Anti-freeze Redux - ECF Infozone Article

Status
Not open for further replies.

ECF Articles

ECF Veteran
Jul 29, 2013
A new article has been posted on the ECF Infozone: Just when you think that ignorance has finally been dispelled, along comes another journalist who thinks that vaping liquids are anti-freeze. Time for another chemistry lesson. In an article on the new e-cigarette Smokio, and its extraordinary apps for monitoring health and usage issues, (covered in this blog several months ago), a journalist introduced the […]
The post Anti-freeze Redux appeared first on ECF InfoZone.

Article by Gary Cox

Go and read it Here...!

bigdancehawk

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 27, 2010
Kansas City, Missouri
I guess anybody can post anything on TechCrunch. I posted this response:

The level of ignorance displayed by this writer is astounding. Part of the problem here is that she can't read. Among her other false statement, she repeated word for word a statement in the linked article about waterpipes and applied it to e-cigarettes: "...exposure to the same toxins as cigarettes but in higher quantities. The smoke produced by a waterpipe contains high levels of many of the same toxic compounds found in cigarettes, including carbon monoxide, heavy metals" etc.

Waterpipes burn tobacco, just like cigarettes. So of course they produce carbon monoxide and other products of combustion, just like cigarettes. E-cigarettes don't burn anything. Therefore, they can't possibly produce carbon monoxide or any other products of combustion.

This woman claims to be a "tech culture, biotech" writer for USA Today, among other media outlets. If so, the quality of journalism in this country has sunk to an all time low.

DreamWithin

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 15, 2012
New England
I've had that argument with one of my co-workers, too. He's one of those types though that would do anything to find an excuse not to give up smoking ;-)

and the only part of that the ignorant see is antifreeze and think automotive antifreeze.
Yeah, it's just another buzz-word for the anti-vaping crowd. Heck, if you add salt to water it lowers the freezing point, so you could use the same loosely-reasoned argument that SALT is anti-freeze :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread