Anti E-Cig AFN Commercial Airing...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Parliament

ECF Veteran
Feb 12, 2009
Dayton, Ohio
Well Ladies and Gentlemen,

I am currently deployed with my e-cig, and have been showing it off to co-workers who have been interested with idea of vaping and impressed by the concept. vaping isn't an easy sell to everyone, but its gained general acceptance around my office. Well now all of that credibility is shot, the AFN (American Forces Network) TV channel is now airing anti e-cig advertisements. They are claiming that smoking an e-cig is dangerous and comperable to smoking anti-freeze. I am not too happy about this, not one bit. The propaganda machine smashes all my e-cig evangelism... :'( :facepalm:

I am willing to bet that this commercial is not based on any study or truth, but was rather just implemented to be a scare tactic against vapers and to get more bad looks and lectures from co-workers. :facepalm:

BigJimW

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 17, 2009
Warwick, RI
www.moonport.org
I am willing to bet that this commercial is not based on any study or truth, but was rather just implemented to be a scare tactic against vapers and to get more bad looks and lectures from co-workers. :facepalm:

Not surprising. And this propaganda machine will only to continue beating it's tired old drum until e-cigs are erraticated totally off the face of the Earth. Who says it has anything to do with facts and truth? We're dealing with the FDA, an agency that missed tainted eggs and spinach, and finally pulls defective "approved" drugs off the market after it kills only a few thousand people. Chantix is still around though.

Just keep vaping and point your friends here to get real facts.

MoonRose

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 3, 2010
Indiana, USA
Here's the website page for the AFN.

myAFN Home

At the bottom of the page there is a clickable place to give viewer feedback. Time to give them the real facts about e-cigs and to let them know that by promoting the FDA's propaganda about e-cigs they are now becoming directly responsible for the continued deaths of cigarette smokers by not letting them know that there are safer alternatives to smoking.

Liv2Ski

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 14, 2010
Burnt Hills NY
It will only get worse. Wait till vaping starts to take a noticable percenatge of sales away from big tobacco companies. They have deep pockets and powerful allies. Right now the market for e-cigs is small enough to be under their radar but exponetial growth is a funny thing and these guys will soon notice. Now I wonder how long a 55 gal drum of e-juice will stay good for?????

Rothman

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 21, 2010
Aviano, Italy
Saw this while sitting in the food court today... The worst part is they run through a list of harmfull chemicals that are supposedly in the liquid. The list that is several thousand words long scrolls while the narrarator reads them aloud but, they speed it up so you can't actually read or hear what is actually listed. All to give the effect that the toxins in the e-cig are far to vast to name or list in a short amount of time. Typical propaganda. They listed a web address at the end for for info on the e-cig (info according to the dod). I missed it as I was taking a bite of my pizza. I will find that link however and will post it when I do.

It's really starting to pizz me off when I'm at the smoke pit and one of the many uninformed know-it-all's that's smoking an analog tells me how dangerous e-cigs are. Their all experts now thanks to the afn and dod smear campaign. It's bull......... Happens almost every day

Yes, I have to hang out with the analog smokers so I can vape...

Pheisty

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 23, 2009
Wisconsin
It will only get worse. Wait till vaping starts to take a noticable percenatge of sales away from big tobacco companies. They have deep pockets and powerful allies. Right now the market for e-cigs is small enough to be under their radar but exponetial growth is a funny thing and these guys will soon notice. Now I wonder how long a 55 gal drum of e-juice will stay good for?????

This is my fear, as well. Granted, it'll be a good thing because that means that people are giving up smoking for good and will join our ranks as e-cig advocates...but when gov't starts seeing a dip in their tobacco tax revenues and Big Tobacco starts losing money, as well...that's when the big guns come out.

Plan for a gigantic propaganda drop (the likes of which we've never seen)...right on America's head. Commercials, legislation, media jumping on the anti-vaping bandwagon...it's gonna get ugly.

PoliticallyIncorrect

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 31, 2010
SoCal
Well Ladies and Gentlemen,

I am currently deployed with my e-cig, and have been showing it off to co-workers who have been interested with idea of vaping and impressed by the concept. Vaping isn't an easy sell to everyone, but its gained general acceptance around my office. Well now all of that credibility is shot, the AFN (American Forces Network) TV channel is now airing anti e-cig advertisements. They are claiming that smoking an e-cig is dangerous and comperable to smoking anti-freeze. I am not too happy about this, not one bit. The propaganda machine smashes all my e-cig evangelism... :'( :facepalm:

There's an unspoken understanding within the anti-smoking (and by extension, anti-vaping) militancy that deliberate, calculated dishonesty is not only justified, it's thought to be a shrewed tactic and a virtuous, self-sacrificial throwing of one's own integrity onto a hand grenade.

It's too early for the unveiling of Mike Siegel's 2010 Lie of the Year Award and the Pants on Fire Runner-Up Awards--AFN's commercial looks eligible for nomination--but here's the list for 2009: The Rest of the Story: Tobacco News Analysis and Commentary: The Rest of the Story Announces the 2009 Lie of the Year Award and the Pants on Fire Runner-Up Awards for 2009

Pheisty

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 23, 2009
Wisconsin
There's an unspoken understanding within the anti-smoking (and by extension, anti-vaping) militancy that deliberate, calculated dishonesty is not only justified, it's thought to be a shrewed tactic and a virtuous, self-sacrificial throwing of one's own integrity onto a hand grenade.

It's too early for the unveiling of Mike Siegel's 2010 Lie of the Year Award and the Pants on Fire Runner-Up Awards--AFN's commercial looks eligible for nomination--but here's the list for 2009: The Rest of the Story: Tobacco News Analysis and Commentary: The Rest of the Story Announces the 2009 Lie of the Year Award and the Pants on Fire Runner-Up Awards for 2009

Ahh! I see that my pals at Smokefree Wisconsin won 'Lie of the Year Award'!

My friend, Ryan, and I (when we had our 'Ban the Ban Wisconsin' group to try to stop the Wisconsin smoking ban) challenged Smokefree Wisconsin to several public debates, and they ignored us each time. Now you can see why...they weren't interested in truth. They're just a bunch of miserable thugs who get their paychecks from the tobacco settlements, and who also need to continually justify their existence.

Rothman

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 21, 2010
Aviano, Italy
Well... It's going to be written in the new USAF tobacco policy in the next few months. Right now, technically there is no policy concerning e-cigs but we are "urged" and "nudged" with an iron fist to use smoke pits. I completely understand not vaping inside, it looks unprofessional but having to stand there with analog smokers bothers me.

On a side note....We had an "All Call" this morning in which a SMSgt walked up to one of the guys I work with as we were vaping and said "Is that one of those electronic cigarettes? You know those are bad for you." Mind you this was at the smoke pit where at least a dozen or so people were burning analogs. "My son just started using one of those, their just as bad as the real thing." There was more to it but I was fairly blown away by his ignorance and can't seem to remember the whole exchange of words that went down. Another "well informed" person thanks to the AFN commercial and the AF Surgeon generals warning. I wanted to hit him with the truth but, that was neither the time nor the place to do so. So I just smiled and nodded with grit teeth.

Just to clarify, AFN is the tv network that is broadcast for military members stationed overseas. Because most countries don't have American, english speaking channels, that is what they provide us with. There are no real commercials as you would recognize commercials. They are all military and dod commercials. AFN is kinda like a greatest hits tv show station.

markmcs

ECF Veteran
Aug 24, 2010
New York City, USA
This is off topic, but I want to take a minute to thank you, Parliament and Rothman, and everyone else serving in our armed forces for your service and sacrifice!! Whether you are stateside or overseas, my family and I, as well as millions of other Americans, are extremely grateful!!! About this, I do NOT joke.

Last edited:

CaptJay

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 3, 2010
A Brit, abroad, (USA)
The hypocrisy of telling soldiers that they can die for their country but only from bullets or bombs is astounding - these men and women are putting htier lives on the line, something they have CHOSEN to do, but apparently aren't smart enough to make their own decisions about smoking or vaping? I mean..seriously?

Vocalek

CASAA Activist
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
This is off topic, but I want to take a minute to thank you, Parliament and Rothman, and everyone else serving in our armed forces for your service and sacrifice!! Whether you are stateside or overseas, my family and I, as well as millions of other Americans, are extremely grateful!!! About this, I do NOT joke.

What Mark said: My family and I thank all of you as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread