Anticipation of first eCig & Questions while I wait

Status
Not open for further replies.

RegularGuy

Dec 9, 2008
Maryland
Hello all,
I just ordered my first Mini-ecig from PureSmoker.com this morning. I've been reading this board for 2 days and I'm so excited to get my first ecig and start using it.

A little history....What got me started on this crazy idea?
I saw a youtube vid about a year ago and was intrigued but was disappointed that these things only seemed to be available in Europe at the time. My wife went to a local mall (Maryland) over the weekend and saw one of those SmokingEverywhere kiosks and tried one. She told me about her experience and I became VERY intrigued but started doing research and I'm glad she didn't do an impulse buy from what I've heard about SmokingEverywhere. I appreciate everyone's posts about PureSmoker and I'm excited to get my new gadget soon.

Are there any closet smokers out there?
My wife and I are both closet smokers. We both have been smoking since our late teens/early 20s (about a half to whole pack per day and even less in our earlier smoking years). We both smoke publically when around other friends who smoke but we hide it from most of our famlies, co-workers, and other non-smoking friends as we don't want to be judged as stinky dirty nicotine addicts as many non-smokers think of smokers (especially these days). Somehow we have managed to keep our dirty smoking habit a secret to those non-smoking friends & famliy for many years (with lots of gum, washing hands, changing clothes, and refraining from smoking a couple hours before visits). Neither of us smoke while at work and are light smokers when we can (1/2 pack a day on average) but we've never been able to kick the habit all together (I think a lot of it is ritualistic pleasure we just don't want to give up combined with the evil addiction of nicotine).

What am I looking forward to:
I'm looking forward to breathing easier, getting my senses back, not stinking like cigs or having to cover up the smell, constantly chewing gum, being able to "Vape" in our home, feeling better, and lots of the other things you all have mentioned as benefits to switching to the world of digital nico pleasures.

Uncommon Questions for those who have been vaping:
So here are some rare QUESTIONS that I haven't seen asked on this board (I haven't read the entire board but these don't seem to be too common)

- Does the Tobacco flavored liquids/carts leave a taste or tobacco odor in your mouth at all? Say I was going to hug/kiss a non-smoking relative right after vaping, would they detect it on me at all?

- Say you didn't want to let people at your work know that you smoke (or vape for that matter)... could you close your office door and take a few hits privately and not have anyone know you did anything? I hear the vapor is odorless but is there any lingering residue smell from any of the flavored liquids or tobacco flavored carts?

- Have your obnoxious partying guy friends (who smoke analogs) given you a hard time about using the eCig? Meaning, they see that you are trying to do good for your health and they are a bit jealous so they tease you about it?

- How easy is it to sneek some drags at say work or in a public place if you don't want people to know you smoke (or vape)? Like, if you are a closet smoker like me, do you ever go to a public bathroom to take a few hits off your e-cig to calm your cravings?

I basically just want to know if there is ANY vapor or flavor odor that can be detected by non-smokers while vaping or immediately after.

Thanks in advance for your responses. I'm interested to see what others have to say. I can't wait to get my new toy so I can start enjoying a healthier life without giving up that one ritualistic thing that makes me feel good.

Grenage

ECF Veteran
Oct 21, 2008
Portsmouth, UK
Hi there, welcome :)

- Does the Tobacco flavored liquids/carts leave a taste or tobacco odor in your mouth at all? Say I was going to hug/kiss a non-smoking relative right after vaping, would they detect it on me at all?

Not really, it's not at all cig-like but it may leave your mouth a little dry (especially at first).

- Say you didn't want to let people at your work know that you smoke (or vape for that matter)... could you close your office door and take a few hits privately and not have anyone know you did anything? I hear the vapor is odorless but is there any lingering residue smell from any of the flavored liquids or tobacco flavored carts?

Depending on the flavour of the liquid, most are relatively odourless. By holding the vapour in your lungs for a few seconds you will generally breath out clear air. I often smoke at my desk, but I hold it in.

- Have your obnoxious partying guy friends (who smoke analogs) given you a hard time about using the eCig? Meaning, they see that you are trying to do good for your health and they are a bit jealous so they tease you about it?

Some people do belittle e-cigs, but I believe that to be their loss. Most smokers are interested and many I know have gone off to purchase a cheap starter kit.

I basically just want to know if there is ANY vapor or flavor odor that can be detected by non-smokers while vaping or immediately after.

A keen nose might pick up some of the sweeter or more pungent smells, but by and large it is not noticeable. My girlfriend certainly cannot tell whether or not I have been using it (I've asked her before).

Mr.Darcy

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 16, 2008
UK
hello mate...:)

well theres no comparison between the smell of ecig vapour and cigarettes...and ecig vapour doesnt hang in the air like a cloud like cigarette smoke either...itll become invisable very quickly...

ecigs might leave an odour,but its absolutely nothing like a cigarette at all...its very faint and usually quite a nice smell...

if youre vaping,lets say,strawberry liquid-itll leave a very faint strawberry odour...apple-apple odour...vanilla-vanilla odour etc...

the tobacco cartridges and liquids however do not leave a cigarette odour...

no way will anyone be able to tell youve just had a puff on your ecig by smelling your breath or hands...so dont worry about that...

doing it in public...yeah i do it discreetly all the time...ive even done it in the cinema...just hold the vapour in your lungs for a while,and very little vapour will come out when you exhale...

as for your friends...well theyll probably want one soon,so i wouldnt worry about any ribbing you get...;)

Gimby

Nov 14, 2008
Birmingham, UK
I have only been vaping for a few weeks myself, but everyone has always known I am a pretty heavy smoker, so I openly vape in the office and at home.

At first I was hesitant, because I too was worried about lingering smell and didn't want it to affect the none smokers. Now there are 2 of us vaping in a small office with 8 non smokers 5 days a week. We are constantly asking if they can smell it or notice it in any way, and the answer is always no, from every single one of them.

Also I have smoked in public bathroom cubicles, with other people in there, and it has never been questioned. It could just be the stiff british upper lip and over politeness on their part, but I truly believe they had no idea.

Hope that puts your mind at ease a little :)

efaglil

ECF Veteran
Oct 18, 2008
UK
I've vaped in a tiny meeting room and when I've asked of the four of us, only one guy has been able to detect anything. I was vaping a tobacco flavour and he said the scent was similar to that of a fog machine. Makes sense...

I also take great pleasure in regularly vaping in my non-smoking and extremely anti-smoking husband's car! He says he can only detect the faint smell of vanilla or coffee or whatever the flavour is I happen to be using that day. He doesn't moan about it at all and praise be for these small mercies! ;-)

RegularGuy

Dec 9, 2008
Maryland
Thanks for your replies and answers to my questions everyone... they clear up a lot of facts about e-smoking for me.

The smell & odor factor is a big one for me as a partial closeted smoker (around certain people) because of constantly covering up my breath, clothes, & hands. And it's going to be nice to "vape" just before going over to non-smokers houses to calm the cravings for a while and not smell like an ashtray and eating 5 pieces of gum.

I just came back from a lunch break and a woman had just butted her cig and stepped into the elevator with me. She reaked to high heavens smiling at me with her nasty brown stained teeth but thoroughly "nico-satisfied" none-the-less. I wanted to gag but the irony is it made me want to smoke also (since I don't normally smoke while at work for this very same reason - grossing out my co-workers).

I can't wait to be able to vape at work to hold me through the work day. I'll still hide it from my co-workers since they don't know I normally smoke but at least it's easily concealable even in the workplace and will keep me going mad craving a cig by the end of a hard work day. I've tried chewing the nico-gum 2mg half way through the day but it just makes me feel sick and is about ZERO nico-satisfaction as compared to real smoking. I'm hoping vaping will do the trick.

Thanks again for the responses.

GabbyD

ECF Veteran
Dec 7, 2008
Southern U.S.
Hi, Regular Guy. I'm new at this (day 5 of e-smoking for me) but I wanted to respond to you because my husband and I are closet smokers too. With the exception of some smoking friends, we've hidden it for years, successfully. I even have family who lives nearby, but not close enough to just "drop in" and we go to great lengths to keep our little secret. So I am looking forward to A) quitting entirely at some point and B) not climbing the walls when I am in places I can't smoke. I have definitely been successful at e-smoking in public places without anyone noticing. Walked around a Walmart doing just that a couple of days ago! My husband plans to use it in the bathroom at work (we're waiting on our 2nd e-cig order right now and I wouldn't let him take mine with him to work and leave me hanging....hee-hee!) We have never smoked in our house and we are e-smoking in here. We're using regular tobacco flavored cartridges. I can tell you there is NO smell in the house. None. I normally can smell smoke on our dirty laundry and things like that. This thing leaves no lingering smell at all. If you're worried about your breath, I'd think a simple breath mint would resolve it, but I doubt the other person would think they were smelling tobacco anyway. It's sort of a sweet taste and doesn't seem to linger. I'd feel confident popping a mint and going straight up to a non-smoker.

I hope you enjoy yours when it arrives!

RegularGuy

Dec 9, 2008
Maryland
Gabby -
I knew there were others out there like us! (my wife & I). Closet smoking has not just become a discreet habit over the years but also a sort of private reward to ourselves. It's a way for us to unwind and enjoy a smoke without our non-smoking friends/relatives needing to know about it.

Yes we also smoke outside (never in the house). It's still difficult because living in a townhouse our neighbors have even complained about it multiple times. They want to be able to open their windows (all year round...freaks right?) and they shut them violently when we go outside to smoke. I feel bad for them in some ways but I also feel we have a right to smoke in our own backyard no matter how close our houses are. If they don't like it, keep your damn windows shut in the 20 and 100 degree weather! Hopefully if I can get my wife and I both to totally switch over to vaping, this issue will go away. One of the things I will miss the LEAST about analog smoking is constantly checking out the window every time we want a smoke to see if the neighbors are outside first. And then when they are out there, we usually wait to go out and have a cig because we don't even want to have a conversation with them about our smoking and get into all that mess again.

I realize the eCig is never going to solve all the problems of a smoking habit. With it will come it's own issues (availability of supplies, waiting for orders, risk of parts manfunctioning, relying on technology instead of matches, people thinking you are weird smoking an electronic cig, cleaning parts, not knowing exactly how much nicotine you are inhaling, risk of nicotine overdosing is higher) but in the long run, the eCig will solve many issues that I've been putting up with for years and I'm so ready for a change without having to completely sacrifice something I get pleasure out of every single day.

GabbyD

ECF Veteran
Dec 7, 2008
Southern U.S.
Ha! LOL, Gimby! :lol:

Regular Guy - I was a little concerned about the nicotine intake too and I did get jittery a few times. What I finally settled on doing is taking two or three drags and then setting it down and waiting a minute or two. Then I ask myself....do I feel like putting on a coat and going outside in the cold to have a cig? If the answer is no, I'm done. If the answer is yes, I take another drag or two. At first, I was puffing away like it was a regular cig and thinking I needed to puff on that thing for five minutes straight and that wasn't the case. Just a few. Maybe a few more after a meal. That does the trick!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread