Anthony Vapes: Tesla Punk 86W Mod Tech Review

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anthony_Vapes

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 23, 2017
Hi All, Anthony Vapes back here with my review of the Tesla Punk 86W mod. Please see bottom for disclaimers and links. Note: This is not marked as a sample

Introduction:
The Tesla Punk 86W mod is the latest, first and only stick style regulated mod from longtime manufacturer teslacigs. They aren’t too well known but have a little popularity with their punk line of mods like the punk 220w and punk nano which i reviewed both and they make a pretty good mod for power mode. The lightweight WYE was also quite popular as well but i never tried one. The Punk 86W is a single 18650 86 watt stick style mod which has been rare these days. Only other 3 affordable ones i can think of are the joyetech ultex t80, the uwell nunchaku, and the ehpro 101. It’s available in 4 colors SS, Brass, Copper, and Gunmetal.

Manufacturer's Specs:
  • Brand Tesla
  • Dimension 28x104mm
  • Material Brass+SS
  • Battery Type Single high-rate 18650 cell (discharge current should be above 40A, not included)
  • USB 5V/1.0A
  • OLED Screen 0.49 inch
  • Resistance Range 0.1-3.0ohm
  • Protections Long Vaping Protections/Low-Voltage Protection/Atomizer Short Protection/Reverse Connection Protection/Hi Resistance Protection
  • Output Mode P(Power)/B(By Pass) mode
  • Output Wattage 7-86W (in 0.5W increments)
  • Max Output Voltage 8.5V
  • Max Output Current 30A
Included in box:
  • One Punk 86W Mod
  • One Micro USB Cable
  • OneUser Manual
  • One Warranty Card
Picture Album
album

Initial Impressions and features
When I first got this Mod, I was pretty happy to see a stick style mod. Not a lot of regulated stick mods these days are being widely made and affordable. This is my 4th one in the past year along with the ehpro 101, joyetech ultex T80 and uwell nunchaku. The Punk though is more styled per se and less of a simple tube like the other which some may or may not like. Personally i always liked the steampunk designs on their mods and this one is no different. It looks great and i love that it’s offered in copper and brass which is 2 colors we don’t see on mods that often these days. One odd thing i felt since companies are pushing products for bigger batteries is why they made it 18650 only. I think they missed an opportunity to make it a single 2x700 mod instead. Overall though i liked the mod from the start

Watt Mode Performance (chart and spreadsheet in picture album)
Now let’s get into some data. I ran my normal testing. I used Sony VTC5A batteries for the testing. Testing resistances were done at .12, .15, .2, and .62 ohms. wattage points were max (86), 80, 60, 40, and 20. At .12 ohms it maxed out at 83 watts and 26 amps. For the rest of the testing it was on the low side slightly 2-3 watts, except at 20 where it was 1 high so all good there. At .15 it maxed out at 85 watts. Outside of that only off by 1-2 watts at worse. For the .2 test it maxed out at 89 watts. The rest of the tests it was on the mark though for all the testing which is dam good. For the .62 testing it maxed out at 87 watts and 7.363 volts. For the rest of the testing it was 3 high at 80, on point at 60, and 1 low under 60. The volts shows there is a boost circuit in this mod like all single battery mods should have.

Overall I felt the performance of this mod was really good. It barely struggled with the .12 ohm build which is common for most mods at that resistance to struggle a bit it was very accurate overall especially at .2 ohm. I was able to get 89 watts max, so I consider it to be accurately rated at 86 watts. The 7.363 volt limit shows there is a boost circuit as there should be and was capped off by the watt limit so i likely higher than that as well. Their manual lists an amp limit of 30 which i consider plausible and a volt limit of 8.5V which i also consider plausible. I was able to get the full wattage pretty much in all my resistances form .12 to .62 so the amp and volt limits are more than good enough. I’m glad they listed all 3. So overall good ratings, good specs, and good performance very similar to that of the 2 better stick mods i’ve tested in the ultex T80 and nunchaku.

Simplified TLDR Power Performance summary
Mod performance is good. Mostly hits few watts off sometimes low sometimes high. Accurately rated for watts (89), Yes boost circuit, amp limit of 26+. Volts tested at 7.363+ so good job and you basically get the full watt range at all the tested resistances like most single battery mods.

Bypass Mode Performance
I typically don’t test for bypass modes in mods as i consider them to be pretty useless, but since this mod doesn’t have TC mode, only bypass and watts i figured why not. The mod performs like you would expect from a good mech mod when in bypass mode. The numbers are on the chart in the album but at .2 ohms you get 60 watts, at .15 ohm 71 watts, and at .12 ohm 72 watts. It’s good if you want to use it to learn how to build for a mech heat flux wise, but outside of that like any bypass mode, you are better off using power mode instead.

Other Usage Notes
The mod uses a standard 5 click to turn the mod on or off. You use 3 clicks to swap between the 2 modes which is only power and bypass. Very basic and easy to use so no complaints there. The Tesla Punk 86W adjusts by .5 watt increments the entire watt range (7-86) and holding it makes it scroll really fast. I love that personally and overall well done there and fast and easy to adjust. The mod itself is built solid with no rattle at all, and has a nice weight to it where it’s not heavy but not too light. The Battery door is a screw off bottom and the threading is all nice so it’s easy to screw and unscrew to swap batteries out. It’s single 18650 only I wish they made it single 2x700 personally.

There paint on the mod is very nice as well. The Antique Brass one i have is really nice and has a matte like finish to it, and the punk design looks excellent to me. Very well done there. Some may love it some may hate it. All depends on your preference. The fire button is nice and clicky and works well and It never gets stuck or anything though which is as it should be and is really comfy to use but does have a little button rattle on it. The 510 pin gave me no issues and every atomizer i used on it worked great with no gaps. The mod handles a 25mm atomizer without overhang which is great. The screen is a small and basic old style black and white screen and while I would have liked something nicer personally, it’s pretty much the same as the one on the other 3 stick mods so can’t really complain as there isn’t a stick mod out with a better screen. Also for branding the mod itself is very minimal. Nothing on the outside at all just on the bottom a simple “designed by teslacigs” so well done there. They list a charging rate of 1A and i don’t recommend charging internally in your mods if it can be avoided but i did test it and confirmed it is 1A charging, but that is for info purposes only to test their claims.

Pros:
  • Power mode performance
  • Accurately rated for watts
  • good amp limit
  • batteries are easy to get in and out without damaging wraps
  • nice fire button
  • handles 25mm atomizers without overhang
  • easy to adjust wattage quickly
  • color options (4)
  • Easy to use Menu (simple 2 modes only bypass and wattage)
  • rare regulated stick mod
  • Beautiful Steampunk style design
  • price point (under 35 bucks)
Cons:
  • slight button rattle on fire button
Conclusion
So with all that said, do I recommend this mod or not? I don’t like to do a hard yes or no but this one leans pretty heavy towards the yes. Performance wise it’s right on par with the nunchaku and ultex T80 mods so gives another good option where you can pick the style you like best (simple nunchaku, futuristic ultex, steampunk tesla). Too bad it wasn’t a 2x700 mod or that cold have made it stand out even more. i’ll be adding it to my sheet of recs linked down below

This is Anthony Vapes just keeping it honest, hopefully you all can say the same and i’ll catch you on my next review.

Product Link
Teslacigs Punk 86W Mod

Product Disclaimer
This product was sent to me from vapesourcing

Review Disclaimer
Due to possible QC difference your experience may vary.

Reviewer Disclaimer
I’ve been doing vape reviews since late 2016 and have done around 300 reviews to date. I enjoy helping vapers on forums as well and helping contribute to the great vape community. I’m not an “out of the box” reviewer. I do my best to be thorough at all times and have enough experience with many products to tell what’s good and what’s not. All mods get tested with an oscilloscope and stress tested and results are posted in my reviews.

Recommendations and Past Review Links
written reviews list here

Spreadsheet of Recommendations here

Best of 2018 list here

Best of 2017 list here

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread