Anti-Depressants and Vaping...What have you experienced?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jespeak

ECF Veteran
Jul 30, 2012
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
I am sending out a question about anti-depressants and vaping? I am on anti-depressants and have just reached the 5 week mark of being tobacco free. I would truly like to hear from those who are also similar to me, and what has been their experience with switching from smoking tobacco to vaping juices.

Cheers and Happy vaping!:thumbs:

jespeak

ECF Veteran
Jul 30, 2012
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Thanks for replying so quickly!

I have been on antidepressants for the past 3 years( I was diagnosed having clinical depression). When I chose to eliminate tobacco for vaping I was quite pleased with my choice. It has been a difficult time with the withdrawal, and I believe my chemicals are really out of whack- I have been extremely tired and have a very difficult time focusing on any one task.
I am seeing my doctor to determine a plan of action - maybe upping my meds until this withdrawal settles down.

I was also curious to see what others may have experienced and what their stories were. It is something I have faced and was wondering if there was anyone else with a similar story.

Cheers and Happy Vaping!:thumbs:

njay23

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 14, 2012
West Deptford, NJ
I'm not sure what you're getting at here... are you asking if someone is less depressed after quitting cigarettes? If it somehow had an effect on the anti depression medication? I don't see how being on anti depressive meds relates to vaping, or not smoking. I feel much better now that I don't smoke both physically and mentally but I think feeling better mentally is temporary. Any underlying depression can dissipate temporarily when something good happens. I don't think this is any reason to stop taking the meds or to think that was somehow the cause of the depression. Sorry if I'm way off base here...

TBinAZ

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 6, 2012
Mesa
Sending a PM your way.

Thanks for replying so quickly!

I have been on antidepressants for the past 3 years( I was diagnosed having clinical depression). When I chose to eliminate tobacco for vaping I was quite pleased with my choice. It has been a difficult time with the withdrawal, and I believe my chemicals are really out of whack- I have been extremely tired and have a very difficult time focusing on any one task.
I am seeing my doctor to determine a plan of action - maybe upping my meds until this withdrawal settles down.

I was also curious to see what others may have experienced and what their stories were. It is something I have faced and was wondering if there was anyone else with a similar story.

Levitas

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 2, 2011
Saint Louis
I'm not sure what you're getting at here... are you asking if someone is less depressed after quitting cigarettes? If it somehow had an effect on the anti depression medication? I don't see how being on anti depressive meds relates to vaping, or not smoking.

It depends on a few things. What type of anti-depressants are you taking, OP? Quitting smoking (vaping) and using an anti-depressant can a great deal to do with one another.

Consider this: What happens when you smoke, or use nicotine? A number of things, of course. But, specifically, let's talk about dopamine, a neurotransmitter that makes you feel fantastic. When you use nicotine, dopamine levels increase in the brain. When the levels decrease, the body wishes for more, and voila, addiction.

http://quitsmoking.about.com/od/nicotine/a/nicotineeffects.htm

Now, let's think about anti-depressants. Some have very similar effects to the brain as nicotine, in that, it causes the body to release more of the neurotransmitter dopamine.

Antidepressants and the dopamine connection

Now, let's talk about the combination of both and the possibility of why things are happening as they are. Do we have any actual studies that show exactly how much nicotine is absorbed into the body via vaping as opposed to smoking traditional cigs? If so, I'd be interested in reading it, for sure.

However, if not, all we can do is assume, or make educated guesses, right?

Let me just throw it out there: If the body notices an change, and the change is semi-permanent, the body will respond in like - (for example: smoking or vaping or using anti-deps = release of more dopamine, the body will eventually believe that it has more than it needs of the neurotransmitter and cease, or reduce the amount being made).

So, I ask again to the OP, what anti-deps are you using? What changes have you personally noticed?

jespeak

ECF Veteran
Jul 30, 2012
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
It depends on a few things. What type of anti-depressants are you taking, OP? Quitting smoking (vaping) and using an anti-depressant can a great deal to do with one another.

Consider this: What happens when you smoke, or use nicotine? A number of things, of course. But, specifically, let's talk about dopamine, a neurotransmitter that makes you feel fantastic. When you use nicotine, dopamine levels increase in the brain. When the levels decrease, the body wishes for more, and voila, addiction.

http://quitsmoking.about.com/od/nicotine/a/nicotineeffects.htm

Now, let's think about anti-depressants. Some have very similar effects to the brain as nicotine, in that, it causes the body to release more of the neurotransmitter dopamine.

Antidepressants and the dopamine connection

Now, let's talk about the combination of both and the possibility of why things are happening as they are. Do we have any actual studies that show exactly how much nicotine is absorbed into the body via vaping as opposed to smoking traditional cigs? If so, I'd be interested in reading it, for sure.

However, if not, all we can do is assume, or make educated guesses, right?

Let me just throw it out there: If the body notices an change, and the change is semi-permanent, the body will respond in like - (for example: smoking or vaping or using anti-deps = release of more dopamine, the body will eventually believe that it has more than it needs of the neurotransmitter and cease, or reduce the amount being made).

So, I ask again to the OP, what anti-deps are you using? What changes have you personally noticed?

Thanks for your response! I am on Wellbutrin and Cypralex. The effects I am feeling is extreme tiredness and lack of focus. I was hoping this would improve after a couple of weeks, but instead it has gotten worse. Hence my appointment with my doctor to discuss possibly upping my dosage for short term until I settle down from withdrawal. I have done some research on the affects of nicotine withdrawal and depression - the consensus seems to be a possibility of a depressive episode while kicking the smoking habit.

I was also able to find research on existing depression and cessation of smoking. Nothing totally conclusive, but findings were that episodes did increase. I wanted to put this question out there for those in a similar situation as me, to see what they had experienced. I do not plan to stop vaping - there is no question about that. I just wanted to hear others share their stories - helps give me support.

jespeak

ECF Veteran
Jul 30, 2012
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
I'm not sure what you're getting at here... are you asking if someone is less depressed after quitting cigarettes? If it somehow had an effect on the anti depression medication? I don't see how being on anti depressive meds relates to vaping, or not smoking. I feel much better now that I don't smoke both physically and mentally but I think feeling better mentally is temporary. Any underlying depression can dissipate temporarily when something good happens. I don't think this is any reason to stop taking the meds or to think that was somehow the cause of the depression. Sorry if I'm way off base here...

I do apologize if I wasn't very clear with my post. I was wanting to see if there were others ( on antidepressants) and what their experiences were with changing smoking tobacco to vaping. Because of my own experience, I felt it was important to share with others. Hope this clears up any misunderstanding.

jespeak

ECF Veteran
Jul 30, 2012
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Tiredness and lack of focus can occur when you quit smoking. How much did you smoke? What nic level are you using now? How often do you vape?

To answer your questions - I smoked a pack a day ( king size) and I am vaping about a total of 2 hours in a day. The level of nicotine in my juice is 12mg per 20ml bottle. I realize that change can take time - helps to hear that from others too.
Thanks for your questions and your support.

Cheers and Happy Vaping!

Orobas

Equine Disrespect
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 3, 2012
Jarhead City
I was in the past diagnosed with bipolar disorder, though I seem to be evening out as I get older.

It mostly manifests in me as the occasional short period (thankfully usually only a few days) of oppressive despair and extreme lack of gumption, and yes I did experience a short period of this when I quit. I was medicated in the past but found that antidepressants made me feel very stupid, so I decided I would rather function normally but be sad sometimes rather than live my like in a blissful oblivious stupor.

Your milage, of course, may vary.

Keep in mind that analogs do deliver a small dose of MAOIs that are, from what I have read, absent in vaping. I believe THAT may be the root source of cigarette withdrawl even if you're getting your nicotine through other means.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread