Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 23, 2017
Hi All, Anthony Vapes back here with my review of the Tesla Punk 220w mod

Product Disclaimer
This product was sent to me from elementvape.com

Review Disclaimer
I review products for what they are with no account of where it comes from or who makes it. The test results are the results for what is in my hand. Due to possible QC difference your experience may vary. There is no way for myself or anyone to predict if a device will last 6 months, 1 year, 5 years etc. Any manufactured item from cars to phones to computers to mods have a possibility of arriving DOA or having a small percent failure rate. There is no way to predict this or quantify this. That’s why warranties and lemon laws exist. I can only review what I have in my hand for better or for worse. Contrary to popular belief, there is no special review samples of higher quality. Most of the time personally i get retail versions, the few times i’ve gotten early releases they are usually worse than the final retail version.

Reviewer Disclaimer
I decided to add this disclaimer in as i feel it’s important for people to know their source of the review. I’ve been vaping since late 2011. I’ve vaped all the styles from MTL to RLH to DTL. tanks, RTAs, RDAs, you name it. I do prefer the DTL and RLH style over MTL personally. My main focus from an atomizer is flavor. For mods i’ve used mechs and regulated mods. I’m an avid temp control vaper but enjoy power mode as well and the occasion mech useage for nostalgia. I’ve been doing reviews since late 2016. As of Jan 2018 I’ve done over 100 written reviews and done over 150 video reviews on my channel, Although i’ve taken a break from videos in the past few months to focus on written reviews.

I spend a lot of time helping vapers on forums as well and try to answer all the questions and comments on my reviews. I’m not an “out of the box” reviewer. I do my best to be thorough at all times. All mods get tested with an oscilloscope and stress tested. At times if needed i’ll disassemble them as well. Rebuildables get multiple builds in them. Tanks i use all coils until the die or a minimum of 2 weeks if they don’t die sooner. I do this for the community to help people find good products and avoid bad ones. In my opinion a reviewer works for the community and nobody else. It’s our job to inform vapers of issues and not be advertisers as well as provide constructive criticism from a place of knowledge back to companies with these reviews so they can improve and make better products in the future.

Recommendations and Past Review Links
written reviews list here

Youtube Channel here

Spreadhseet of Recommendations here

Best of 2017 list here

Introduction:
The Tesla Punk 220w is the follow up to the original Tesla Steampunk 120w mod from teslacigs. While they don’t get a lot of attention, they are a company that often makes some solid mods. The original Tesla steampunk was mildly popular thanks to its heavy feel, on/off switch, and unique design. The new version kept the heavy feel but added see through panels with the steampunk look hidden behind them. They removed the on/off switch and added in some hidden LEDs as well.

Manufacturer's Specs:
  • Dual High-Amp 18650 Battery - Not Included
  • Wattage Output Range: 7-220W
  • Minimum Atomizer Resistance: 0.05ohm
  • Temperature Range: 200-600F
  • Versatile Temperature Control Module
  • Supports Ni200 Nickel, Titanium, and Stainless Steel Heating Elements
  • TCR Adjustments
  • Taste Mode: Soft, Normal, Hard, User
  • Durable Zinc Alloy Frame Construction
  • Transparent Steampunk Design
  • RGB LED Light-Up
  • Intuitive 0.96" OLED Display
  • Oversized Firing Button
  • Three Adjustment Button
  • Bottom-Loaded Sliding Battery Door
  • MicroUSB Port
  • 510 Connection
  • Available in Black, Copper, Brass, Rainbow
Included in box:
  • 1 Tesla Punk 220w mod
  • 1 USB Cable
  • Instructional Manual + Warranty Card
Pictures and test results
Chart:

HoWXuYv.png

Spreadsheet:

ijHL0WD.png

Stock Shot Colors:
tesla_punk_220w_tc_box_mod_1.jpg

Size comparisons

bNFvbVZ.jpg

EMHdsRc.jpg

Xgt7wmM.jpg

fgpPJGd.jpg

zo16G9l.jpg

arIk7II.jpg

Handchecks:

h79TGoq.jpg

OWaZF67.jpg

5csOkIz.jpg

Initial Impressions and features
When I first got this Mod, i was like damn this is heavy. Seriously it’s a very heavy mod. Probably one of the heaviest i’ve ever had. Not surprising since the 120w version was quite heavy as well. The design itself is beautiful though as is the paint job on the copper one i have. It has see through panels and a steampunk design as well as programmable LEDs. The screen and menu is just like the 120w version as well so easy to use. Overall feels like a newer upgraded version of the original tesla steampunk 120 as it should.

Watt Mode Performance
Let’s get into some data. I ran my normal testing. Testing resistances were done at .11 , .15, .20, and .49 ohms. wattage points were max (220), 200, 150, 100, 75, 50 and 25. At .11 ohms it maxed out at 222 watts and 45 amps. For the rest of the testing it hit a little high 1-3 watts except at 75 where it was 2 watts low. Pretty impressive compared to most mods which tend to hit quite low at such a low resistance and rarely does a mod produce max watts at such a low resistance. At .15 it maxed out at 215 watts. It was never off by more then 1 the rest of the way. For the .20 test it maxed out at 186 watts. the 200 test was 20 watts low, but the 150 was 5 high. The rest were never off by more than 2. For the .49 testing it maxed out at 101 watts and 7.048 volts. The rest of the testing it was never off by more than 1 watts. The volts shows there is no boost circuit in this mod. Also this mod shows you volt output. The listed output on the screen was very close to what actually was being put out. You can see on the spreadsheet side by side.

Since i got some feedback some people had issues understanding and reading the numbers since it’s a lot of data and didn’t have bandwidth to look at the sheet pictured above with more details, so i present to you the simplified TL:DR

Simplified TL:DR Performance summary
Mod performance is outstanding! Accurately rated. Accuracy is amazing and for the most part within a watt or 2 of the setting. Very high amp output of 45. Max watts of 222. Volt output average for dual battery non boost mods.

Temperature Control Performance
Using SS316 wire with the default SS mode and also TCR mode using 00092. I locked my resistance as well when i did my testing. I tested 6 builds 1 single round spaced, 1 dual round spaced coil, 2 fancy single coil and 2 Fancy dual coil build. I didn’t notice any difference in TCR mode compared with SS mode so you can use either one. Power can be adjusted easily via the menu system to the full 220. You can also change the preheat as well to adjust ramp up. With that said, the mod hits extremely weak. You have to turn it all the way up for a good vape pretty much. Well over 500F. Even at 500F if was a very cool vape that felt like it cut off too soon. You can never really get a warm vape on it. Dry hit protection is great, even at 600F no dry hits but vapor is still cool. Throttle is solid a little harder back then i like personally but not pulsy at all. Overall i consider it to be passable at best however due to the inaccuracy and the fact you can never really get a warm vape. Not a mod i’d recommend for temp control personally, but not terrible or nonfunctional by any means

Other Usage Notes
The 510 pin on the mod gave me no issues, i didn’t take this mod apart as i didn’t really feel a need to. 24mm will sit flush. Anything over that will overhang slightly on the back due to the angled down design instead of a flat top. I would have preferred it to handle a 25mm without overhang but they still don’t look bad on it. The mod is built very solid and feels durable. The fire button and LED adjust button don’t rattle but the up and down buttons do a little. The battery door uses the clip on style like the Squid DB and Asmodus minikin boost kodama. It’s not a style i like personally however i found this one the easiest to get on and off of the 3. It also has a magnet to guide it into place. I know someone had questions about the door on this as some have had issues with the swing open style of the original one failing over time. This does not have that style and it can’t really fail unless you lose the clip itself. The fire button is a standard smaller size circle but it’s nice and clicky. It features the same screen as the original steampunk 120 which these days is a bit on the small side. But it is nice and really bright and easy to see. The LEDs are quite bright as well but you wouldn’t even know it had them if they aren’t turned on as they are hidden inside the mod and shine through the see through panels. The paint job also looks excellent and it’s a beautiful looking mod in copper for sure.

This modes are power which the call “kanthal mode” with a preheat option as well (soft, norm, hard) They also have a preheat setting of “user” which acts as a watt curve mode. I would have again preferred this to be its own separate mode personally. TC modes for Ni200, Ti, and SS as well as TCR Mode. I don’t like that they call power mode kanthal mode, it could be confusing to new vapers who may think they can’t use SS wire in that mode. The screen layout is nice with plenty of info. The mod adjusts by .5 watt increments instead of .1 and adjust quickly. I like that a lot. It also round robins wattage. Resistance readings are accurate and the mod never got hot or warm in my testing.

Usage is pretty easy. 5 clicks to lock or unlock. Like the DNA mods there is no way to turn it off. They removed the on/off switch from the original 120 version which is a shame as i loved that feature and wish more mods had it. 3 clicks to enter the “menu” which basically highlights options on the screen you can change, use Up and down to scroll. Click fire to select. Easy and simple. The button above up and down is to program the LEDs there are 5 options and also you can turn them off.

Pros:
  • Power performance
  • Easy to use menu system
  • accurately rated
  • Build Quality
  • Bright screen
  • looks
  • affordable price tag
  • full watt curve mode
  • battery percentage on screen
  • .5 increment adjustments for watts
Cons:
  • Temp control performance
  • power mode listed as “kanthal”
  • watt curve mode hidden under preheat settings
  • very heavy
  • not a fan of the door style
  • lack of LED colors
  • 25mm overhangs slightly on back
Conclusion
So with all that said, do I recommend this mod or not. I Don’t like to do hard yes or no and for this one it gets split, it leans towards the no for a temp control mod, however leans heavily towards the yes in power mode. I was very impressed by its accuracy and high watt limits. The fact it can do it’s full wattage at .11 is pretty impressive for a 220 watt rated mod. If your a power mode only user and don't’ mind the bulk and quirks you should take a look at this one for sure. I’ll be adding it to my sheet as a power mode only mod.

This is Anthony Vapes just keeping it honest, hopefully you all can say the same and i’ll catch you on my next review.

Where to buy
USA for 64.95 here all colors in stock at elementvape.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread