Anthony Vapes: Joyetech Silk Kit with Notchcore Tank Tech Review

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anthony_Vapes

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 23, 2017
Hi All, Anthony Vapes back here with my review of joyetech Silk Kit with Notchcore tank. Please see bottom for disclaimers and links.

Introduction:
The Espion Silk with Notchcore tank from joyetech is their latest kit to hit the market. Joyetech is one of the longest standing companies in vaping and have been around a long time so most vapers know who they are. With the Slik Kit it includes an internal battery 80 watt mod and a small low watt/MTL capable tank with their new Notchcore coils. The slim mod is a fully plastic mod covered in a rubber like material and claims to be hypoallergenic for those sensitive to certain metals which makes it really light and comfortable. It’s available in 3 colors Black/Red, Brown/Black, and Orange/Black. It’s available for preorder at heavengifts.com for 68.65

Manufacturer's Specs: Mod
  • Size: 29.5 x 40.0 x 80.0mm
  • Screen type: 0.69-inch OLED display
  • Battery: built-in 2800mAh battery
  • Output wattage: 1-80W
  • Modes: POWER/BYPASS/TEMP(NI/TI/SS)/TCR(M1/M2/M3)
  • Resistance range: 0.05-1.5ohm for TEMP/TCR mode
  • Resistance range: 0.05-3.5ohm for POWER mode
  • Temperature range: 100-315°C/ 200-600°F
  • Max charging current: 2A
  • Thread: spring-loaded 510
  • Built-in 2800mAh battery with 80W max output
  • 0.69-inch OLED display
  • Soft lightweight skin-friendly material
  • 2A quick charge
Manufacturer's Specs: Tank
  • Size: 22.0 x 49.5mm
  • Capacity: 2.5ml
  • Coil: 0.45ohm NotchCoil
  • Thread: 510
  • Top refill with adjustable bottom airflow
  • Innovative horizontal NotchCoil technology
  • Ultra-long lifespan 0.45ohm NotchCoil
Included in box:
  • 1x NotchCore Tank(2.5ml)
  • 1x NotchCoil head(Pre-installed)
  • 4x NotchCoil head
  • 1x ESPION Silk MOD
  • 1x Glass Tube
  • 1x QC USB cable
  • 1x Manual
  • 1x Warranty card
  • 1x Warning card
  • Spare Parts
Coil Options:
  • NotchcoilTM .45 ohms best 20-25 watts kanthal
Picture Album
album

Initial Impressions and features
When I first got this Mod, i was pretty impressed with the weight of it. It barely weighs anything but that is one of the pros of not having any metal in your mod really. It’s a full plastic body covered in a soft rubber-ish like material they claims to be hypoallergenic but i don’t have any allergies personally so can’t say if that claim true or not. It feels like a cheap mod, i’m not gonna lie which originally turned me off a little but 1st impressions can be a bit harsh and we all feel like quality means weight to it. I found this mod to be a nice quality over time however and more durable than you would think. The included notchcore tank is a low watt tank made for loose MTL to DTL vaping. I found it to be pretty versatile with that as well. Overall I liked this little kit from the start even if it felt cheap to me.

Watt Mode Performance
Now let’s get into some data. I ran my normal testing. Testing resistances were done at .11, .14, .19, and .6 ohms. wattage points were max (80), 60, 40, and 20. At .11 ohms it maxed out at 73 watts and 26 amps. For the rest of the testing it was pretty accurate 2 watts weak at 60 and right on point for under 60. At .14 it maxed out at 76 watts. The rest were pretty good again hitting high 2 watts at 40 and 60 but right on point for 20. For the .19 test it maxed out at 80 watts. Again pretty accurate and right on point at 60 or more but 1-2 watts high below 60. For the .6 testing it maxed out at 85 watts and 7.153 volts. For the rest of the testing 4-5 watts high 60 or more but only 1-2 watts high 40 or less. The volts shows there is a boost circuit like most internal battery mods.

Overall I felt the performance of this mod was really good. It’s mostly on point or 1-2 watts off. With the included tank people will be vaping 30 or less watts on it and at that range it’s never off by more then 1-2 watts so really accurate. I was able to get 85 watts max, so I consider it to be accurately rated at 80 watts but you need to be at .2 ohm or higher to get it, which is fine. The 7.153 volt limit shows there is a boost circuit. Their site doesn't list max Volts but I was limited by the watts anyway and it could be higher. Either way plenty of volts so not an issue with this mod. They don’t list an amp limit either their site, The max i got is 26 which is pretty average for internal battery mods usually at 25-28 amps so no complaints there.

Simplified TLDR Power Performance summary
Mod performance is really good. Mostly hits just a few watts off on the high side but never more then 2 watts at 40 or less which is where this kit will mostly be used. Accurately rated for watts (85), amp limit 26 which is average for internal battery mods. Volts tested at 7.153+ so yes boost circuit as most internal battery mods are and could be higher as i was limited by watts with a .6 ohm coil.

Notchcore Tank, Coils, and Performance
The included Notchcore tank is a simple tank design like many you see on the market. It features a slide back top fill design like most eleaf tanks which is becoming more popular. IIRC I first seen it on the melo tanks. It works great with no issues. It’s a dual bottom airflow tank and the AFC is smooth and easy to adjust and on a stopper. You’ll want to use the AFC because it is quite a bit of air. Leave it open for DTL vaping but close it down almost all the way for a loose MTL vape. It uses a standard 510 drip tip so you can use your own but the included deltin one works well.

Where the tank differs from most is the coil system. Where most tanks have a coil head that you screw into the base, the Joyetech Notchcore tank instead uses just a plan coil you install like you would in an RTA but with no tools needed and is only compatible with the notcore coils. All you do to swap the coil is unscrew the tank (should be empty) and just pop the coil out and pop a new one in like you would a tube fuse. It reminds me a lot of the wanko RDA coil system from a few years ago.

The coils themselves are .45 ohm notch coils that are pre-wicked. You can also clean them and rewick if you please to do so which is nice and it comes with a whopping 5 of them right of the bat and replacements are very cheap. Currently heavengifts.com has them listed at 3.88 for a 5 pack. There is more than enough included to get most vapers through a few months even without rewicking. I found the coils to perform very well. You can use them for DTL regular juice at around 25-30 watts with the air open or if you want to use high MG nic salts you can vape at 15-18 watts with the air almost closed off all the way. I found it best to use for the higher MG nic salts with less watts and was able to vape 30ml per coil (i used 2 coils) and that was without rewicking. And it doesn't use much juice at that wattage at all. Very good coil life and performance with high MG nic salts and not bad with some 70/30 lower mg juice as well. Very versatile.

Other Usage Notes
The mod uses a 5 click to turn on and off. The menu system is a bit old and outdated and similar to the popular eleaf pico mods. You use 3 clicks to enter the menu to switch modes and 4 clicks to enter the sub menu to make adjustments to the mod. In the sub menu the icons are hard to tell really and just makes it look old and outdated. It’s really a poor outdated system and for a mod released in 2018 it should have a simple menu system that is intuitive. I mean it works, but should be much better.

The mod features VW watt mode, preheat option (power and duration) and Temp control mode for Ni200, SS, and Ti as well as TCR mode. The mod adjusts by .1 watt increments, at less than 20 watts but full watt increments above 20 watts which i love. I didn’t test temp control on this mod but none of the eleaf/joyetech mods do a good job in TC so i doubt it’s worthwhile for that. I reviewed this simply as a starter kit. A internal battery mod with a low watt tank for power mode vaping.

The mod itself is build solid with no rattle on the buttons, and all the buttons are nice and clicky. The paint looks nice and doesn't scratch off, and i have no visible wear but it’s mostly covered in the rubber-ish material which is holding up very well. The fire button is nice and and clicky but a little on the small side however has a nice texture to it. The 510 pin gave me no issues but I only used it with the Notchcore tank. The mod can handle a 22mm atomizer without overhang. The screen is a small .69” rectangle black and white screen the same as the newer pico mods like the Pico 21700 and Pisco S. It’s bright enough to get the job done though but looks a little old and outdated. They list the charge rate at 2 amp charging which is nice to have it charge fast. The battery is listed at 2800mah so pretty similar in battery life to a single battery mod. The mod also has a reset button on the bottom in case it acts up and you have to reset it

Pros:
  • Lightweight
  • color options
  • nice paint job
  • nice unique design
  • very ergonomic and comfy to hold and soft
  • no button rattle
  • Power mode performance
  • Accurately rated for watts
  • Boost circuit
  • Reset button
  • Nice included Beginner tank for loose MTL or low watt DTL
  • Coil performance and Life
  • Easy to replace inexpensive coils that can be rewicked
  • Worked good with 50/50 to 70/30 juices with no leaks
  • Tank has nice slideback top fill
  • Full Watt adjustments 20+ watts
Cons:
  • Mod feels cheap in the hand due to being so lightweight
  • outdated not intuitive menu system
  • Small outdated looking screen
Conclusion
So with all that said, do I recommend this kit or not? I don’t like to do the yes or no, but for this i’m going to have to lean towards the yes for sure. Remember i didn’t use temp control or other atomizers and am only reviewing this as a kit, but for a small kit for low watt vaping it does a nice job and well worth the look. The tank can also be purchased separate as well and is the real star of the show for this kit but the mod is very accurate as well in power mode just like the pico mods and probably the same if not a similar chip. I’ll be adding this to my sheet of recs for a power mode mod and a low watt tank

This is Anthony Vapes just keeping it honest, hopefully you all can say the same and i’ll catch you on my next review.

Product Disclaimer
This product was sent to me from Joyetech

Review Disclaimer
Due to possible QC difference your experience may vary.

Reviewer Disclaimer
I’ve been doing vape reviews since late 2016 and have done around 200 reviews to date. I enjoy helping vapers on forums as well and helping contribute to the great vape community. I’m not an “out of the box” reviewer. I do my best to be thorough at all times and have enough experience with many products to tell what’s good and what’s not. All mods get tested with an oscilloscope and stress tested and results are posted in my reviews.

Recommendations and Past Review Links
written reviews list here

Youtube Channel here

Spreadhseet of Recommendations here

Best of 2018 so far list here

Best of 2017 list here

Reactions: lil_buddy
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread