Anthony Vapes: Hellvape Dead Rabbit RTA Review

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anthony_Vapes

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 23, 2017
Hi All, Anthony Vapes back here with my review of Hellvape Dead Rabbit rta. Please see bottom for disclaimers and links. Note this is not marked as a sample version.

Introduction:
The Hellvape Dead Rabbit RTA is the latest, First, and only RTA from somewhat popular vape manufacturer Hellvape. Hellvape has actually been around for quite a while and has made over a dozen RDAs but didn’t get much attention until their popular dead rabbit rda and since then have gained a lot of popularity, but i remember reviewing a much older atomizer form the the Iron maiden RDTA which was and still is one of my favorite RDTAs. Outside of that though I only reviewed their dead rabbit rda and Drop Dead RDA until now but also working on a rebirth review. The Dead Rabbit RTA like the RDA is designed in collaboration with popular youtube reviewer Heathen and is a 25mm diameter dual coil RTA with a top airflow angled down. It’s available in 8 colors Full Matte Black, Black with White Logo, SS, Gunmetal, Rainbow, Gold, Purple, and Blue. Elementvape has them in the US for 26.95 all colors in stock.

Manufacturer's Specs
  • Collaboration with Vapin' Heathen
  • 25mm Diameter
  • 2.0mL Standard Juice Capacity
  • Increased 4.5mL Bubble Glass Juice Capacity
  • Superior Stainless Steel Construction
  • Pyrex Glass Reinforcement
  • Raised Four-Post Build Deck Design
  • Spaced Under Post for Coil Lead and Wire Cutters - No Measurement Needed
  • Gold-Plated Positive Posts
  • Side Secured via Flathead Screws
  • Single or Dual Coil Configuration
  • Dual Top Side Airflow Redirects Into Inner Coil Chamber
  • Knurled and Threaded Top Fill System
  • 810 Resin Wide Bore Drip Tip
  • 510 Drip Tip Adapter
  • 510 Connection
Included in box:
  • 1 Dead Rabbit RTA
  • 1 810 Resin Drip Tip
  • 1 510 SS Drip Tip Adapter
  • 1 Spare Glass
  • 1 Spare Parts Bag
  • 1 Instructional Manual
Pictures Album:
album

Initial Impressions
When I first got this RTA I knew what to expect. It’s been out for a while now so i’ve seen it a lot and the deck is the same as the dead rabbit RDA i reviewed. It’s just in a RTA from with a top airflow. The top isn’t channeled anywhere though it’s just angle cut so it’s kind of like the original engine RTA compared to like a rimfire or intake where the air gets channeled around so i wasn’t expecting much from it. Other then that though i did like the design and i got the blue one and it looks a lot like my blue intake RTA from the outside and i really liked the baby blue drip tip as well.

Build Deck and Wicking (pics above)
Let’s talk about the build deck now. It’s the same deck as the RDA version so acts like a postless deck of sorts in terms of actual usage but a little raised up so you can cut your excess leads out of the bottom. I think most people have seen a postless deck by this point. What it does not have though is any tools to help with this like many others do. Lots of companies are including some sort of coil guide these days to make pre-cutting your coils easy but the dead rabbit RTA doesn't have one. Personally I found it best with 5mm Leads so that would be the way to go so you can precut your leads as trying to cut them after the point can be a little difficult due to the amount of room to fit some wire cutters in. There are 4 post holes so each lead gets its own hole as it should be and coils can be installed 1 at a time. The screws are good quality flat head grub head screws but i prefer hex personally and thankfully the included spare set are hex so happy with that because you get both options. The post screws come in from the side so flat wire leads won’t be twisted when installing and it works great for flat and round wire coils with no issues. Overall a nice easy to build on deck but a coil lead cutting tool would have been nice

Wicking on this one is super easy. It does not have a JFC (juice flow control). The wick holes are quite large and it wicks quite well so no need to really thin them or overstuff them. Just a normal amount works well with no issues.

Performance
Performance wise, I used it as a dual coil RTA as intended. You can build a single coil on this if you wanted to for some reason anyway but often running a dual coil RTA in single coil isn’t very good so i didn’t. I ran 4 builds in this 1 4mm ID simple round build and 3 fancy coil builds between 3mm ID and 4mm ID. Sadly no matter what build you run the flavor just isn’t there. It’s a very muted RTA about as bad as the original engine and worse then even many single coil top air RTAs on the market. The intake outperforms it with a single coil and the rimfire was much much better but had its own flaws. Overall just a really poor performer flavorwise

Overall Impressions, Details, and Extras
It’s a top airflow RTA that isn’t channeled anywhere, with 2 large air holes equally spaced apart that you can adjust from the outside. The AFC is nice and smooth and on a stopper. It’s easily adjustable on or off mod and has some design for grip. Very well done. The air a little loud and turbulent as well not very smooth at all but not bad. It doesn't really get any louder when turned down and no whistle so well done there. The top fill is your standard screw off the top fill which is my favorite kind and there are 2 good size fill holes to use any bottle type. They also have some nice knurling on the top cap for grip making it really easy to screw on and off for filling.

There is a good amount of accessories that come with it, mine came with a standard 810 resin friction fit drip tip (colors varies depending on color choice, i have the blue one and the tip is a baby blue color) and a black resin drip tip and a metal 510 tip adapter. The drip tip fits nice. Not too snug but not too loose and you should be able to use any of your own tips 810 and 510. Mine came with 2 tanks as well, one bubble tank with a 4.5ml capacity and 1 regular tank with a 2ml capacity. The RTA itself is 25mm at the base. The 2ml capacity is really low for a dual coil RTA but the 4.5ml bubble capacity is only a little small but acceptable. The Hellvape Dead Rabbit RTA also includes plenty of extra o-rings, 4 spare post screws (all hex head grub), 1 screwdriver, 1 allen wrench, no cotton or coils which isn’t a big deal but would have been nice.

The quality on the Dead Rabbit RTA is overall good. The AFC is really nice and the threading for the top fill is good as is the knurling on the top cap. The post screw quality is good as well. Overall it’s pretty easy to take apart. My only complaint which is minor, is that the base itself has a notch system to line up the chamber and without it being put together you can’t unscrew the base from your build meter. You need to have the tank assembled to do that. Normally after building an atomizer i unscrew it from my build meter and then assemble it. With this RTA i had to assemble it on the meter first in order to unscrew it. Not a big deal but worth the mention.

The coloring on the Blue i received is nice and shiny. It’s a 25mm diameter RTA that only bulges out with the 4.5ml bubble glass so it shouldn’t overhang most mods. The 4.5 ml capacity is a little low for a dual coil RTA. There is no JFC but it doesn't need one. I had no issues with chain vaping and found it easy to wick. Branding is nice and simple. Just a dead rabbit logo and the words “dead rabbit” on the chamber visible through the glass like most RTAs

Pros:
  • Bubble tank included
  • plenty of spare o-rings and 4 spare post screws
  • nice smooth AFC
  • Simple screw off top fill design
  • easy to wick/build
  • good build quality
  • color options (8 total)
  • air isn’t loud and mostly smooth
  • 2 810 tips and a 510 adapter included
Cons:
  • no coils or cotton
  • no coil lead cutting tool
  • 4.5ml capacity with bubble tank is just decent. 2ml capacity without it is very small
  • flavor is very muted
  • can’t unscrew the base off a build meter without assembling the RTA
Conclusion
So with all that said, do I recommend this RTA?I don’t like to do a hard yes or no, this one i’m going to lean towards the no. The only reason for that is the lack of flavor from it. All the other cons are pretty minor and don’t annoy me much. It’s actually a really nice RTA overall it just lacks performance. If you aren’t a flavor chaser and just like the fact it’s near impossible to get it to leak, you’d probably like it, but if you are like me who has gotten to use so many RTAs that are much better in terms of flavor, you’ll just be disappointed with the vape. I won’t be adding this to my sheet of recs linked down below.

This is Anthony Vapes just keeping it honest, hopefully you all can say the same and i’ll catch you on my next review.

Product Disclaimer
This product was sent to me from Elementvape

Review Disclaimer
Due to possible QC difference your experience may vary.

Reviewer Disclaimer
I’ve been doing vape reviews since late 2016 and have done around 300 reviews to date. I enjoy helping vapers on forums as well and helping contribute to the great vape community. I’m not an “out of the box” reviewer. I do my best to be thorough at all times and have enough experience with many products to tell what’s good and what’s not. All mods get tested with an oscilloscope and stress tested and results are posted in my reviews.

Recommendations and Past Review Links
written reviews list here

Spreadsheet of Recommendations here

Best of 2018 list here

Best of 2017 list here

Reactions: Drewbacca96
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread