Anthony Vapes: Innokin Big Box Atlus Mod Tech Review

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anthony_Vapes

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 23, 2017
Hi All, Anthony Vapes back here with my review of the innokin Big Box Atlus mod. Please see bottom for disclaimers and links. Note: This is a retail version and not marked as a sample

Introduction:
The Innokin Big Box Atlus Mod is an older mod from IMO underrated manufacturer Innokin. It came out early this year in like january but i didn't get a review sample until way later. Innokin has been doing well in the mod space though. Mostly known for their great internal battery mods for years and recently the kroma-a mod, and their MTL stuff like the zenith tank and Endura kits, they are making more external battery mods like their Proton mod which is their latest one that i loved. The Big Box Atlus is a dual 18650 mod rated at 200 watts and is a full resin body mod. Looking around I seen it at around 65ish USD but can’t find it in stock anywhere. It’s available in 3 colors Blue, Purple, and Red.

Manufacturer's Specs:
  • Dual High-Amp 18650 Batteries - Not Included
  • Wattage Output Range: 6-200W
  • Minimum Atomizer Resistance: 0.1ohm
  • Temperature Control Range: 300-600F
  • Supports Ni200, Titanium, and Stainless Steel Heating Elements
  • Precision Temperature Control
  • Luxurious Full Resin Body Design
  • Intuitive OLED Display Screen
  • Oversized Firing Button
  • Two-Button Adjustments
  • Magnetized Battery Door Cover
  • 24K Gold-Plated Spring-Loaded 510 Connection
Included in box:
  • 1 BigBox Atlas 200W Mod
  • 1 810 Resin Wide Bore Drip Tip
  • 1 Micro USB Cable
  • Instructional Manual
Picture Album
album

Initial Impressions and features
When I first got this Mod, I was pretty impressed with the design and resin. Many “resin” mods just have resin panels but the atlus is a 100% resin enclosure and the matching resin 810 tip included is a great touch as well. For some reason i didn’t get this mod when it first came out despite getting many before and after it for review and a buddy of mine raved about it so i asked innokin about it and they said they would send one and forget a few times but eventually came through hence the late review but it was worth the wait. I haven’t seen a better looking resin mod out still to this date. Outside of that though it’s a pretty basic 200 watt mod

Watt Mode Performance (chart and spreadsheet in picture album)
Now let’s get into some data. I ran my normal testing. I used Sony VTC5A batteries for the testing. Testing resistances were done at .13, .16, .21, and .63 ohms. wattage points were max (200), 150, 100, 75, 50 and 25. At .13 ohms it maxed out at 188 watts and 38 amps. For the rest of the testing it was on the low side 1-7 watts. Pretty typical struggle at that resistance and on par with most. At .16 it maxed out at 194 watts. The rest were pretty good 4-5 watts low over 50 but right on point 50 or less. For the .21 test it maxed out at 196 watts. Again really good but a little on the low side 2-3 watts except at 50 it was 1 high and at 25 it was on point. For the .63 testing it maxed out at 136 watts and 9.257 volts. For the rest of the testing it hit high 6-10 watts at 75 or more but 2-5 watts below that which is common. The volts shows there is a boost circuit in this mod which is nice as many dual battery mods don’t have boost circuits.

Overall I felt the performance of this mod was really good. It struggled a little with the .13 ohm build which is common for most mods at that resistance to struggle a bit. It mostly hits slightly low at .21 or less but slightly high at higher resistances which is common. Overall though pretty accurate mod on par with many of the best ones. I was able to get 196 watts max, so I consider it to be accurately rated at 200 watts. The 9.257 volt limit shows there is a boost circuit. Their manual does not list the max Volts but since it has a boost it’s one of the highest limits i’ve seen for a dual battery mod. They don’t list an amp limit on this mod and the most i got was 38 with a .13 ohm coil which is around average for a dual battery mod (average is around 40 these days) . Personally If i was listing the specs I’d call the mod 200 watts, 9V and 40A. So overall good ratings from what they actually listed which was only watts. The mod also fires very fast and the one preheat works correctly (hard only).

Simplified TLDR Power Performance summary
Mod performance is good. Mostly hits just a few watts off on the low side at .21 ohms or more and a little high over that. Accurately rated for watts (196), Yes boost circuit, average amp limit of 38. Volts tested at 9.257 so one of the highest volt limits for a dual mod i’ve tested.

Temperature Control Performance
Using SS316 wire in SS mode, I tested 8 builds. 2 simple round single coil, 2 simple round dual Coil, 2 large fancy single coils builds, and 2 large fancy dual coil builds. SS mode is for SS316 and there is no TCR mode or TCR adjustments. With that said, the mod never gets up to temp even at 600F it’s a weak vape that never gets warm. Disappointing from an Innokin mod which are usually very good at TC but it did come out before the proton so they fixed that issue with the proton at least, but this mod is not usable for TC mode. Easy fail there

Other Usage Notes
The mod uses a standard 3 click to turn off or on. Outside of that there isn’t much to this mod. There is no true menu, however when attaching a coil it lets you select if it’s the same coil (same mode and resistance) or if it’s a new coil you can select your mode (watts, Ni, Ti, or SS) in TC mode you can adjust power output to the full 200 watts by holding down fire and minus. IN power mode holding down fire and minus switches between normal preheat and hard preheat. To switch modes use fire and plus and it’ll cycle to the next mode. A true menu would have been nicer but since it’s pretty limited it works well enough. Holding down plus and minus shows you the live resistance and the individual battery voltages of each battery which is nice and flips the screen if you hold it long enough. That’s all there is to this mod. It also auto locks the adjustment buttons so to adjust your power you have to hold the button down until it blinks then you can adjust it which is a nice feature for pocketing.

The Innokin Big Box Atlus adjusts by .5 watt increments under 100 watts and full watt increments 100 or more and also round robbins. Very well done there and fast and easy to adjust. I love that they do .5 increments and not .1 and wish all mods did this. The mod itself is built solid with no rattle at all, and is very light due to being fully resin. The Battery door is a standard magnetic side plate and It’s easy to get batteries in and out without damaging wraps and takes 2 18650 batteries. It fits great with no play on it and has a plate on the back. One thing of note though is one of my magnets came off the door and stuck to the mod. I need to glue that back in at some point so it’ll get dinged for that.

There is no paint on the mod since it’s all resin, but i have to say the resin is beautiful. The blue one i have is a mixture of blue and green and just looks phenomenal and the matching included tip is nice to throw on any atty that takes a 810 tip. The fire button is nice and clicky and a good size. It works well and It never gets stuck or anything though which is as it should be and is really comfy to use and sits flush with the mod pretty much. The 510 pin gave me no issues and every atomizer i used on it worked great with no gaps. The mod handles a 24mm atomizer flush with the slightly beveled top but a 25mm looks good as well and doesn't overhang the mod just the bevel a little. The screen is a bit old and outdated but based on when it was released understandable. It’s the same screen like their kroma-a mod and a “DNA style” black and white small screen like the DNA mods had before the C chips. Also for branding the mod itself there is none visible at all. Just inside the battery door with the metal plate. They don’t list a charging rate and i don’t recommend charging internally in your mods and I don’t test charge rates of devices like this due to that.

Pros:
  • Power mode performance
  • Accurately rated for watts (196)
  • good amp limit (38)
  • great volt limit
  • boost circuit
  • batteries are easy to get in and out without damaging wraps
  • nice fire button
  • handles 25mm atomizers without overhang
  • easy to adjust wattage quickly
  • individual battery voltage readings
  • nice solid build quality and no button rattle
  • good battery door
  • color options (3)
  • full resin body not just a panel
Cons:
  • TC doesn't work
  • lack of TCR adjustments and TCR mode
  • screen is a bit old and outdated looking
  • lack of power options (only a normal or hard preheat, no curves)
  • no real menu system
  • magnet came off my battery door
Conclusion
So with all that said, do I recommend this mod or not? I don’t like to do a hard yes or no and this one i have to lean towards the yes for power mode but a no for TC. It’s a great mod for power mode and the bets looking resin mod i’ve seen IMO. it’s hard to find and not sure if it can be purchased anymore but if you like resin mods and don’t use TC this is a great albeit basic mod. I added this mod to my sheet of recs linked down below as a power mode mod only.

This is Anthony Vapes just keeping it honest, hopefully you all can say the same and i’ll catch you on my next review.

Product Disclaimer
This product was sent to me from Innokin

Review Disclaimer
Due to possible QC difference your experience may vary.

Reviewer Disclaimer
I’ve been doing vape reviews since late 2016 and have done around 300 reviews to date. I enjoy helping vapers on forums as well and helping contribute to the great vape community. I’m not an “out of the box” reviewer. I do my best to be thorough at all times and have enough experience with many products to tell what’s good and what’s not. All mods get tested with an oscilloscope and stress tested and results are posted in my reviews.

Recommendations and Past Review Links
written reviews list here

Youtube Channel here

Spreadhseet of Recommendations here

Best of 2018 so far list here

Best of 2017 list here

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread