Anthony Vapes: Wismec Luxotic BF Kit Tech Review

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anthony_Vapes

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 23, 2017
Hi All, Anthony Vapes back here with my review of the Wismec Luxotic Kit with Tobhino rda.

Product Disclaimer
This product was sent to me from wismec

Review Disclaimer
I review products for what they are with no account of where it comes from or who makes it. The test results are the results for what is in my hand. Due to possible QC difference your experience may vary. There is no way for myself or anyone to predict if a device will last 6 months, 1 year, 5 years etc. Any manufactured item from cars to phones to computers to mods have a possibility of arriving DOA or having a small percent failure rate. There is no way to predict this or quantify this. That’s why warranties and lemon laws exist. I can only review what I have in my hand for better or for worse. Contrary to popular belief, there is no special review samples of higher quality. Most of the time personally i get retail versions, the few times i’ve gotten early releases they are usually worse than the final retail version.

Reviewer Disclaimer
I decided to add this disclaimer in as i feel it’s important for people to know their source of the review. I’ve been vaping since late 2011. I’ve vaped all the styles from MTL to RLH to DTL. tanks, RTAs, RDAs, you name it. I do prefer the DTL and RLH style over MTL personally. My main focus from an atomizer is flavor. For mods i’ve used mechs and regulated mods. I’m an avid temp control vaper but enjoy power mode as well and the occasion mech useage for nostalgia. I’ve been doing reviews since late 2016. As of Jan 2018 I’ve done over 100 written reviews and done over 150 video reviews on my channel, Although i’ve taken a break from videos in the past few months to focus on written reviews.

I spend a lot of time helping vapers on forums as well and try to answer all the questions and comments on my reviews. I’m not an “out of the box” reviewer. I do my best to be thorough at all times. All mods get tested with an oscilloscope and stress tested. At times if needed i’ll disassemble them as well. Rebuildables get multiple builds in them. Tanks i use all coils until the die or a minimum of 2 weeks if they don’t die sooner. I do this for the community to help people find good products and avoid bad ones. In my opinion a reviewer works for the community and nobody else. It’s our job to inform vapers of issues and not be advertisers as well as provide constructive criticism from a place of knowledge back to companies with these reviews so they can improve and make better products in the future.

Recommendations and Past Review Links
written reviews list here

Youtube Channel here

Spreadhseet of Recommendations here

Best of 2017 list here

Introduction:
The Wismec Luxotic kit is wismecs first attempt to enter the sqounk market. It’s a single 18650 BF mod and the kit is paired with the Tobhino RDA. It’s an unregulated/protected mod (see below for more info on that) The Tobhino RDA is a 22mm single coil RDA. Much like the pulse mod it comes in 1 body color (silver) and then 3 door colors Green, honeycomb, and resin.

Manufacturer's Specs: Mod
  • Size: 43.2 by 25.1 by 76.7mm
  • Thread type: 510 spring loaded connector
  • Cell type: high-rate 18650 cell (not included)
  • Max output wattage: 100W
Manufacturer's Specs: RDA
  • Height: 28.7mm
  • Diameter: 22mm
  • Decorative ring (5.4mm Tall, 25mm Diameter)
Included in box:
  • LUXOTIC BF BOX
  • Tobhino BF RDA
  • E-liquid Bottle
  • Clapton Coil (2)
  • Cotton
  • 810 Top Cap
  • User Manual
  • Warning Card
  • Spare Parts
Pictures and test results
Stock Shot Colors:
LUXOTIC-BF-BOX_14.jpg

Spreadsheet:

cMGZMcl.png

Size comparisons

9PxZY2S.jpg

xVJUbO8.jpg

puklY7x.jpg

1eAbdea.jpg

Handchecks:

pHuFxi4.jpg

Battery Tray and Bottle

o26WLzZ.jpg

Bottle door

Zy3AhQj.jpg

Initial Impressions and features
When I first got this Mod, I really liked the size and feel of it. It’s a small mod but it has a little weight to it. Much welcome addition for me personally from the 3d printed mech sqounks. It’s a solid metal box. The Tobhino RDA looked like it could be good for use on a single battery mech but we’ll talk more about that later. The included beauty ring was a nice touch as well. It really makes 22mm atomizers look great on it. I think it comes in the kit and with the RDA only and not the mod itself but can't get 100% confirmation on that. The mod can handle a 25mm atomizer with no overhang. I also really like the look and feel of the battery door as well. It’s translucent and fit into place nicely.

Performance
It’s a basic mod with no adjustments. I did a small round of testing as seen above. Power output will depend on your build.. With a .12 build I was able to get 78 watts. They list it at 100. Feels possibly theoretical. Not saying it can't do it but really not wanting to push batteries that far anyway. I’d say use it like you would a mech and it’ll perform like a good one. I have no complaints on performance at all it worked very well. I used it mostly with a .16 build (SS stapled fused clapton on a wasp nano) and VTC5a batteries.

Classifying the Mod
While i’m sure not everyone reads every word in a review, if there was 1 thing to read it’s this section. I wanted to talk about terms and how to classify certain things. In vaping there are terms we use that are generally accepted as true ways to describe things, but not technically correct always. Personally I’d like to see us as a community use universal terms that make sense in the context as they are already defined. I’ve been guilty myself of using generally understood as true for vaping but not technically correct terms in the past but after speaking with one of my subs who made an excellent point, I decided I’d no longer do that and stick to correct technical terms and hope others follow suit because contrary to popular belief I do listen to feedback and will change my mind if a solid points are made. It’s important we all keep an open mind and are willing to learn from each other and use correct terms if we want vaping to a legit industry. Especially with all the regulations being handed down.

Now generally accepted as true mods were classified 2 ways. Regulated for mods that didn’t draw directly from the batteries and had protections (most use a DC-DC converter to buck/boost voltage) or Unregulated for mods that draw directly from batteries like Mechs and Mosfet boxes. This is not technically correct though. Regulated has a finite definition and in short means adjustable. Any mod that’s adjustable is a regulated mod by definition Unregulated means in short non adjustable. So mods needs 2 classifications. That is the 1st part. The 2nd part would be IMO best described as Protected/unprotected. Which meaning is self explanatory. So a mod can be regulated/unprotected like a PWM mod we see customs of all the time. It’ll fire anything you throw at it safe or not. But it’s still regulated by definition. I’d classify a PWM mod as regulated/unprotected. Most mods we see mass produced fall under the regulated/protected but for example the dpro 133 mod I Reviewed is by definition unregulated but protected or another example popular here the pico squeeze.

So with all that in mind the Luxotic is a unregulated/protected mod. It lacks any adjustments but has a chip and protectections. Sadly for some odd reason wismec doesn't list any of the protections. I can say firing with a shorted build or no atty, the mod won’t fire and the LED will blink. So there are some protections built in for sure.

Other Usage Notes
The mod uses a 5 click on and off. It’s nice to have an easy way to turn it off for sure. There is a somewhat hidden LED light that is white that you can see behind the fire button Turning it on or off will blink 5 times. The light stays on when firing so it’s easy to tell if it’s on or off and stays on for a few extra seconds after you finish firing. If you have no atty or a shorted build the mod won’t fire and the light will blink. The battery tray is very nice and shouldn’t damage wraps and is easy to get batteries in and out. The mod is solid with no button rattle or play in the battery door. I used this mod pretty much only with the wasp nano (i’ll explain below about the tobhino) and the 510 gave me no issues and I don’t foresee any issues with it long term.

The bottle it comes with isn’t very good. It’s a tinted hard plastic bottle similar to that of the gbox and kanger drip box. Wouldn’t surprise be if it’s the same bottle. It also uses the metal plunger method. I’m sure someone will figure out how to put a silicon bottle in instead. Probably just clipping the top off and putting it in a silicon bottle like i seen before. It’s also very dark and hard to see your juice level. I would have liked to see a nicer bottle personally. Removing it is easy though, there is a magnetic bottom plate you remove to slide the bottle out from the bottom. It does have a nice 7.5ml capacity though.

As far as looks go all the mods have a silver frame. Maybe in the future they will offer more colors? That would be nice. Branding is pretty heavy on it The back has a giant “wismec” engraved across it. The top next to your atomizer has a “jaybo” logo. I would have preferred personally had they been more discreet and left it on the bottom

Tobhino RDA
The Tobhino RDA is going to be an easy one for me. Mine was 100% unusable! Flat out couldn’t be used. I made a quick 15 second clip here

showing that. The positive post is loose and doesn't make a good connection causing bouncing ohms. You can clearly see the wiggle of the post and ohms fluctuate in that video. So in the end it comes down to the I can only review what’s in my hand. And this was again unusable!

Now a little while back i created a place for reviewers here on reddit to discuss things since we are all reviewing similar stuff and we could help each other and work together to make sure we provide good info for the community. Up to this point I didn’t see anyone say anything about this in any review so i felt like i hit the “lottery” and just got a bum one. So i made a post about it and initially all the reviewers said they didn’t have any issues. I asked if any were willing to go back and double check it. Thankfully after the initial post, some reviewers did take the time to do this and report back. 1 reviewer confirmed his has the same issue. 2 others confirmed the post wiggle as well but neither had a meter to check bouncing ohms. There were still a couple others who were going to double check but haven’t posted back but at least this did confirm mine wasn’t an isolated issue. So in that sense all i can really say is the RDA is unusable.

Pros:
  • Works as expected
  • 7.5ml capacity
  • Color Options
  • Build Quality / no button rattle
  • color options on battery doors
  • Protections!
  • easy to remove bottle system
  • Ultem Beauty Ring
Cons:
  • Bottle is stiff plastic and too tinted
  • Included RDA is a bust
  • too heavy on the branding
Conclusion
So with all that said, do I recommend this kit or not? For the mod it’s going to lean pretty heavy towards the yes. I’d rather see people buy this then buy a mech squonker personally as their first sqounk mod. If you don’t mind the heavy branding it’s just a solid little mod that works like a mech but protects you and can be turned completely off. The RDA obviously gets a hard no. If your in the market for a single battery cheap sqounk mod this is a great choice, just pair it with a different RDA. The mod will be added to my spreadsheet.

This is Anthony Vapes just keeping it honest, hopefully you all can say the same and i’ll catch you on my next review.

• Informative
Reactions: pmadden
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread