Anthony Vapes: Innokin Jem Pen AIO Tech Review

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anthony_Vapes

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 23, 2017
Hi All, Anthony Vapes back here with my review of the innokin jem pen AIO Kit, please see the bottom for disclaimers and links. Note this is not marked as a sample version.

Introduction:
The innokin jem pen AIO kit is the latest AIO (All in One) kit from popular vape manufacturer Innokin. They have a good history of making good beginner stuff for many years and even made one of my favorite mods of last year in the proton. But lately it seems more mises with products like the gala, EQs, and DV pods so let's see if the Jem pen AIO can be a bounce back for them. The Jem Pen is a simple “pen styled”i AIO with replaceable coils and a built in 1000mah battery and is press button to fire. It’s available in 6 colors Black, Blue, Pink, Silver, White, and Cosmos. Looking around online I see them for around 16-20 bucks but element vape has them for 18.95 for the kit and 17.95 for a 5 pack of coils so really good price point for the device but the coils are out of stock.

Manufacturer's Specs:
  • Dimensions - 129.5mm by 16mm Diameter
  • Integrated 1000mAh Rechargeable Battery
  • MAX. Wattage Output: 13W
  • Max Voltage Output: 5.5V
  • Resistance Range: 0.6-3.5ohm
  • Stainless Steel Chassis Construction
  • Intuitive Firing Button
  • Tri-Color LED Battery Life Indicator Light
  • 2mL Integrated Tank Capacity
  • Threaded Top Fill System - Dual Fill Ports
  • Innokin JEM Coil Series
  • Threaded Coil Installation
  • Juice Viewing Window
  • Glass Cage
  • Over Discharge Protection
  • Over Charge Protection
  • Short Circuit Protection
  • Over Heat Protection
  • High Resistance Protection
  • 15S Over Time Protection
  • MicroUSB Port
Coil Options (same coils as the Goby)
  • 1.6ohm Kanthal Coil - Optimized for 13W
  • 2.0ohm Ceramic Coil - Optimized for 13W
Included in box:
  • 1 JEM Pen AIO
  • 1 1.6ohm JEM Kanthal Coil Head
  • 1 2.0ohm Ceramic JEM Coil Head
  • 1 Set of Spare Parts
  • 1 MicroUSB Cable
Picture Album
album

Kit Rundown
The Jem Pen AIO is simple pen style AIO kit that which means the coil screws directly onto it (no 510 connection). There isn’t a separate mod or tank that can be used with anything else. It does have replaceable coils like any AIO or tank. It’s a really small and portable size and a flashback to the old ego kits in a sense. There is no adjustable air, not a big deal since it pretty much competes with pods and most of those don’t. It has an average capacity of 2ml (so TPD compliant). The battery is listed at 1000mah and it’s a constant 13w output device. It features built in USB charging however they don’t list a charge rate sadly. I tested this 2 times with an inline USB meter and for the charge rate it charges at .89A max so 1A charging would be a good listed rate, and it charges full in about 70-80 minutes so not bad at all and pretty standard. Battery size wise I got 920-950mah so good rating there at 1000mah. Close enough. It does not have passthrough vaping sadly. The drip tip is proprietary and part of the tank itself and you unscrew that to fill it up.

The Innokin Jem Pen AIO is very nicely built, but lightweight as well. Paint wise i have the black which is a semi gloss finish and does fingerprint a little. Not a big deal though and it looks simple and sleek and oo signs of wearing either. No complaints on the paint. The tank section functions like any standard tank. You unscrew from the base to change the coil and the coil itself screws into the battery section. To fill it uses a standard screw off top cap and has 2 small fill holes which are good enough sizes for a fine tooth bottle. The fill cap is plastic threaded which I typically don’t care for, however the threads are quite large and I don’t see it being much of an issue but I would have greatly preferred metal threading. My main issue is that it’s hard to grip anything to unscrew and I often found myself using my teeth to start unscrewing it. The tank is protected but not replaceable and no spare comes with it but at least it’s not really tinted (very slighted) so you can see the juice level easy. It is plastic like most pods these days.

Usage is pretty easy. It’s a simple 1 button device. There are no modes or settings. The one button is a fire button and you can click it 5 times to turn the device on or off. The LED is on the front inside the fire button. When firing it lights up to let you know the charge. Green means Full to 60%, Yellow means 40-20% and Red means 20% or less. Not bad but I would have liked to see a 4th step in between green and yellow.

Coil Performance and details
The Innokin Jem Pen AIO comes with 2 Coils which is great. All kits should always include 2 coils/pods. There are 2 coil options that it comes with and they are the same type as the Goby tank they released a little over a year ago. The 2 it comes with are the 1.6ohm Jem Kal coil and the 2ohm Jem Ceramic Coil. I used all 50/50 and 60/40 nic salt juices 20-25 mg nicotine. I started with the 2 ohm ceramic coil and flavorwise it was just vapeable. Much worse then many good pods i’ve had. It’s a solid MTL draw and not really loose MTL or tight MTL. Life wise it sadly only lasted me about 4ml of juice so overall just not a good coil. Then onto the 1.6 ohm coil. This has a similar draw as the 2 ohm one. Flavorwise it’s also just vapeable for the most part. I used 3 of these since they sent me 1 that came in the box and a pack of extras and 2 were just vapeable flavorwise and 1 was just good enough to be a low end tier 2 compared to pod systems. All 3 coils only lasted between 2-4ml of juice as well. I usually expect around 10ml for a good coil like this and all 4 fell way short. Overall the coils on this just aren’t good.

Pros:
  • color options (6 total)
  • Average 2 ml capacity
  • Good build quality
  • nice and simple looks
  • good size for easy portability
  • charges fast enough (under 90 mins)
  • good rating on Battery Size
  • easy to replace coil
  • led is easy to see
  • simple and easy to use
  • comes with 2 coils
  • easy to see juice level
  • comes with a lanyard to wear around neck if wanted
  • Super cheap price point (under 20 bucks)
Cons:
  • Battery meter needs a 4th step
  • Fill cap not easy to unscrew (too small and slick)
  • plastic threading on fill cap
  • No Passthrough Vaping
  • poor flavor for a pod/MTL AIO
  • poor coil life
Conclusion
So with all that said, do I recommend this kit or not? I don’t like to do a hard yes or no, but this one leans towards the no pretty easily. If you are in the market for a beginner MTL pen style kit, their endura T18 II is a way better option and sadly one of the few that has good coils form them lately. I’d opt for the endura over this easily. I won’t be adding this to my spreadsheet of recs which is linked below, feel free to check that out if you are in the market for anything.

This is Anthony Vapes just keeping it honest, hopefully you all can say the same and I'll catch you on my next review.

Product Disclaimer
This product was sent to me from Innokin

Review Disclaimer
Due to possible QC difference your experience may vary.

Reviewer Disclaimer
I’ve been doing vape reviews since late 2016 and have done over 400 reviews to date. I enjoy helping vapers on forums as well and helping contribute to the great vape community. I’m not an “out of the box” reviewer. I do my best to be thorough at all times and have enough experience with many products to tell what’s good and what’s not. All mods get tested with an oscilloscope and stress tested and results are posted in my reviews.

Recommendations and Past Review Links
written reviews list here

Youtube Channel here

Spreadsheet of Recommendations here

Best of 2019 so far list here

Best of 2018 list here

Best of 2017 list here

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread