Anthony Vapes: Vaptio Vex 100 Mod Tech Review

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anthony_Vapes

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 23, 2017
Hi All, Anthony Vapes back here with my review of the Vaptio Vex 100 mod. Please see bottom for disclaimers and links. Note: This is not marked as a sample.

Introduction:
The Vaptio Vex 100 kit is the latest kit from little known vape manufacturer Vaptio. They are actually a much larger company then I would have imagined but really have no traction in the community as far as products goes. They’ve made a ton of stuff and i’ve reviewed a handful of it and they are kind of up and down. They have made some really nice things and some not so great things. The one that stands out for me is probably the wall crawler as a better pico mod but i haven’t reviewed much of their stuff recently until this and later this month the super cape mod is coming. The Vex 100 kit is a kit is a kit that includes a single 2x700 battery Vex 100 mod rated at 100 watts and includes the Paragon tank which is rated at 60-90 watts with mesh coils as well but i won’t be touching on the tank. It’s available in 4 colors Black, Blue, Purple, and Red. It sells for 69.99 on their official store for the kit and 45.00 for the mod only, however looking around online i see the mod as low as 23 USD but mostly around 30ish and the kit for 45.00

Manufacturer's Specs:
  • Brand Name: VAPTIO
  • Mod Type: VEX 100 Mod
  • Mod Size: 34.531.588.7 mm
  • Battery: External 1*21700/20700/18650
  • Output Wattage: 7-100W
  • Input Voltage: 2.8-4.2V
  • Charging Current: DC 5V/1A
  • Thread: 510 Thread
  • Protection: Over Vaping Protection; Short-Circuit Protection;Low-Voltage Protection;Over-Heat Protection
  • Colors: Blue/Black/Purple/Red
  • Warranty: 90 days Global Return
  • 0.002s firing brings the most rapid, even heating, and the purest flavor from the first puff to the last!
  • Leakproof electrode fixed collar
  • Only Super Player Mode for daily use, without other functions (eg. Tc/bypass mode)
  • Innovative lights display
Included in box:
  • 1 x VEX 100 Mod
  • 1 x 18650 Battery Adapter
  • 1 x USB Cable
  • 2 x User Manual
Picture Album
album

Initial Impressions and features
When I first got this mod I was pretty impressed by it. Wasn’t sure what to expect as i hadn’t seen it before or even heard of it. It just showed up. It’s a really small single 2x700 mod and reminded me a bit of a armour pro which is a mod i love, but without any features or modes. This is as simple as a mod can get and I think there is a niche market for something so simple. I also really liked the display which reminded me a bit of the eleaf Nowos mod display or an old style alarm clock display. Overall i did like the size and simplicity of this mod to start.

Watt Mode Performance (chart and spreadsheet in picture album)
Now let’s get into some data. I ran my normal testing. I used Samsung 30T batteries for the testing. Testing resistances were done at .12, .14, .19, and .61 ohms. wattage points were max (100), 80, 60,40, and 20. Off the bat though, at max wattage the mod doesn't perform well, not good enough for me to get any limits from it as it pules a lot and was inconsistent. On subsequent firings it would eventually start working well but just like the 80 setting. It should have been capped off at 80 watts as it doesn't really do 100 consistently so my results here will be for 80 or less and i’ll ding it for not being able to really do 100 watts consistently and smoothly. At .12 ohms it maxed out at 72 watts and 25 amps. For the rest of the testing it it was quite good only being 2 watts off at worst. At .14 ohms it maxed out at 81 watts and 24 amps. For the rest of the testing it it was always high by 6 watts. At .19 it maxed out at 80 watts. The rest of the testing once again a bit high 3-11 watts. For the .61 testing it maxed out at 86 watts and 7.258 volts. For the rest of the testing it was good high 5-14 watts. The volts shows there is a boost circuit as there should be with single battery mods. I’ve only come across 2 that don’t have them the ijoy capo squonk and the geekvape lucid and both were fails for me due to that

Overall I felt the performance of this mod was really just decent. It’s not good at 100 watts at all so really an 80 or less watt mod. It doesn't bother me too much as vaping a single cell mod at 100 watts means really poor battery life. Most will be used at 60 watts or less. Still I would have preferred them just capping it to 80 and will ding them for that. At 80 or less though it mostly performs well but does hit a bit high so i’d recommend starting your watts about 10-15 watts lower than normal. There aren’t any mods like this out now so it’s hard to instantly trash it as a niche product as it doesn't pass my testing personally however in normal usage for many it will be more than acceptable. The amp and volt limits shouldn’t be an issue for anyone. Their manual does not list a voltage limit or amp limit and I wish they would list all 3 personally.

Simplified TLDR Power Performance summary
Mod performance is just decent. Hits a bit high but mostly works ok at 80 or less. Does Not work well at 100 and not really a 100 watt mod. Amp limits and Volt Limits are good.

Other Usage Notes
The mod uses a standard 5 click of the fire button to turn on and off. Outside of that there is nothing to this mod. There are no menu and no other modes. It’s a power mode only mod and the display only shows your wattage. You can check your battery level by clicking fire 2-4 times (2, 3, and 4 all work) which shows as 5 bars each bar representing 20%. So if only 3 bars show for example you are around 41-60%. The Vex 100 adjusts by 1 watt increments and If you hold the adjustment button it does adjust pretty fast so well done there. The mod itself is built solid with no rattle at all, and very lightweight. The Battery door is a recessed latch style door. You slide back the latch to open and to close it you just push it shut and the latch locks into place. The battery goes in positive side down. I didn’t use any 18650 batteries but i did use a few 21700 and 20700 and they all fit just fine but as usual the avatar controls batteries are a tight squeeze as they are a little larger. My samsung (30T), Ijoy (20700 and 21700 ones) , and Vapecell (gold 20700) batteries all fit good though. The paint is pretty nice as well with no signs of wearing. I have the black one and it’s a non shiny matte black finish

The fire button is a large and clicky fire button that is a vertical oval. It works well and It never gets stuck or anything though which is as it should be and is really comfy to use and quite large. The 510 is good and gave me no issues. The mod handles a 25mm atomizer flush on the back end which is more than good enough. A centered 510 pin would have been nice though. The screen is a good size black and white old alarm clock style display. I like it for its uniqueness and it’s easy to see anywhere except direct sunlight it can be a little hard like most mods. My only complaint about the display is that it doesn't show resistance. I think that is an important thing that shouldn’t have been left off. Also for branding the mod itself there is a small “Vaptio” on the bottom of one side. Very simple and nice so no complaints there. They list a charging rate of 2A, I didn’t do any testing for that and i don’t recommend charging internally in your mods anyway.

Pros:
  • batteries are easy to get in and out without damaging wraps
  • color options (4)
  • nice fire button
  • small portable size
  • nice paint job
  • simple easy to use power mode only mod
  • ok power mode performance at 80 watts or less
  • good volt limit
  • good amp limit
  • good build quality
  • handles 25mm atomizers without overhang
  • nice unique display
Cons:
  • no way to lock adjustment buttons
  • not really a 100 watt mod
  • no resistance reading
Conclusion
So with all that said, do I recommend this mod or not? I don’t like to do a hard yes or no, and this one is interesting as there isn’t anything else quite like it on the market. As in a single 2x700 mod with power mode only and pretty much 0 learning curve. So i’m going to lean slightly towards the yes. It has its flaws which is why you should read reviews first before buying and had this been a dual 18650 mod i would have failed it on performance with so many good options. But as it stands now it’s a unique product for a small cheap portable single 2x700 mod that’s easy to use and power mode only so I think that gives it some merit as there is a market for that, that is untapped. I’ll be adding the mod to my spreadsheet of recs linked down below

This is Anthony Vapes just keeping it honest, hopefully you all can say the same and i’ll catch you on my next review.

Product Disclaimer
This product was sent to me from Vaptio

Review Disclaimer
Due to possible QC difference your experience may vary.

Reviewer Disclaimer
I’ve been doing vape reviews since late 2016 and have done around 300 reviews to date. I enjoy helping vapers on forums as well and helping contribute to the great vape community. I’m not an “out of the box” reviewer. I do my best to be thorough at all times and have enough experience with many products to tell what’s good and what’s not. All mods get tested with an oscilloscope and stress tested and results are posted in my reviews.

Recommendations and Past Review Links
written reviews list here

Spreadsheet of Recommendations here

Best of 2018 list here

Best of 2017 list here

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread