X1 .15 ohm single mesh coil. This is the same coil that came with the original fireluke mesh i reviewed and not one of the new ones. In my review for that one i found it best around 65-70 watts, for this one though I found it best at 70-75 on the twister so it’s possible the twister does hit a little low wattage wise. None the less flavor was again great and i also ran 100ml through it and it’s still good. Overall excellent coil performance and life and one of the best out there for sub 70 watt vaping easily.

Pros:
  • Build Quality of mod and tank
  • Size and Weight for portability
  • Accurate Battery Rating
  • AFC is easy to adjust and smooth
  • Battery Indicator is good enough
  • Passthrough vaping
  • Coil flavor is excellent
  • coil life is excellent
  • good 5ml capacity
  • 6 coil options
  • color options (6)
  • standard 810 tip size
  • price point (under 50 bucks)
  • Slide-back fill is easy to use
  • good adjustability on a kit like this for power
Cons:
  • takes too long to charge (4 hours)
  • Battery life isn’t great due to wattage demands of coils
  • LED is a bit dim
  • Ugly Graffiti Designs only
  • Drip tip is too fragile
Conclusion
So with all that said, do I recommend this kit or not? To do that I had to figure what i wanted to compare it to and for me it’s more along the lines of a voopoo caliber, vaporesso cascade one plus, wismec sinuous solo, joyetech exceed NC and things like that. I felt it’s more of a better grouping then to compare it with a nunchaku kit or ultex kit. So with that said I have to lean towards the yes. It’s far from perfect but it does outperform all those options, has more adjustability, and gives me a rec to go along with the cascade one plus which was really the only type of kit like this i’ve been able to recommend for almost a year with many of them not being good at all. If you can get past the ugly design and long charge time it’s the best performing kit flavorwise and coil life wise which is why i have to lean towards the yes on this one. I added this to my sheet or recommendations linked down below as a kit and the tank itself in the DTL tanks 40-70 watts section.

This is Anthony Vapes just keeping it honest, hopefully you all can say the same and i’ll catch you on my next review.

Product Disclaimer
This product was sent to me from Freemax

Review Disclaimer
Due to possible QC difference your experience may vary.

Reviewer Disclaimer
I’ve been doing vape reviews since late 2016 and have done over 300 reviews to date. I enjoy helping vapers on forums as well and helping contribute to the great vape community. I’m not an “out of the box” reviewer. I do my best to be thorough at all times and have enough experience with many products to tell what’s good and what’s not. All mods get tested with an oscilloscope and stress tested and results are posted in my reviews.

Recommendations and Past Review Links
written reviews list here

Spreadsheet of Recommendations here

Best of 2018 list here

Best of 2017 list here

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread