Anthony Vapes: Hugsvapor Lotus RTA Review

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anthony_Vapes

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 23, 2017
Hi All, Anthony Vapes back here with my review of Hugsvapor Lotus rta Mini and Hugsvapor Coil Trimming Tool. Please see bottom for disclaimers and links

Introduction:
The Hugsvapor Lotus RTA is the first RTA from new vape company Hugsvapor. I looked around to find some info on them but it was pretty scarce. They do have a site up though and list only 3 products. This lotus RTA, the Theseus rda (reviewing incoming for that this month as well), and one other one not made for normal ejuice. The Lotus RTA is a small dual coil bottom airflow RTA with a standard 2ml capacity for TPD and included 5ml bubble glass. It’s available in 5 colors, Silver, Black, Gunmetal, Gold, and Rainbow. I looked around online for pricing and being a new small company it’s only available on a couple of china sites all around 33-35 USD

Manufacturer's Specs
  • Diameter: 24mm;
  • Height: 51.85mm;
  • Capacity: 2ml / 5ml (bubble glass);
  • Lotus shape build deck;
  • Dual coil configuration;
  • Air conditioner slot style airflow system;
  • Surrounding airflow;
  • Push-to-refill method;
  • Gold plated contact pin;
  • 810 Delrin drip tip and 510 drip tip adapter included
Included in box:
  • 1 x Lotus RTA
  • 1 x 5ml Bubble Glass
  • 1 x 510 Drip Tip Adapter
  • 1 x Spare Bag
Pictures Album:
album

Initial Impressions and features
When I first got this RTA I was pretty impressed. You never know what to expect from a new company. My first one was actually a beta that had some issues but were fixed in the final version. Regardless though issues aside from the beta it is a well designed RTA right up my alley. Nice postles deck, good bottom airflow, good capacity (5ml with bubble glass) dual coil DTL checked off lots of my boxes. The beta had issues with the glass staying in place but they updated the o-ring design to fix it. Overall I was pretty impressed from the start with this RTA. They also included for me (not in the package but separate) a tool for cutting coil leads which i’ll go over more in the review which was great.

Build Deck and Wicking (pics above)
Let’s talk about the build deck now. It’s a dual coil postless deck with a ramp style airflow around it. The deck itself is quite easy to build on and i love postless decks but may not be beginner friendly since you do have to pre-cut your leads. The post holes are nice and large and work well with fancy wires and simple round wires. The post screws are a good quality flat head grub screw. I prefer hex personally but no issues with the included flat head ones. They are great. Coil lead length is ideally 4-6mm. 4mm with fancier wires and 6mm with round wire or smaller ID builds. You want to build it where you pull the coils out to sit in the airflow ramps (see pics in album) max recommended coil size is 3mm. You can squeeze a 3.5mm in there but go with the 3 for more wiggle room. 4mm can short out on the top of the chamber which is really low so stick to 3mm ID and you’ll be good. Overall a nice easy postless deck with good screws that i loved

Wicking on this one is not hard but not super easy either. It’s a GTA style tank that wicks very well. It uses the “open holes” type deck to drop your cotton ends all the way to the bottom. You just need to make sure that your cotton doesn't interfere with the threading on the deck. Wet the cotton with juice and tuck them into the holes and you’ll be good to go. You don’t need to thin them out much. Just enough to leave a little room for air. I got the wicking on this right every time so i consider it easy but for some may be a little trial and error

Performance
Performance wise, I used it as a dual coil RTA only. I ran 5 builds in this. 4 fancy builds at 2.5, 3, 3.5, and 4mm ID and one simple round build at 3mm ID. the 4mm ID was too big and not usable as it shorted on the top cap so never got to actually vape it. The rest of the fancy builds were flat out excellent but the 3.5 is a tight squeeze so it works best with a 3mm ID coil. The 3mm ID fancy build was flat out excellent. It’s been a long time probably close to a year since i had a really killer flavor dual coil RTA to review sadly which is my personal preference. I was very impressed with the flavor on this RTA. even with the simple round build the flavor was great. Easily the best RTA i’ve had this year flavorwise and just as good as if not better then the top ones from last year like the kylin, reload, supreme v2, etc. but it doesn't need a massive build either. It’s great from like 50-80 watts so a nice middle range. Overall one of the best RTAs i’ve had for flavor in a long time and easily will make my top 5 list in 2018 when it’s all said and done.

Overall Impressions, Details, and Extras
It’s a bottom airflow RTA with 2 holes one on each side that you can adjust from the outside like many RTAs. The AFC is nice and smooth and on a stopper. Thanks to the knurling for grip it’s very easy to adjust on or off a mod. The Juice fill is a pop off top like the blitz intrepid RTA. It’s clearly labeled and works well. I had no issues with it popping open like the blitz did too easily but i can see it being an issue for some so it’s really up to the user but it does fit on snug and shouldn’t pop open under normal use. It wasn't for me personally but some vapers don’t like the style. I would have preferred a standard unscrew the top but that’s just preference. It has 2 good size fill holes to use any bottle on without any issues but you can’t just pour from a glass bottle.

All the threading is really nice on this RTA and it’s easy to take apart and put together. Really nice quality. It comes apart in 3 parts. You have the base which just unscrews from the bottom the top cap with chamber/chimney attached, and the glass. I guess you can call it 4 parts if you include the drip tip but it’s really easy to take apart and clean.

There is also a good amount of accessories that come with it, It comes with a standard 810 delrin black drip tip and a 510 adapter. The tip is pretty comfy but due to the shape is a little hard to get out. It works with any 810 drip tips though and it’s snug in there but not too tight. It’s only the shape that makes it hard to get out. It’s pretty resilient too. I use my teeth to pull it out but it hasn’t left a tooth mark yet. It comes with a standard 2ml tank and a 5 ml bubble glass tank. I love the extra capacity of the 5ml bubble glass. Spare set of o-rings and 4 spare post screws (all flat head) as well and a screwdriver. Would have been nice if they threw in a coil or 2 and some cotton but not a big deal.

The quality on the Hugsvapor Lotus RTA is excellent. All the threading is really nice and smooth. It’s a 24mm diameter RTA with nothing that bulges out if you don’t use the bubble glass. It’s also one of the shorter RTAs as well. The 2ml capacity is small for a dual coil RTA but the 5ml with the bubble glass is a good size. There is no JFC and it doesn't need one as it’s a GTA styled RTA. I had no leaking or flooding issues and it handled chain vaping pretty good as well. Branding is nice and simple. Nothing on the outside and just the lotus logo on the chamber inside the glass on one side. It’s a classy and simple looking RTA.

One more quick couple of things. I originally got a beta one. It had an issue with the o-rings where the glass wouldn’t stay in place correctly or lock in and caused leaking issues. They fixed that pretty quickly in the design and within 2 weeks i had an updated version that i did this review with that works great. So very good response on fixing a major issue before it hit retail. 2nd thing the color on mine is off. I’m hoping it’s an early sample mistake but i’m still gonna ding them for it as my base is gunmetal but the top is black. I believe they put the wrong base on my sample.

Coil Tool
It’s not part of the package with the RTA but they are sold seperate dirt cheap (around 2-3 USD) and it’s an excellent tool so i wanted to touch on it a bit. I’ve been using this tool for like a month or so now to measure coil leads so i can provide that info in my review for postless deck atomizers. It’s very simple and easy to use just slide the coil leads into the hole labeled for the correct size you want to use then snip the ends. It also works great for non posteless decks as well. The cutouts measure your deck size so you can cut the leads to the proper length needed so you won’t have to cut them later after installing the coil. Great tool and well worth the price for any builder and belongs in any builders tool bag

Pros:
  • Build Quality
  • Standard 810 tip and 510 adapter
  • good quality post screws
  • price point (under 35 bucks)
  • good size fill holes
  • great threading
  • nice easy to build and wick deck
  • 5ml bubble glass included
  • plenty of spare accessories
  • excellent flavor
  • nice smooth AFC that’s easy to adjust on mod
  • no whistle or loud air on any setting
  • really short and small
  • color options
Cons:
  • Drip tip can be hard to remove due to shape not fit
  • my black one has a gunmetal base
  • building can be tricky for new builders due to postless deck
Conclusion
So with all that said, do I recommend this RTA?I don’t like to do a hard yes or no, this one is going to lean heavy towards the yes. It’s been a while since i’ve had a killer flavor dual coil RTA to review and this is the best one this year i’ve done. I can’t see anyway it doesn't make my top 5 list for 2018. If you want an excellent flavor dual coil RTA this is the latest one to grab for sure. I really loved working on this review and really don’t want to put it away. I’ll be adding it to my sheet.

This is Anthony Vapes just keeping it honest, hopefully you all can say the same and i’ll catch you on my next review.

Product Disclaimer
This product was sent to me from hugsvapor

Review Disclaimer
Due to possible QC difference your experience may vary.

Reviewer Disclaimer
I’ve been doing vape reviews since late 2016 and have done around 200 reviews to date. I enjoy helping vapers on forums as well and helping contribute to the great vape community. I’m not an “out of the box” reviewer. I do my best to be thorough at all times and have enough experience with many products to tell what’s good and what’s not. All mods get tested with an oscilloscope and stress tested and results are posted in my reviews.

Recommendations and Past Review Links
written reviews list here

Youtube Channel here

Spreadhseet of Recommendations here

Best of 2018 so far list here

Best of 2017 list here

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread