Anthony Vapes: Vandy Vape Berserker V2 MTL RDA Review

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anthony_Vapes

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 23, 2017
Hi All, Anthony Vapes back here with my review of the Vandy vape Berserker V2 MTL rda, please see the bottom for disclaimers and links. Note: This is marked as a sample version.

Introduction:
The Vandy Vape Berserker V2 MTL RDA is the latest RDA from popular vape manufacturer Vandy Vape. Vandy Vape started in 2017 and since then have become very popular and pumped out a ton of products. I’ve reviewed over 20 of their products over the past year or so personally and they are pretty hit and miss overall making some really good stuff and also some really bad stuff. It’s basically a coin flip at this point. In 2019 they have continued to be hit and miss so far releasing a really good rugged mod in the jackaroo,a good lightweight power mode mod in the swell, a good MTL RTA in the berserker V1.5 mini, and a good affordable mech tube in the bonza. However they had their missteps with the AP kit, pairing the bonza mech with an unsuitable RDA, and a bad tank with the jackaroo, and a bad trident kit due to the pairing and coils, and of course the really awful kylin m RTA that shouldn’t have existed. So let's see which side of the fence this falls on. The Berserker V2 RDA is a Single coil MTL RDA with an included squonk pin and was designed in collaboration with popular youtube reviewer alex from vapers MD. It’s available in 4 colors SS, Matte Black, Gunmetal, and Rainbow. Looking around online it’s on pre-order only and around 30 USD so standard price point

Manufacturer's Specs
  • Size: 24mm (L) x 22mm (D)
  • Capacity: 1.5mL
  • Weight: 145g
  • Multiple Size Airflow Options
  • Leak Proof Design
  • True & Accurate MTL Experience
  • Dual Shell Cap Design
  • Improved Temp Control & Isolation
  • Dome & Small Evaporation Chamber
  • Easy Coil Install & Wicking
  • 4 Colors: Gunmetal, Matte Black, Rainbow, SS
Included in box:
  • 1 BSKR V2 MTL RDA
  • 1 Accessory Bag
  • 1 User Manual
  • 2 Drip Tips
Picture Album
album

Build Deck and Wicking
Let’s talk about the build deck now. It’s a pretty basic deck that’s kind of outdated for the most part but still seen on a lot of MTL atomizers. It’s a basic 2 post deck with posts on the same sides and you use the screw heads to trap the leads. The screws are a good quality flat head screw and they include a spare set of Phillips as well. Installing coils is easy you just unscrew a little then slide the leads under the coil head and tighten it down. My only issue with this and why I feel it should be better is due to the position of the screws blocking your leads. It means if you don’t build either really small or really big (for the atty) that you have to be a little creative to position the coils correctly. They should have went with a clamp system or one where the screw itself traps the lead and not the head. With that said it works so I can’t complain too much but it’s not a great design for the type of RDA.

Wicking on it is quite easy. It’s an RDA so nothing fancy just drop your wick leads to the bottom where the wick cutouts are. It does have the large well similar to the Mjolnir RDA I designed so you can cut the leads long or short if you want. Either is fine. I found this to be very simple and works great. It’ll be interesting to see if anyone complains about “capillary action” on this since it’s not an issue here and wasn’t on the mjolnir but it’s the same design on the 2. It at least will show if reviewers have consistency and know what they are doing or making stuff up.

Performance
Performance wise, I used it as a single coil RDA only as intended by the design. I actually started with my normal clean the RDA and then I used the included superfine clapton coil. I got a funky metallic taste. I wasn’t sure if it was the coil or the RDA so i put in a simple SS316 round wire build and the taste was still there. So i cleaned the RDA again and put another build in it. Same result. So I ran it through the ultrasonic 5 more times to really get to clean and had to blow out all the liquid stuck in the airhole (I'll go over that design later) and put in a regular round build. The metallic taste was gone after that thankfully. It appears to be a lot of machine oil or metal shavings stuck inside the air chamber affecting the flavor until you really flush it all out. After that I used the super fine included clapton again as well as 2 other round wire builds. So 6 in total but only 4 where I can judge the flavor. I found the ID to be best around 2-2.5mm but there is plenty of room for more it just won’t line up great with the airflow. I also used all the inserts as well with each build. Overall it’s a pretty poor performer flavorwise and well behind better ones like the galaxies or 1928 RDAs.

Airflow, Misc. Details, and Extras
Let’s talk about the airflow now. This RDA is side airflow one 1 side that gets redirected inside the double chamber to a bottom airflow area to provide bottom airflow. I see a lot of design features inspired by my mjolnir design but in this case instead of a 2 sided straight shot to bottom air, it’s 1 sided that wraps around and opens up on the other side to a bottom airflow. It’s non adjustable via turning the top cap or anything but you can adjust it with the included inserts which are 1mm, 1.4mm, 1.6mm, and 2mm or no insert. Kind of like the digiflavor etna except you don’t need to remove the build to do it, you just would have to carry around inserts on the go. Not a fan of that, MTL RDAs should have plenty of adjustable air options without the need of extra inserts. On top of that the insert winds up being in the middle of the airflow channel so the intake and outtake remains unchanged anyway. It’s good for a solid MTL vape to loose MTL vape but never a tight one and not a major difference airflow wise with the insert. Overall they took a good theory that worked on one RDA but made too many changes to it negatively to work well. The top cap is quite nice and thick though and dissipates heat really well and doesn't get too hot while chain vaping which is common in all MTL RDAs anyway since they are low watt and don’t produce a lot of heat. The top cap is easy to pop on and off and the o-rings are nice. It’s not too tight or too loose by any means. To put the cap on you do need to line up the 1 notch which can be finicky but not hard. Since the top cap locks into place it’s easy to screw on and off yoru mod.

It comes with 3 drip tips which is nice. All 3 are 510 obviously as 810 is too big for MTL RDAs. one is a medium height metal one that has a screw out ultem tip that you can replace with the included delrin one. One is medium height black delrin one, and the 3rd is a shorter metal base with a tall black delrin top making it the tallest of the 3 and you can’t put the short tips in it either. So your choices range from medium to tall. I would have personally liked to see a shorter one and maybe a resin tip too. The Drip tip fits very well in the RDA. snug, not loose, not tight. You can use your own as well and most should work just fine. The quality on the Vandy Vape Berserker V3 MTL RDA is good as you would expect from VV. The paint job shows no signs of damage or chipping on my SS one, The o-rings all fit good, and the post screws are nice and they include a spare set of Phillips head ones if you don’t like the preinstalled flat head ones so nice to have both options. It comes with a standard 510 pin and a BF 510 pin like most RDAs these days as well.

The juice well is a nice size actually. The well is pretty deep. They list it at 1.5ml which is a pretty large size for a MTL RDA. It’s very similar to the Mjolnir RDA I designed in that regard which has a 1.8ml well. I used it as a squonker and a dripper. As a squonker it squonks out into the well and not over the coil directly. You do need to be careful with the squonking though. Since it’s bottom air and has no drain which they didn’t use the drain system form the mjolnir, oversquonked juice will sit in the air well and be pulled up and bubble while you vape. It really needed a drain. Same issue with it as a dripper. All you’ll do is get juice stuck in the airwell and worse off you can get juice stuck in the air chamber between the double sided chamber that way. Pretty big oversight there making it bad as a dripper and just ok a a squonker if you are careful.

It’s a 22mm diameter so should not overhang on most mods on the market today. There is plenty of spare o-rings and 2 spare post screws, 1 allen wrench, 1, screw driver, 3 510 drip tips, 4 air inserts, and 2 coils. No cotton though. Good amount of accessories for sure and typical of vandy vape. The coils are clearly labeled as well so good job there, they are dual core fused claptons 30gx2+38g 6 wraps 2.5mm ID ni80 wire at .78 ohms. Branding is very well done. They took another page from the mjolnir there in that there is no visible branding. It’s all on the bottom of the RDA only. Looks wise it looks very clean and reminds me of a cross between an ammit MTL RDA and the old school omega rda from loki labs. It’s a very nice looking simple RDA.

Pros:
  • standard positive and squonk pin included
  • plenty of spare o-rings
  • Color Options (4)
  • Good over squonk protection
  • good build quality
  • Price point (around 30 USD)
  • Good simple branding
  • dissipates heat really well
  • top cap is easy to pop on and off
  • easy to screw on and off mod
  • 3 drips tip included (all 510)
  • good quality post screws (and a spare set)
  • Includes 2 coils and clearly labeled.
Cons:
  • Flavor is worse then many MTL RDAs on the market currently
  • airflow is non adjustable on the fly and works off inserts and lacks options
  • does not work well as a dripper, only as a squonker
  • Oversquonking leads to flooding due to lack of drain
  • airflow chamber can get juice stuck inside easily and is hard to clean
  • came really dirty in airflow chamber
  • build deck could be better
Conclusion
So with all that said, do I recommend this RDA?I don’t like to do a hard yes or no, but this one has to lean a little towards the no for me. I can tell it was inspired by attys like the mjolnir and even the 1928 RDAs but all the changes they made to those designs were negative and resulted in worse performance as they took out reasons why they worked and what we are left with is a pretty subpar atomizer designwise with a good size well. It’s also a big step back from their original berserker MTL RDA. It feels like more of a V.1 then a V2. I won’t be adding this to my sheet of recs linked down below. Check out that spreadsheet when considering a purchase as I keep it up to date with all the latest and greatest stuff on the market.

This is Anthony Vapes just keeping it honest, hopefully you all can say the same and I'll catch you on my next review.

Product Disclaimer
This product was sent to me from Vandy Vape

Official Site Link
I'm a link

Review Disclaimer
Due to possible QC difference your experience may vary.

Reviewer Disclaimer
I’ve been doing vape reviews since late 2016 and have done over 400 reviews to date. I enjoy helping vapers on forums as well and helping contribute to the great vape community. I’m not an “out of the box” reviewer. I do my best to be thorough at all times and have enough experience with many products to tell what’s good and what’s not. All mods get tested with an oscilloscope and stress tested and results are posted in my reviews.

Recommendations and Past Review Links
written reviews list here

Youtube Channel here

Spreadsheet of Recommendations here

Best of 2019 so far list here

Best of 2018 list here

Best of 2017 list here

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread