Status
Not open for further replies.

kristin

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Aug 16, 2009
CASAA - Wisconsin
casaa.org
It will only get worse. Wait till vaping starts to take a noticable percenatge of sales away from big tobacco companies. They have deep pockets and powerful allies. Right now the market for e-cigs is small enough to be under their radar but exponetial growth is a funny thing and these guys will soon notice.

I doubt e-cigs will eat up too much of BT's profits. Most vapers are older smokers (many of whom may have already been planning on giving BP their money instead when they found e-cigs) and BT is still getting new smokers every day, since despite the anti rhetoric, kids are more likely to pick up a real cigarette than an e-cig! (OK, I admit that's a stretch, but BP is obviously much more threatened by e-cigs than BT, since BT could easily get into the e-cig business if they are ultimately catagorized tobacco products.)

kristin

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Aug 16, 2009
CASAA - Wisconsin
casaa.org
Well Ladies and Gentlemen,

I am currently deployed with my e-cig, and have been showing it off to co-workers who have been interested with idea of vaping and impressed by the concept. Vaping isn't an easy sell to everyone, but its gained general acceptance around my office. Well now all of that credibility is shot, the AFN (American Forces Network) TV channel is now airing anti e-cig advertisements. They are claiming that smoking an e-cig is dangerous and comperable to smoking anti-freeze. I am not too happy about this, not one bit. The propaganda machine smashes all my e-cig evangelism... :'( :facepalm:

I am willing to bet that this commercial is not based on any study or truth, but was rather just implemented to be a scare tactic against vapers and to get more bad looks and lectures from co-workers. :facepalm:

On a side note....We had an "All Call" this morning in which a SMSgt walked up to one of the guys I work with as we were vaping and said "Is that one of those electronic cigarettes? You know those are bad for you." Mind you this was at the smoke pit where at least a dozen or so people were burning analogs. "My son just started using one of those, their just as bad as the real thing." There was more to it but I was fairly blown away by his ignorance and can't seem to remember the whole exchange of words that went down. Another "well informed" person thanks to the AFN commercial and the AF Surgeon generals warning. I wanted to hit him with the truth but, that was neither the time nor the place to do so. So I just smiled and nodded with grit teeth.

Downnload and print out the CASAA tri-fold and the Medical Info-graph and hand it out - especially to your superiors!

The irony of standing in a group of smokers, KNOWING the dangers of smoking and telling the vapers that e-cigs are bad.

If you can get us some names and addresses, CASAA can write them letters and send an info packet to the powers that be. This is utterly ridiculous!

(And +1 thanking you all for your service!!)

Pheisty

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 23, 2009
Wisconsin
The hypocrisy of telling soldiers that they can die for their country but only from bullets or bombs is astounding - these men and women are putting htier lives on the line, something they have CHOSEN to do, but apparently aren't smart enough to make their own decisions about smoking or vaping? I mean..seriously?

Isn't it ridiculous?? Jason Lewis (my favorite radio talk show host...give him a listen) was complaining about smoking bans on military bases and how silly they are by using that exact argument...I wonder if he knows about e-cigs being banned, as well...he's sure to flip out. Maybe I'll send him an email...

maclean

ECF Veteran
Aug 8, 2010
italy
Well, you only need to read the USAF blurb to see where they're coming from.

Air Force personnel warned of e-cigarettes - UPI.com

The surgeon general of the U.S. Air Force warns all personnel about the danger of e-cigarettes and that they are banned wherever smoking is banned.

Lt. Gen. Charles B. Green, surgeon general of the U.S. Air Force, says in a memo to all Air Force personnel that advertisements may claim electronic cigarettes are a healthier way to smoke, but a sample tested by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration contained diethylene glycol -- a toxic chemical used in anti-freeze.

Manufacturers offer cartridges with decreasing levels of nicotine with the idea that they can be used to help someone quit smoking, Green says.

"No studies have been done to demonstrate the safety or effectiveness of these products as tobacco cessation aids and they are not approved by the FDA as a drug delivery device," Green says in the memorandum.

"Commanders also need to be aware that the cartridges used in these devices are replaceable and could be used to discreetly deliver substances other than nicotine."

The FDA has warned e-cigarettes pose acute health risks and the devices also present a serious risk of addicting new users, including children.

E-cigarette users suffer from potentially serious symptoms including racing pulse, dizziness, slurred speech, mouth ulcers, heartburn, coughing, ........ and sore throat, the FDA says.

It's truly scandalous that the military would make a decision based on little or no actual evidence.

mac

Bustastew

ECF Veteran
May 29, 2010
N/A
This is probably General Green's doing. He put a lie on the Air Force news paper stating that long term use of nicotine causes cancer. I dont know where his anti ecig motivation comes from (I can damn sure speculate), but it's up to the service members to let him know how we feel about it. Do what we did, through permission of your chain of command write him a letter. This General is either uninformed or corrupt. So far its been over two weeks with no reply...

superfrog

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 28, 2010
North Virginia
My best thinking atm, some one in the Airforce needs to write an editorial to the Airforce Times about this, referencing CASAA's (and other) tri-fold. That newspaper is circulated throughout the world, on all of our major bases (including other services). I would do it, but it just wouldn't look right coming from a Navy guy.

Then, someone from the other services do the same for thier respective Newspaper, I'm drafting one up now for the Navy Times, blasting the Airforce's mis/dis information to the troops. I think I'll go a little further and get in communication with the VFW and the VA on the issue also.

It is a shame, the military needs all hands to be in good health and has been preaching for years that smoking is bad for readiness. Now, with the tools in hand, they would rather have our service personnel hurt themselves with 'friendly fire'.

Being a serviceman, I honestly can say... Military Intellegence - Ultimate Oxymoron.

Kate51

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 27, 2009
Argyle Wi USA
Parliament, THANKS for being there! And you're right ~ bad press is prevalent everywhere, but you're also right to question the reliability of this information. I think we all agree this is extremely hurtful and hateful, considering the consequences.
I was a 44 year smoker feeling very separated from society because of it: and I knew it was killing me! Now we have a society that wants to have a sterile planet, it seems. Well, e-cigs do have nicotine in the liquid, that's the beauty of them. No burning plant material anymore. But nicotine is NOT a carcinogen, and it's about time that truth came out. Kristin's post was the right answer: Print out some of those great Brochures and pass them along. People can discover truth to power very quickly if they just go look for it!!
Best of luck to all, and STAY SAFE.

RoKeM

ECF Veteran
Jul 16, 2009
Dallas, TX.
Well, you only need to read the USAF blurb to see where they're coming from.

Air Force personnel warned of e-cigarettes - UPI.com

It's truly scandalous that the military would make a decision based on little or no actual evidence.

mac

The best (or worst) part in this article is when it says no studies have been made to prove its safe, then they turn right around and say they pose acute health risks ?!?! How can anyone not see the BS in this? It also gives a list of symptoms that are all just symptoms of nicotine over dose that can happen with any product that contains it! I’ve vaped for well over a year now and don’t suffer from any of that. But my absolute favorite load of BS was also used, (it can cause addiction in new users, including children) WOW, it doesn’t take long for the machine to pump out the old “YOUR CHILDREN MAY DIE FROM THIS MONSTER” crap! Like these dirt bags give a rats ... about anyone’s kids!

kristin

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Aug 16, 2009
CASAA - Wisconsin
casaa.org
CASAA is working on a letter. We know that the likelihood that they'll listen is slim, but we want to try nonetheless. We're trying to work out who best to send it to, so if any of our service folks could give us a lead, that'd be great. Are civilians allowed to write the Air Force Times? Are there any other papers we could send our letter to? How much do those publications "tow the line?" Do they ever disagee with armed forces policies? Can we contact the AFN at all to try to get an interview?

If anyone in the service is also a CASAA member, it would be helpful if you PM me or Elaine. It gives us a little more "authority" to be getting involved, since we would be supporting members, not just butting in - if that makes sense.

Bahnzo

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jul 21, 2010
Colorado
From the post above about the Surgeon General of the Air Force, and his statement that:
"Commanders also need to be aware that the cartridges used in these devices are replaceable and could be used to discreetly deliver substances other than nicotine."

I'm going to risk a ban/card and explain that this is just not simply true. The "substances other than nicotine" they are referring too I assume is that smokable plant (trying to skirt around as best I can).

First, it's hardly discreet....the smell of the smoke would be a dead giveaway.
Second, you can't use plant matter in a PV, we all know that.
Third, there are liquid forms of (thing I can't talk about) that they maybe think could be used. But that's not true either. The (thing I can't talk about) isn't water soluble, but oil soluble, so it would effectively ruin the atty pretty quickly because the liquid form is made from oils.

Just another example of using fear to control something.

Rothman

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 21, 2010
Aviano, Italy
If anyone in the service is also a CASAA member, it would be helpful if you PM me or Elaine. It gives us a little more "authority" to be getting involved, since we would be supporting members, not just butting in - if that makes sense.

I would love to be this guy but I'm quite sure that were not allowed to use our service to influence any organizations or affiliate ourselves with an organization under the pretense that we are service members. Unfortunately the military makes it quite hard to speak out for what you believe in.

The Air Force Times newspaper would most likely publish anything you send them. They tell all sides of a story and publish feedback freely. There have been many times that I have been blown away by some of the letters they allowed to be published. There are many articles written for the paper that speak out against current and proposed policies.

On a different note.... thank all of you guys for your support, it is much appreciated!

MoonRose

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 3, 2010
Indiana, USA
CASAA is working on a letter. We know that the likelihood that they'll listen is slim, but we want to try nonetheless. We're trying to work out who best to send it to, so if any of our service folks could give us a lead, that'd be great. Are civilians allowed to write the Air Force Times? Are there any other papers we could send our letter to? How much do those publications "tow the line?" Do they ever disagee with armed forces policies? Can we contact the AFN at all to try to get an interview?

Kristin ... you should also send the info regarding e-cigs to the High Commander of the VFW, to the President of the VFW Ladies Auxillary and to the High Commander of The American Legion.

Vocalek

CASAA Activist
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Kristin ... you should also send the info regarding e-cigs to the High Commander of the VFW, to the President of the VFW Ladies Auxillary and to the High Commander of The American Legion.

Can someone supply the names and addresses of those who should receive a copy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread