Anthony Vapes: Ijoy Captain PD1865 Kit with RDTA5s Tech Review

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anthony_Vapes

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 23, 2017
Hi All, Anthony Vapes back here Today with my review of the Ijoy Captain PD1865 Kit Disclaimer: This product was sent from elementvape.com for this review.

Introduction:
The Ijoy Captain PD1865 kit is the smaller version of the original captain PD270. While the PD270 used 20700 batteries the PD1865 uses 18650 batteries. The smaller PD1865 can take a 26mm atomizer without overhang not a 30mm like the larger PD270. It’s available in 3 colors. Gunmetal, black and rainbow. The atomizer options are a wondervape RDA, captain S sub ohm tank or the one i received the RDTA5s. The mod has power and temp modes as well as customizable preheat settings (1st 3 seconds in .5second increments) so almost a watt curve mode. The RDTA is a velocity style deck with bottom and side airflow options.

Manufacturer's Specs: Mod
  • Dual High-Amp 18650 Battery - Not Included
  • Maximum Wattage Output: 220W
  • Minimum Atomizer Resistance: 0.06ohm
  • Temperature Control Range: 200-600F
  • Ni200 Nickel , Titanium, and Stainless Steel Compatibility
  • Vertical Display Layout
  • Intuitive OLED Display
  • Oversized Square Firing Mechanism
  • Adjustment Buttons Below Screen
  • Hinged Battery Door Cover
  • Short Circuit Protection
  • Overcurrent Protection
  • Overvoltage Protection
  • Overcharge Protection
  • PTC Protective Circuits
  • MicroUSB Port
  • Spring-Loaded Stainless Steel 510 Connection
Manufacturer's Specs: RDTA
  • 24mm Diameter
  • 2.6mL Juice Capacity
  • Superior Stainless Steel Construction
  • Pyrex Glass Reinforcement
  • Two-Post, Dual Terminal Deck
  • 2.5mm Diameter Terminal Posts
  • Top and Side Secured via Hardened Screws
  • Deckmilled Negative Post
  • PEEK-Insulated Positive Post
  • Convenient Central Refill Port
  • Dynamic Dual Airflow System
  • Bottom Airflow Control - Dual Wide Airslots
  • Side Airflow Control - Five Airslots on Each Side
  • ULTEM Widebore Drip Tip
  • Adjustable Gold-Plated 510 Connection
Included in box:
  • 1 Captain PD1865 Mod
  • 1 RDTA5s
  • 1 Replacement Glass Tube
  • 1 MicroUSB Cable
  • Spare Parts
  • Instructional Manual
Pictures and test results
Test Chart:
JbUW8W2.png

Spreadsheet:
8H8IrEZ.png

Stock Shot Colors:
ijoy_captain_pd1865_225w_tc_starter_kit_gunmetal_rainbow__2.jpg

Kit Front:
XF0Z3Pu.jpg

Kit Back:
CbeiWJD.jpg

Box:
gIJ8zi0.jpg

Box Content:
LpMCcFW.jpg

RDTA built :
wPVvel2.jpg

RDTA Wicking:
Lc949FE.jpg

RDTA Wicking 2:
wVBuVoC.jpg

Mod and RDTA:
SrNJFaH.jpg

510 internal:
rAoEEX1.jpg

Initial Impressions and features
When I first got this Kit, I pretty much knew what to expect. Having reviewed the PD270 version, i figured it would be the same but a bit smaller and it is. The RDTA5s is new to me as i never used the RDTA5 personally. The mod is a box shame with rounded edges and stickers on the side. The stickers have a nice rubberized feel to them. It features a front facing large screen that’s bright with plenty of info and a large side fire button. The rainbow coloring is beautiful on both the mod and atomizer. The bottom battery door has less play than the PD270 version and is easy to open and close with no gap. The RDTA has a velocity style 2 post 2 holes per post deck and bottom and side airflow. Overall it’s a nice looking and nice feeling mod

Watt Mode Performance
Let’s get into some data. Resistances for this mod’s testing were done at .1, .14, .19 and .5 for the high resistance test. The mod read resistance accurate sometimes .01 low. It reads live resistance and doesn't lock it in.. The wattage testing points were max watts (225), 200, 150, 100, 75, 50, and 25. At .1 ohms the mod maxed out at 224 watts and 47 amps. Very impressed with the Amp limit of this mod and the ability to do 224 at such a low resistance. It’s on the high side for dual battery mods. During the tests at 200 it was 5 high but below 200 it was never off by more than 1. At the .14 test it maxed out at 230 watts. Outside of the max, it was off by 3-6 over 100 and 100 or less never off by more than 2. For the .19 test it maxed out at 189 watts. It was high 7 watts at the 150 test but 100 or less never off by more than 3 watts. For the high resistance test of .5 it maxed out at 91 watts and 6.732 volts. Once i was under the volt limit, it was never off by more than 3 watts. My max wattage overall was 230 so it meets and exceeds the 225 watts promised. The max amps (47) i got from my testing was on the high side for dual battery mods. The 6.732 volts is a little below average for a dual battery mod and nothing impressive. Usually they are around 7. The mod never got hot in my testing but did get a little warm. Mostly on the top plate of the mod. At 200+ the power does fluctuate a bit. At 150 or less it’s consistent but a little shaky on the signal but nothing you’d notice in a vape and i’m pretty sensitive that noticing that kind of stuff personally. And i didn’t feel any issues. Overall it’s a solid performer that meets and exceeds specs given and a really good performer at 150 or less watts.

Temperature Control
Using SS316 wire in SS mode and TCR mode with 00092. I tested 7 builds ranging from single round spaced single and dual coils, to fancy single coils and Fancy dual coils. The mod is wildly inconsistent at some times not firing and others burning cotton. I was able to get some decent puffs but it was pretty short lived. I honestly can’t even say if it's pulsy or smooth because it lacks a consistent cut off for me to get an idea on it. Overall it’s going to be a hard fail in temp control due to lack of consistency

Other Usage Notes
The 510 pin on the mod is really good (pic above) it’s secured from the inside and properly grounded. I also had no issues using any atomizer on it. There is plenty of give and the spring is strong. It seems ijoy learned their lesson from the original PD270. I remember when I did the PD270 review that was one thing i mentioned to them as did another big reviewer. They contacted me after that review asking if they could do anything to improve it. I know they made some changes on the PD270 after that but the mod still had more issues then that. This one however is a much better performer. It can't handle a 30mm like the PD270 but it can take a 26mm without overhang. There is no button rattle on the mod either it feels pretty solid.

Anthony_Vapes

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 23, 2017
RDTA5s
Ok so let’s go over the included RDTA in this kit. It features a velocity style 2 post, 2 holes per post deck. The top holes have the screws coming top down while the bottom holes have the screws coming side in. It uses low quality phillips screws and I question their durability. I would have preferred to see higher quality flat head or hex screws personally. It uses a standard 810 tip and comes with an ultem press fit one. It has bottom and side airflow that are adjustable independently.

It features a unique center fill as they call it, but to me it was a pain to deal with. It worked best with a syringe or glass dripper. Most bottles don’t have a long enough tip to fit into the hole as the posts block the bottles. And the screw style caps are impossible to fill with. I would have preferred a better fill port. For me it’s a huge con. The RDTA itself is a good quality. All the o-rings fit well and air is easy to adjust. It only has a 2.6ml capacity which is insanely small for such a big RDTA. the metal outside dovers the glass so it won’t break when dropped but costs it capacity. I would have preferred to see 4ml minimum.

Performance Wise, I found this to be above average in the flavor department. The bottom and side air are both smooth with no whistle. It’s a DTL atomizer for sure, but using the bottom only you won’t need a huge build to get great flavor. If you want to use both side and bottom you’ll need a large build. It’s pretty versatile. The domed shape cap also helps to improve flavor a little. I’m pretty impressed with the performance but it does have quite a bit of cons that go along with it.

Pros: Mod
  • Build Quality
  • Watt Mode Performance
  • Good quality 510 pin
  • Looks and style
  • Large bright screen with plenty of info
  • easy menu system
  • color options
Pros: RDTA
  • Above Average Flavor
  • Build quality
  • 810 ultem tip
  • Color Options
  • bottom and side air
  • metal protects glass from breaking
  • good for medium or large builds
Cons: Mod
  • Temp control performance
Cons: RDTA
  • Fill hole is small and annoying
  • really small capacity
  • poor quality post screws
Conclusion
So with all that said, do I recommend this kit or not? I don’t like to do hard yes or no. As a temp control mod i’m gonna lean heavily towards the no. It just doesn't work in TC mode. As a power mode mod i’m gonna lean towards the yes. It meets it’s specs and performs great. No complaints from me on that side. For the RDTA i’m gonna be 50/50 it’s probably worth the extra few bucks to get in the kit version if you can deal with the cons i listed, but it has too many cons for me to go out and purchase seperate personally. I’ll be adding the mod to my sheet as a power mode mod.

This is Anthony Vapes just keeping it honest, hopefully you all can say the same and i’ll catch you on my next review.

For good recommendations feel free to check out my google sheet of recommendations located here this sheet will be updated regularly so feel free to bookmark it.

Again I want to thank elementvape for sending me these for the purpose of this review.

The Captain PD1865 Kit is available here https://www.elementvape.com/ijoy-captain-pd1865-225w-tc-starter-kit for 69.95

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread