Anthony Vapes: Ply Rock Zilla Kit with wake tank tech review

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anthony_Vapes

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 23, 2017
Hi All, Anthony Vapes back here with my review of the Ply Rock Zilla Kit. Please see bottom for disclaimers and links.

Introduction:
The Ply Rock Zilla Kit is a kit that contains their latest mod the zilla 60w, paired with the wake tank in a collaboration with wake mod company for the kit. I had to do a little research as I never heard of ply rock before and they seem to be a pretty new company that mostly partners with other companies on devices, a lot of the times with limitless mod company. In this collaboration they went with wake mod company which was started when the creators of dotmod left the company and started their own company. The zilla mod is an internal battery mod rated at 60 watts and the wake tank is a DTL sub ohm tank. Elementvape is selling the kit for 54.95. It’s available in 3 colors Black, Black/Blue, and Black/Red each with a matching tank.

Manufacturer's Specs: Mod
  • Integrated 2000mAh Rechargeable Battery
  • Wattage Output Range: 5-60W
  • Minimum Atomizer Resistance: 0.05ohm
  • Temperature Range: 200-600F
  • Versatile Temperature Control Module
  • Supports Ni200 Nickel, Titanium, and Stainless Steel Heating Elements
  • Temperature Coefficient of Relativity (TCR) Adjustments
  • Ergonomically Designed - Comfortable Rubberized Grip
  • High Definition OLED Display
  • Elongated Firing Mechanism
  • Two Adjustment Buttons
  • Micro USB Port
  • Spring-Loaded Stainless Steel 510 Connection
Manufacturer's Specs: Tank
  • 24mm Diameter
  • 3.3mL Juice Capacity
  • Pyrex Glass Reinforcement
  • Matte Anodized Aluminum Material - Top Cap & Airflow Ring
  • 24K Gold-Plated Interior Elements
  • 0.5ohm Wake Coil - rated for 40-80W
  • Dual 5-Hole Precision Airflow Control
  • Convenient Threaded Top-Fill Design
  • Acrylic Wide Bore Drip Tip
  • Gold-Plated Copper 510 Contact Pin
Included in box:
  • 1× Zilla 60w mod
  • 1×Wake Tank atomizer
  • 1×0.5Ω coil ( 40-80 watts kanthal)
  • 1×Micro USB cable
  • 1×User's manual
Picture Album
album

Initial Impressions and features
When I first got this kit, I was pretty impressed with the small size light weight of the mod. It’s pretty similar to a pico 25 but slightly bigger however had a decent sized bright screen on the front. It’s an odd shape but quite comfy to hold. I also liked that it has a fire bar that is large and can be clicked anywhere and works so easy for a squeeze fire. The Wake tank i already kind of knew about. It’s pretty much the same as the wake RTA I reviewed but with a premade coil. Still it looks nice in red matching the mod. I was disappointed when i opened the box with the lack of accessories but i’ll go over that more later. Overall though the mod was a pleasant surprise to start.

Watt Mode Performance (chart and spreadsheet in picture album)
Now let’s get into some data. I ran my normal testing. Testing resistances were done at .11, .14, .19, and .6 ohms. wattage points were max (60), 40, and 20. At .11 ohms it maxed out at 44 watts and 20 amps. For the rest of the testing it was on the low side 6-7 watts. At .14 it maxed out at 49 watts. The rest were slightly weak 2-5 watts. For the .19 test it maxed out at 49 watts. Again hit weak a little 3-6 watts. For the .6 testing it maxed out at 52 watts and 5.575 volts. For the rest of the testing again weak 2-6 watts. The volts shows there is a boost circuit in this mod like most internal battery mods on the market.

Overall I felt the performance of this mod wasn’t really good. It hits weak most of the time which would normally not be a huge deal since it’s only around 5-6 watts weak on average but being that it’s only a 60 watt mod that’s a big loss of 10% of max wattage. It maxed out at 52 watts but with the higher ohm .6 coil. With .2 or lower it couldn’t reach 50. It’s not a 60 watt mod. Normally i wouldn’t care about 10 watts off like if it’s a mod rated for 210 watts but only does 200 that’s fine to me, but a mod rated for 60 watts that is really 52 max that’s 14% lower than advertised. To put it in perspective if it was a 200 watt mod off by that much. The max would be 172 watts max which is pretty far off. The max amps were low as well at only 20. The average for an internal battery mod these days is 25. Volt limit is fine at 5.575 with a .6 ohm coil as it was capped by the watt limit and could even be higher but shows that it does have a boost circuit as it should.

Simplified TLDR Power Performance summary
Mod performance is not really good. Mostly hits weak 5-6 watts. Not accurately rated for watts (52), Yes boost circuit, low amp limit of 20. Volts tested at 5.575 with a .6 ohm load limited by the watts.

Temperature Control Performance
Using SS316 wire in SS mode (there is no TCR mode or adjustments) due to the low watt limit of the device i couldn’t test as many builds as i normally do but i did test 1 simple round, 1 simple dual both spaced and 1 fancy coil build that was good for around 40 watts in power mode. The mod uses an “auto watts” and doesn't have adjustable wattage in TC either. It’s very basic as you just set the mode to TC, put on an atomizer and hit plus for new coil to lock it in.

With that said the performance is actually pretty decent. The lack of adjustments hurts and it does hit a little high so it’s best used under 400F. I found 330-380F to be a warm vape for the 3 builds and it was pretty consistent overall ramps up nicely and has good dry hit protection. I would have liked a bit more consistency from build to build however. But once dialed in i didn’t need to adjust it. It won’t provide a cool vape really for those who like that. Overall i consider it decent. Not something i’d recommend for TC but can vape well in it. I hope their next mod continues in the same direction and improves on this one and adds in more options like a TCR adjust and power adjust. Also worth noting is the manual states Ni mode is nichrome, I believe this to be a typo but i don’t really use nichrome personally to test it. I believe it’s really for ni200 and am willing to take the educated guess on that and even the specs listed are listed as ni200 so they should have fixed that typo.

Other Usage Notes
The mod uses a standard 5 clicks to turn on and off. The menu system is basic but does the job. It's not a true menu system but it has a menu button that you click to cycle through the modes which are power, SS, Ni, and Ti. no preheats, no TCR, no bypass, no power curve. As i said it’s a simple mod. 3 clicks will lock and unlock the device. Plus and minus at the same time will lock the settings but still allow the mod to fire.

The mod also adjusts by full watt which is great. I wish all mods did that. It does not round robbins which would have been nice and i wish all mods did that. The mod itself is build solid but has minor rattle on the fire bar and none on the adjustment buttons. The Zilla has a good weight. Feels solid but not heavy. No Battery door as it’s an internal battery mod and the battery is listed at 2000mah which is around the average for a small internal mod like this.

The paint looks nice and doesn't scratch off, and i have no visible wear. I love the coloring on the red one. All of the colored parts have a nice rubberized texture to them including the buttons and gives it a matte finish while the body itself is a shiny black giving it a nice contrast.

The fire bar is nice and clicky and a good size.It works well and It never gets stuck or anything though which is as it should be. What's’ really nice is unlike many fire bars it works in every spot. Some may not consider it a fire bar but rather a really large fire button but it performs in the same way and takes up a majority of the side of the mod so to me I like to call it a fire bar. The 510 pin gave me no issues and every atomizer i used on it worked great with no gaps. The mod handles a 22mm atomizer flush. Anything bigger will overhang. This really bothers me for 2 reasons, 1 is many atomizers made now are 24mm or more (although the overhang is slight but it’s still there) and 2 the included tank in the kit is a 24mm tank. So the included tank overhangs the mod. It looks much better with my 22mm diameter hastur mini then it does with the included tank IMO.

The screen is a good size (i estimate at .96 inch) black and white screen that is nice and bright and easy to see. It’s a rectangle shape and gives all the basic info needed and the battery charge in percentage which i love, without being too busy. Also for branding the mod itself is pretty nice overall and not heavily branded. There is a small zilla logo engraved on the back and that’s it, and it matches the black part of the mod so it doesn't stand out. They do not list a charge limit which is disappointing. The USB is on the bottom of the mod as well which i don’t like since you have to lay it on it’s side to charge

Wake Tank
The kit comes with a wake tank. It’s very similar to the wake RTA i reviewed so nothing on it really surprised me. You can use their premade coils in the wake RTA as well so not sure why someone would buy this over the RTA. they shouldn’t have made a separate tank and instead just marketed the RTA as a RTA/sub ohm tank combo. Either way i was disappointed with the lack of accessories that came in this package. No spare glass, no spare o-rings, and only 1 coil. If you are going to make a kit do it right. Every other kit i’ve gotten includes spare glass, spare o-rings, and 2 coils minimum. Anyway enough about that, the tank itself is a 24mm diameter tank. The quality is excellent and i think they look beautiful but some people may find all the gold to be a bit flashy. All the threading is nice and smooth and it’s really easy to take apart as both the top cap to fill and the fill ring have nice texture that’s easy to grip. It’s a really well made tank. The fill method is a standard screw off the top cap to expose the 2 large fill holes so very easy to fill. Replacing the coils should be done with an empty tank but can be done about half full or less if you make sure you don’t pull off the glass which is pretty easy to do. They screw into the base like most tanks and the threading is all nice and smooth. Sadly it uses a proprietary drip tip so you are kinda stuck with the one it comes with as it goes over a stem that sticks up but you can put a 510 in the stem but it’ll look funny so just stick with the original which looks nice and is clear. It has only a 3.3ml capacity which is a little on the small side for a 70 watt tank.

Performance wise there is only 1 coil option for this tank which is a .5 ohm basic kanthal coil. It’s rated at 40-80 watts. Here is the big issue i have with this tank, it’s being paired with a 60 watt mod. Using the tank on other mods i found it best around 70 and even with the mod turned all the way up it feels very underpowered for the tank. After doing my testing i found that it was only outputting around 50 watts max so it’s about 20 watts too low to power this tank. To give the mod a little credit though even turned all the way up it doesn't feel like it hits weaker until you get below 20% but running it at 60 watts (but really only 50) sure does kill the mod battery fast. The coils themselves are pretty average. About the same performance you’ll get from most tanks thrown in a kit like an ijoy or smok kit for example but nothing worth buying on it’s own. It’s average not bad at all but not great. I got 80ml out of the coil which is a good amount i’d consider to be around average so no complaints there. In sort it’s an average performing tank however it’s a bad tank to pair with this mod. They should have sought a lower watt tank or used a bigger battery in the mod with a higher watt limit and better chip, to make this pairing work correctly.

Pros:
  • Build Quality on mod
  • build quality on tank
  • color options with matching tank
  • Very comfy ergonomics
  • easy to use mod
  • decent battery size for a small internal mod
  • full watt adjustment
  • good volt limit
  • good size screen that is bright
Cons:
  • temp mode performance could be better but it’s not terrible
  • lack of options (no TCR, no preheat, no watt curve)
  • tank needs more watts then the mod can provide
  • tank performance is just average
  • minor button rattle on mod
  • Proprietary drip tip on tank
  • only 1 coil included
  • no spare glass or o-rings included
  • mod has overhang with anything larger than 22mm
  • tank capacity could be better
  • Power mode performance
  • Overrated for watts
  • low amp limit
Conclusion
So with all that said, do I recommend this kit or not? I don’t like to do the yes or no, but for this I will have to lean towards the no. It’s a shame as i like the mod itself for a small internal battery power driver that pairs well with a small MTL RTA, but the 22mm limit on atomizers and including a tank that is bigger then that and needs more watts then the mod can provide, it wasn’t a well thought out collaboration. I did think it was pretty good with a small MTL RTA (i enjoyed it with the hastur mini set at 20 watts (which was really 17 actual) but i can't recommend it overall nor can i recommend the kit.

This is Anthony Vapes just keeping it honest, hopefully you all can say the same and i’ll catch you on my next review.

it can be purchased here: PLY Rock Zilla 60W TC Starter Kit | Vape Kits

Product Disclaimer
This product was sent to me from Elementvape

Review Disclaimer
Due to possible QC difference your experience may vary.

Reviewer Disclaimer
I’ve been doing vape reviews since late 2016 and have done around 200 reviews to date. I enjoy helping vapers on forums as well and helping contribute to the great vape community. I’m not an “out of the box” reviewer. I do my best to be thorough at all times and have enough experience with many products to tell what’s good and what’s not. All mods get tested with an oscilloscope and stress tested and results are posted in my reviews.

Recommendations and Past Review Links
written reviews list here

Youtube Channel here

Spreadhseet of Recommendations here

Best of 2018 so far list here

Best of 2017 list here

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread