Anthony Vapes: Vaptio Super Cape Mod Tech Review

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anthony_Vapes

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 23, 2017
Hi All, Anthony Vapes back here with my review of the Vaptio Super Cape mod. Please see bottom for disclaimers and links. Note: This is not marked as a sample.

Introduction:
The Vaptio Super Cape Kit is the latest kit from little known vape manufacturer Vaptio. They are actually a much larger company then I would have imagined but really have no traction in the community as far as products goes. They’ve made a ton of stuff and i’ve reviewed a handful of it and they are kind of up and down. They have made some really nice things and some not so great things. The one that stands out for me is probably the wall crawler as a better pico mod and recently last week the vex 100 which was a pretty good niche mod. The Super Cape is a dual 18650 battery mod rated at 220 watts. It’s available in 3 colors Black, Red and Yellow, and Red and Blue. It comes in a kit with the paragon tank only not sold seperate, but i won’t be touching on the tank today. Looking around online i see the kit for 105 USD on their official site and outside of that only on 1 site listed at 66 USD but out of stock.

Manufacturer's Specs:
  • Size: 142.7 x 52 x 34.5mm
  • Output Wattage: 1-220W
  • Battery: 2 * 18650 batteries(not include)
  • Tank Capacity: 8.0 ml
  • Screen Size: 1.3” Color TFT, 240X240 ppi
  • Feature: 0.005s Firing Time
  • Fill type: Top Fill
  • Output Mode: VW/ TC/ Smart/ CCW/ CCT/ Bypass
  • Coil: 0.15Ω Strip / 0.2Ω Mesh
  • Resistance Range: 0.1Ω-5.0Ω
  • Charging Current: DC 5V/2A
  • Warranty: 90 days Global Return
  • Thread Drip Tip: 810
Included in box:
  • 1 X SUPER CAPE Mod(no cells)
  • 1 X Paragon Tank
  • 1 X Paragon Coil (Mesh, 0.2Ω)
  • 1 X Paragon Coil (Strip, 0.15Ω)
  • 1 X USB Cable
  • 1 X User Manual
  • 1 X Spare Part
Picture Album
album

Initial Impressions and features
When I first got to see this mod it was actually like 8 months ago at ECC. And i thought it was a cool looking mod. There is a big button in the middle which i thought was fire so i clicked it and it ejected the battery tray. It has a “smok mag” like battery tray that ejects out but without looking like a gun and i really liked that. It’s a simple symmetrical design with a front facing screen and a fire bar. There are also some LEDs on the back which some may like and some won’t. It’s called the “super cape” so i assume it’s an homage to superman since their history of the wall crawler (spider man) and the super bat (batman) and the captain (captain america) they are really going all in on the superhero themes. This one though it’s over the top designed to look like a superhero mod. Without the name i wouldn’t have thought superman at all. Overall i really liked the design of the mod from the start.

Watt Mode Performance (chart and spreadsheet in picture album)
Now let’s get into some data. I ran my normal testing. I used Sony VTC5A batteries for the testing. Testing resistances were done at .12, .15, .2, and .62 ohms. wattage points were max (220), 200, 150, 100, 75, 50 and 25. At .12 ohms it maxed out at 170 watts and 38 amps. For the rest of the testing it performed pretty well and didn’t struggle like a lot of mods. At 100+ it was 2-6 watts low and under 100 1-3 watts low, so good job there. At .15 it maxed out at 207 watts. The rest of the testing here again very good, at over 100 watts it was 8 low to 6 high and 100 or less on point to 2 watts high so good performance there. For the .2 test it maxed out at 180 watts. For the rest of the tests again good but a little high, at 100 or more watts 7-11 watts high, under 100 watts 2-5 high. For the .62 testing it maxed out at 85 watts and 7.258 volts. For the rest of the testing it was a little high 4-9 watts. The volts shows there is no boost circuit in this mod like most dual battery mods which isn’t a big deal as it’s not needed, but nice when they have one.

Overall I felt the performance of this mod was pretty good. It didn’t struggle with the .12 ohm build like many mods i’ve tested. But at .15 or more it does hit a little high but mostly within a couple of watts. I’d suggest starting about 5 watts lower than normal. I was able to get 207 watts max, so I consider it to be accurately rated at 220 watts. The 7.258 volt limit shows there is no boost circuit but not needed here. Their manual does not list a voltage limit or amp limit and I wish they would list all 3 personally. On this mod and the most amps i got was 38 with a .12 ohm coil which is average for a dual 18650 mod. The most volts i got is 7.258 which is again pretty average for a non boost dual battery mod. Personally If i was listing the specs I’d call the mod 210 watts, 7.5V and 38A. So overall good performer and close enough ratings. Also worth noting is there is a small hard preheat on this mod in power mode (no adjustable preheats) and it has the “fires fast” where when clicking into the menu you’ll get a coil sizzle right away. It also has a watt curve mode that works well.

Simplified TLDR Power Performance summary
Mod performance is pretty good overall. Accurately rated for watts (207), No boost circuit but not required, good amp limit of 38. Pretty accurate but hits slightly high mostly. Fires really fast (coil sizzle when entering menu), hard preheat in power mode, also has a good watt curve mode.

Temperature Control Performance
Using SS316 wire and SS mode and TCR mode (although each mode is fully adjustable so TCR isn’t really needed), I tested 6 builds. 1 simple round single coil, 1 simple round dual Coil, 2 large fancy single coil, and 2 large fancy dual coil. Before i can talk about performance i have to explain a little how it works as it doesn’t follow the normal TCR values. 1st off the TCR of each mode is adjustable as well as 3 TCR modes and power is adjustable as well up to the full amount. Both adjustments made in the menu systems. TCR works off a percent. The default values though are pretty close to the normal TCR system. SS default is .98% where TCR is generally 88-105 depending on the grade. Ni200 is 5.40% and the TCR is normally around 620 and Ti is 3.40% and normally around 350 so pretty close to the TCR values. So since they are close it does give a good idea. SO i tried the default but it was weak and anemic with little output. I raised the TCR all the way to 1.50% and still weak and anemic. It has good dry hit protection but outside of that a poor vape. Not a mod i’d recommend for TC.

Other Usage Notes
The mod uses a standard 5 click of the fire button to turn on and off. The menu system is really good and and well laid out and the same from their older mods. You click fire 3 times to enter the menu. It also has a true menu system which is easy to navigate. The menu has 4 options Mode, Setting, Theme, and Back. Theme has 2 options for themes which is red or blue. In Settings you have system settings (Product info and factory reset), Mode settings (program TC TCR values and power) CCW (watt curve settings) and CCT (temp curve settings), Vape time (5-10 seconds), Sleep time (screen timeout, LED timeout, turn off timeout), Puff manager, LED settings (6 colors and 5 modes or off), Language, and Display (stealth mode). In mode you have Smart Mode, Power (VW), TC for SS, Ni200, ni80, and Ti and 3 TCR memory modes as well as CCT (temp curve) and Bypass mode. When you turn the device on or switch batteries it’ll ask if new coil and same if you change out tanks/coils on it. Overall really good menu system.

The Vaptio Super Cape adjusts by 1 watt increments, if you hold the button it adjusts by 10 watts and scrolls really fast and also round robins. Very quickly and easily to adjust wattage so well done there. The mod itself is built solid with no rattle at all, and has a nice weight to it where it’s not heavy but not light. Feels really good in the hand. The Battery door is a drop out like the smok mag. You click in the big button on the front above the adjustments buttons and it’ll release the battery tray. It works really well and i like it and it’s each to swap batteries and won’t damage wraps. My only complaint is the mod won’t really stand up without the battery tray in so you have to lay it down flat when swapping batteries. Not a big deal but worth a mention.

The paint on the mod is very nice. There are 3 colors which is black, red/blue, and red yellow. I have the red/blue so i’ll be speaking on that one. The black though for the fire bar and other side has a graphic panel instead of the carbon fibre look on the other 2 colors. I think based on pics it would have looked better with the carbon fibre instead. Anyway the Red/blue has a very nice fade with blue on the bottom and red on the top (the iconic superman colors lol) and has a nice shiny finish that isn’t a fingerprint magnet and appears to have a nice clear coat on it. It shows no signs of wearing or chipping either. The firebar and matching panel are a plastic like material and painted to look like carbon fibre and look great. The LEDs on the back look nice as well.

The fire button is nice large and clicky fire bar. It works well and It never gets stuck or anything though which is as it should be and is really comfy to use and quite large. You can just squeeze the mod to fire, I do really like fire bars and not sure why they aren’t as popular as they used to be. The 510 pin is great and gave me no issues with any atomizer. The mod handles a 28mm atomizer flush with the raised atomizer platform. No complaints there but would have been nice for a flat top to handle a 30mm. The screen is a nice 1.3” color screen square shaped that looks great. It’s bright and easy to see. Also for branding the mod itself there is super cape painted on the panel opposite the fire bar and a small vaptio with logo on the back by the LEDs. Nicely branded overall. They list a charging rate of 2A but i don’t recommend charging internally in your mods like these so I don’t test charge rates of devices like this due to that.

Pros:
  • Power mode performance is good
  • Accurately rated for watts (207)
  • good amp limit (38)
  • batteries are easy to get in and out without damaging wraps
  • color options (3)
  • Easy to use Menu
  • large size color screen
  • excellent fire bar
  • Nice build quality
  • nice paint job
  • watt curve mode
  • LED customization options
  • good 510 pin
  • handles 28mm attys flush with raised platform
  • power adjustments are fast and easy
Cons:
  • TC performance is horrible
Conclusion
So with all that said, do I recommend this mod or not? I don’t like to do a hard yes or no and this one i’m going to easily say no for TC mode however for power mode i’m going to lean towards the yes. It’s a solid, well built, good performer with a nice design. My only caveat to that is they need to get it on sites where it can be found at a reasonable price. We all know manufacturers sites prices are very high and i wouldn’t drop 100 bucks on it, but it is new and barely available so if they can start getting it in stock around the price of your typical vaporesso, innokin, geekvape, smoant, smok, etc mods then it makes for a good option for power mode users. I will be adding the mod to my spreadsheet of recs linked down below.

This is Anthony Vapes just keeping it honest, hopefully you all can say the same and i’ll catch you on my next review.

Product Disclaimer
This product was sent to me from Vaptio

Review Disclaimer
Due to possible QC difference your experience may vary.

Reviewer Disclaimer
I’ve been doing vape reviews since late 2016 and have done around 300 reviews to date. I enjoy helping vapers on forums as well and helping contribute to the great vape community. I’m not an “out of the box” reviewer. I do my best to be thorough at all times and have enough experience with many products to tell what’s good and what’s not. All mods get tested with an oscilloscope and stress tested and results are posted in my reviews.

Recommendations and Past Review Links
written reviews list here

Youtube Channel here

Spreadsheet of Recommendations here

Best of 2018 list here

Best of 2017 list here

Reactions: hairtrigga
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread