Anthony Vapes: Innokin DV Pod Tech Review

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anthony_Vapes

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 23, 2017
Hi All, Anthony Vapes back here with my review of the innokin dv Pod Kit, please see the bottom for disclaimers and links. Note this is not marked as a sample version.

Introduction:
The Innokin DV Pod kit is the latest Pod Kit from popular vape manufacturer Innokin. They been around a long time in vaping mostly popular for making beginner stuff like their endura kits and internal battery mods like the cool fire series as well as their kroma-a kit. In 2018 they made some good products mainly the Endura T18 II, Proton, and EQ pod system. The DV is a tear drop style AIO Pod system like a breeze 2 or innokin EQ but with more design, with refillable pods and a built in 500mah battery and is both press button to fire and inhale to fire. It’s available in 3 colors Black, White, and Silver. Looking around online it’s available in the 20-35 USD price range, elementvape has them for 23.95. Replacement coils are pretty cheap as well ranging from 2-4 USD online.

Manufacturer's Specs:
  • Integrated 500mAh Rechargeable Battery
  • Adjustable Wattage Output Range: 12-15W - 4 Options
  • Draw-Activated Firing Mechanism - Firing Button Included
  • LED Battery Life Indicator
  • Zinc-Alloy Chassis Construction
  • 2.0/2.8mL Refillable Pod Design
  • Innokin PLEX3D Mesh Coil Family
  • 0.5ohm PLEX3D Mesh Coil - rated for 12-15W
  • Bottom Fill System - Silicone Stoppered
  • Magnetic Snap-In Connection
  • Short-Circuit Protection
  • Low Voltage Protection
  • Overheating Protection
  • Over Charging Protection
  • Micro USB Charging Port
  • Available in White, Grey, Silver
Included in box:
  • 1 Innokin DV Ultra Portable Pod System
  • 1 Innokin DV Replacement Pod
  • 1 Micro USB Cable
  • 1 User Manual
  • 1 Warranty Card
  • 1 Warning Booklet
  • 1 Battery Warning Card
Coil Options
  • 0.5ohm PLEX3D Mesh Coil - rated for 12-15W (kanthal coil, cotton and wood pulp wicking)
Picture Album
album

Kit Rundown
The Innokin DV Pod is a “teardrop” styled AIO (all in one) Pod kit, meaning there isn’t a separate mod or tank that can be used with anything else. It does have replaceable pods so you can carry spares, but those are sold separately and the coils are built into the pods so you replace the whole pod like a renova zero or innokin EQ. It’s a pretty small size all things considered and a little smaller than the breeze 2 or orion in sizing and shape. There is no adjustable air as well like most pods. Not a big deal but it is cool when pods have adjustable air but not really the standard these days yet so just a bonus when it has that. It has a good capacity of 2.8 ml (also 2ml TPD version available). The battery is listed at 500mah so pretty good size based on the size of the device itself and pretty average capacity in a pod system. No complaints there. It features built in USB charging but they don’t list a charge rate for some reason. I tested this 4 times with 2 different inline USB meters and for the charge rate and it charges at .45-.49a so it’s half amp charging. Not too bad but 1A would have been better. It charges full in about 1 hour and 15 mins. Battery size wise my 4 tests had results between 449-503 mah. Nothing way overstated form what they list it as which is all i’m looking for so good ratings. It does have passthrough vaping as well which is great. The drip tip is proprietary and part of the pod itself. The DV Pod is very nicely built and has a solid metal body. The coloring is also nice. I got the white one and it’s not shiny but not matte either. Somewhere in between. It’s showing no signs of wear and looks good.

The pods attach to the battery via a clip in system and are easy to get in and out and fit really well so good job there and fit it nicely with no wiggle or play. To remove the pod just pull it out. The Pods are easy to fill, To fill them it uses a standard rubber plug you remove to fill and the fill hole is large enough to use with a fine tip bottle easily. The rubber plug though is easy to open and access. Then just stick the bottle in and squeeze it. No complaints there

Usage is pretty easy. It’s a fire button + auto draw device. You have both options. I never really understood the point of that but i guess if the air sensor was to stop working you could fire with the button but outside of that as long as the air sensor works the fire button isn’t needed. It also has adjustable output for 12, 13, 14, or 15 watts. To turn the device on or off you can click fire 3 times. To adjust the power output there is a separate button. Just hold it down and it’ll start cycling the output which is nicely labeled by the number of watts. When it reaches the one you want, let go of the button. Very easy to use. There is a large bright LED that is easy to see inside the fire button. It’s only on when vaping (or you can press the fire button quickly to check it as well) and lets you know the battery charge. Green means Full, Yellow means Half and Red means Low. Good enough battery meter not great but not bad. There is also a purple LED around the screen part for looks that is on when firing and an LED to show what wattage you are at that is also lit when firing. The pod is also fully exposed so easy to see juice level for the most part but is tinted quite dark so hard to see in some lighting. I really wish companies would stop tinting pods. IDK how many times i have to say this.

Coil Performance and details
The Innokin DV Pod Kit comes with 2 Pods which is great. All kits should always include 2 coils/pods, so happy they did as a lot of them seem not to. There is only 1 coil option which is a 0.5ohm PLEX3D Mesh Coil - rated for 12-15W (kanthal coil, cotton and wood pulp wicking).

Performance wise though since they sent me extra pods I used 3 in total. 1 from the kit and 2 seperate ones. I used all 50/50 and 60/40 nic salt juices 20-25 mg nicotine. I used all 4 settings. The pods work well on any setting and the higher settings are a little warmer of a vape but there isn’t a “cool vape option” just different levels of warm. Flavor was good though not great. so I’d consider it a “tier 2” nothing wrong with that. Life wise though they all lasted around 11 ml of juice so good enough, not great but good enough. My only complaint about the pods however is the tend to leak quite a bit. You can see that in the picture in the album. They leak from the positive pin on the pod not the air hole and into the battery part which surprisingly didn’t hurt the battery at all or the air sensor. But i did have to clean it up quite a few times. The pricing structure is pretty good for replacements at around 2-4 bucks per pod replacement and are sold in packs of 1.

Pros:
  • color options (3 total)
  • Good 2.8ml capacity
  • Good build quality on battery
  • nice simple looks and LEDs
  • good paint job
  • small size for easy portability
  • Passthrough Vaping
  • good enough ratings for battery size
  • good enough charge rate
  • good flavor for a pod system
  • pods are easy to remove and install
  • good enough battery meter that is easy to see
  • comes with 2 pods
  • price point for device and coils
  • easy to fill pods
  • adjustable output
  • inhale to fire worked great with no misfires
Cons:
  • Juice level a little hard to see due to pod tinting
  • coil life could be better. It’s good enough but not great
  • pods are leaky
Conclusion
So with all that said, do I recommend this POD kit or not? I don’t like to do a hard yes or no, and this one i have to set at 50/50. It’s not a bad device, device by any means. Overall it pretty much meets my minimums as far as flavor, coil life, and performance. It has some cool features and looks good and works good, but it’s just not as good as many others. The leaking pods is what made me go 50/50 had it not been for that I would have leaned a little towards the yes. If you can deal with that and already have one, i don’t see a reason to replace it but if you were in the market for a new pod system, I’d look elsewhere until they can fix the pods and make them not leak and last longer. I won’t be adding this to my spreadsheet of recs which is linked below.

This is Anthony Vapes just keeping it honest, hopefully you all can say the same and i’ll catch you on my next review.

Product Disclaimer
This product was sent to me from Innokin

Review Disclaimer
Due to possible QC difference your experience may vary.

Reviewer Disclaimer
I’ve been doing vape reviews since late 2016 and have done around 300 reviews to date. I enjoy helping vapers on forums as well and helping contribute to the great vape community. I’m not an “out of the box” reviewer. I do my best to be thorough at all times and have enough experience with many products to tell what’s good and what’s not. All mods get tested with an oscilloscope and stress tested and results are posted in my reviews.

Recommendations and Past Review Links
written reviews list here

Spreadsheet of Recommendations here

Best of 2018 list here

Best of 2017 list here

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread