Anthony Vapes: Modefined Prism Tech Review. Best 3 battery non DNA mod?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anthony_Vapes

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 23, 2017
Hi All, Anthony Vapes back here with a double review. Today i’ll be reviewing the Modefined Prism mod and the vandyvape Triple rta. Disclaimer: Both products were sent to me from elementvape.com

Review Disclaimer
I review products for what they are with no account of where it comes from or who makes it. The test results are the results for what is in my hand. Due to possible QC difference your experience may vary. I spend more time with products then most reviewers and try to be thorough, do disassemblies to check for design flaws, do accuracy testing, and stress testing, something that is typically done in maintenance industries to try and “force” a failure or diagnose a potential failure point to give me an idea of a devices longevity. With that said, there is no way for myself or anyone to predict if a device will last 6 months, 1 year, 5 years etc. Any manufactured item from cars to phones to computers to mods have a possibility of arriving DOA or having a small % failure rate. There is no way to predict this or quantify this. That’s why warranties and lemon laws exist. I can only review what I have in my hand for better or for worse. Contrary to popular belief, there is no special review samples of higher quality. Most of the time personally i get retail versions, the few times i’ve gotten early releases they are usually worse than the final retail version.

Modefined Prism
Introduction:
The Modefined Prism is the latest mod from the Modefined brand which is made by lost vape, most famous for their DNA mods. The modefined brand however uses a proprietary chip instead of a DNA chip making them more on the affordable side. The Prism is the follow up to the excellent sirius mod i reviewed a few months back, one of my favorite dual battery mods of 2017. The Prism is a triple 18650 250 watt mod mod in the shape of the triad 250. It’s available with 4 frame colors black, grey, red, and blue each with the option for a leather door or carbon fibre door. I have the black one with the carbon fibre door.

Manufacturer's Specs
  • Triple 18650 High-Amp Battery - Not Included
  • Wattage Output Range: 7-250W
  • Minimum Atomizer Resistance: 0.05ohm
  • Temperature Range: 200-600F
  • Versatile Temperature Control Module
  • Supports Ni200 Nickel, Titanium, and Stainless Steel Heating Elements
  • Superior Die-Cast Zinc Alloy Construction
  • Carbon Fiber Control Face
  • Luxurious Genuine Leather or Polished Carbon Fiber Battery Cover
  • Intuitive Large OLED Display
  • Oversized Firing Mechanism
  • Four Button Operations
  • MicroUSB Port
  • Spring-Loaded Stainless Steel 510 Connection
Included in box:
  • 1 Prism 250W TC Box Mod
  • 1 MicroUSB Cable
  • Instructional Manual
Pictures and test results
Chart:
dm06bVq.png

Spreadsheet:
YBRjrNh.png

Stock Shot Colors:
modefined_prism_250w_tc_box_mod_4_colors__1.jpg

Size comparisons

o1OuYvg.jpg

jbYKgEv.jpg

ifbnEeB.jpg

RfWfW05.jpg

Handchecks:
3zqIYpt.jpg

AOZScn0.jpg

510 pin
531a8mr.jpg

Initial Impressions and features
When I first got this Mod, I was pretty impressed with the looks and design of it. It felt like a real high end mod. I’d say even better built then my triad 250 as the battery door on this one is better. The carbon fibre surrounding the screen looks great as does the carbon fibre sticker on the battery door which has that rubery feel to it. Also better than my triad 250 leather and carbon fibre doors. It feels good in the hand and is only slightly bigger than my triad 250 so a good size for a triple 18650 mod. The top is also flat so 30mm atomizers look great on it with no overhang.

Watt Mode Performance
Let’s get into some data. I ran my normal testing. Testing resistances were done at .11 , .16, .2, and .53 ohms. wattage points were max (250), 200, 150, 100, 75, 50, and 25. At .11 ohms it maxed out at 169 watts and 39 amps. The 39 amps is on the low side for a triple batteyr mod as many now do in the 45-50 range. It’s more in line with the average dual battery mod, although my favorite quad battery mod the snow wolf 365 also had the 40 amp limit. The rest of the testing it hit low 1-5 watts except at 25 when it was 1 watt high. Overall very good for such a low resistance coil. At .16 it maxed out at 225 watts with the amp limit likely being the reason it falls short of 250 here. The rest of the testing it was high 3-10 watts low but never more then 5 low for 100 or less watts. For the .2 test it maxed out at 263 watts so it does meet and exceed the published 250 watt spec. The rest of the testing it was 5 watts high over 100 and 100 or less never off by more than 2 watts on the high side. Very accurate here for sure. For the .53 testing it maxed out at 209 watts and 10.519 volts which is really good at such a high resistance. The rest of the testing it was never off by more than 2 watts which is pretty impressive.

Overall i found this to be a good performer in power mode the does it’s best work at a .2 or higher resistance. I would have liked to see a better amp limit since it’s a 3 battery mod, but 3 battery mods are few and far between these days. It should still be more than enough to power any build for most vapers. The mod reads live resistance but still asks if it’s a new coil when attaching. It reads resistance pretty accurate, sometimes .01-.03 high which is good. The output was smooth and consistent during all of my testing. The mod never gets hot and barely even gets warm during the stress testing. It also adjusts by full watt which i wish more mods did.

Temperature Control
Using SS316 wire with the default SS mode. I tested 8 builds ranging from single round spaced single and dual coils, to fancy single coil and Fancy dual coil builds and a fancy triple coil build. 1st off Let’s talk about what the mod doesn't have. There is no TCR mode. It’s just Ni, Ti, or SS only. Also the mod has a 100 watt limit in TC which is a little disappointing. It also does not have the auto watts mode like the sirius. With that said, it worked great on every build I threw at it, with the exception of the triple coil build but the only issue was a slow ramp up due to the 100 watt limit. Outside of that it feels very accurate. I vape most builds around the 430-465F mark as it should be for a warm vape. The dry hit protection is great no dry hits under 500F. Most will find the vape they like between 400-480F as it should be. It’s smooth and not pulsey and very consistent. Overall it’s a great performer in temp control mode with the only downsides being the 100 watt limit and no TCR

Other Usage Notes
The 510 pin on the mod is excellent, properly grounded and secured to the body (pictured above). The 510 also worked great with all the attys i used on it. 30mm will sit flush with no overhang. The mod is built very solid and feels durable. No button rattle or anything. The battery door fits great and the battery sled is great as well and is easy to insert and remove batteries without damaging wrapps. It does have a little wobble to it kind of like the PS4 where if you press it down you’ll notice it. Also it makes a faint pinging noise while in use at times. Most probably won’t notice but in a quiet room you can kinda hear it. No big deal but worth mentioning

I also have a cool little story to go with this mod. You know the kind of stuff you notice when actually using a product before reviewing it lol. So i had no issues for a while. Well one day i put in my freshly charged batteries from my Xtar MC6 charger into the mod. It read full on the mod but wouldn’t fire. It kept giving me a check battery error. So I took them out put them in my triad 250 and it read 93% and fired fine. Now many would have thought the prism went bad, but nope i had to find the cause. So i took the batteries out and checked them with a multimeter. All had voltages between 4.28 and 4.29. My charger overcharged the batteries and the mod was protecting me from using them. So i took them and put them in my hohmbase charger and ran the battery doctor on it. When it was done I checked the voltages with a multimeter. All read 4.20 as it should. Put them in my triad 250 and it read 100 % and fired. Put them in the prism and they read full and fired. I think having the overvoltage protection on the mod is a cool feature, one i wouldn’t have noticed if not for a faulty charger. But it makes a good story right? Anyway I threw out the MC6 charger and also again my hohmbase charger proves to be worth it weight in gold. This is also why it’s important when people ask questions to properly troubleshoot the issue and not just say “lol POS mod from (insert company here)” as sometimes it can be user error or something else that caused the issue. In my case it was a faulty charger

Usage is simple as it comes. 5 click on and off like always with most mods. The mod has a menu button under the adjustment buttons. Click it to change modes then use up and down to scroll through the modes. Not many modes here. Power, Ni, Ti, SS and bypass thats it. No sub menu’s or preheats or curves. Very simple mod. Holding up and down locks the adjustment but you can still fire. In TC mode holding menu and up changes between setting wattage and setting temp. It has individual battery monitors on the screen as well.

Pros:
  • Power performance
  • Temp control performance
  • Easy to use menu system
  • accurately rated
  • Build Quality
  • Sleek simple design
  • good 510 pin
  • Bright large screen
  • comfortable and not too big for a 3 battery mod
  • 30mm atomizers fit without overhang
  • affordable price tag
  • Color Options
Cons:
  • no preheat option or curve modes
  • no TCR mode
  • 100 watt limit in TC
  • Low amp limit for a triple battery mod
Conclusion
So with all that said, do I recommend this mod or not. I Don’t like to do hard yes or no, but this leans heavily towards the yes. Realistically speaking there is a huge lack of good triple battery mods that aren’t DNA one’s especially those that do a good temp control. It has its quirks for sure and a lack of some fancy bells and whistles but overall it’s the best triple battery mod that isn’t a DNA out there In my opinion if you want a simple mod for power and SS temp control usage. I’ll add it to my sheet as a triple battery mod and as a mid range temp mod, only for the fact it lacks TCR options and the 100 watt limit. If it didn’t have those limits I would consider it top tier.

The Modefined prism can be purchased here https://www.elementvape.com/modefined-prism-250w-tc-box-mod for 49.95 all colors in stock

This is Anthony Vapes just keeping it honest, hopefully you all can say the same and i’ll catch you on my next review.

For good recommendations feel free to check out my google sheet of recommendations located here this sheet will be updated regularly so feel free to bookmark it.

Again I want to thank elementvape.com for sending me this for the purpose of this review.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread