Any Advice? - I want to become a modder.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ED-209

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 17, 2010
Florida Panhandle
Greetings fellow vapers,

As you can tell by the title, I want to get into learning everything I can and experimenting with the modding world. I am not looking to do this to become a supplier or anything but this is mainly for a hobby (I don’t have many) as well as to help any people I can (love spreading knowledge). I am into computers and have a good techie background but have no idea about things surrounding modding (soldering, electronics, switches, resistors, batteries, etc.)

I have been vaping since the end of July and I am starting to get into the mod world and I am finally buying a mod but seeing all the modding forums, videos, instructions, makes me really want to get into this. At first I figured it is just cheaper and easier (for someone with no experience like me) to buy them and some are works of art and are easier to just buy. However, after reading more, listening to interviews and watching videos, I learned that one of the most popular modders (or at least seems to be) didn’t even have any of this type of experience until they got into vaping, so that gave me hope.

So I guess what I am asking for help with is where is a good place to start, what should I be practicing and what tools and items are best to have for a beginner? Most of the items from the videos and instructions I reviewed came from Madvapes and some examples of tools are :

• Soldering iron and holder (Nothing too fancy, a normal $20 or so one)
  • Extra Hands (They sell them on Amazon, usually around $12)
  • Wire cutters (Again, not very expensive, Lowe’s)
  • Multimeter (Nice one for around $25ish either Amazon or Lowe’s)
  • Exacto knife (Anywhere and pretty cheap but Amazon has an entire kit that nice and inexpensive)

Thanks for reading the post and again I am a noob at this but feel this would be a great hobby and learning experience to get into.

Vape On[FONT="] :vapor:
[/FONT]

derek88

ECF Veteran
Jun 7, 2010
Chicago
If you have a Harbor Freight Harbor Freight Tools anywhere near you, they have all those things you listed very cheap and work pretty good for the price Iron $3 Helping hands $6 Multimeter $3 etc etc I started out with a box mods my first time you can piece one together from Madvapes site for $5-6 and takes about 10-15 minutes to build a little more first time around.

Youll also need a drill and some drill bits for making connector holes and such.

Derek

ED-209

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 17, 2010
Florida Panhandle
Thanks Derek, I have a regular drill but seems like for steady drilling that a different one might be better or maybe a vice to hold the box? There actually is a Harbor Freight Tools around here, so I might just head out there.

The box mod you mention is what caught my eye as a beginner project so I can start to learn how to solder, etc. I know I need a multimeter as I am going to start using 18650 batteries and want to be able to test the voltage.

Thanks again and to anyone else who has information to share...

misterD

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 27, 2009
worster - crappychusetts
this is very helpfull
image_2386.jpg

3 Piece Titanium Nitride Coated High Speed Steel Step Drills
also they used to have a rotary tool (dremel generic), a blue one, for 10 bucks. i got a vise but to drill on a plastic box you probably dont even need it.
this RS box is nice if you wanna stick a juice bottle to it and some other stuff.
http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2062279
index.jsp

its the same one i use for my varbox
get these switches. they're great
http://www.madvapes.com/Horn-style-switch--Black_p_2086.html
and check out mamu's thread if you wanna go VV with 2 batts
http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...6-very-easy-vv-mod-w-switching-regulator.html
and if you wanna add a voltage reader to the box
http://cgi.ebay.com/LiPo-Battery-Vo...Control_Parts_Accessories&hash=item336088562d

Last edited:

Sci

ECF Veteran
Dec 12, 2009
Al
Here's some of the items you can get from Harbor Freight. It wouldn't hurt to print these out. Sometimes the price in the store is more, but they've always told me they would match the online price if I had it printed out.

Multimeter - On sale right now for $1.99. It's not going to be the most accurate meter in the world, but it's worked for me so far.

Lighted helping hands - On sale for $5.99. These also have a good sized magnifying glass.

Smaller helping hands - On sale for $2.99. Unlighted, smaller than the above, but very useful. Get both if you can swing it.

Vise - $14.99. Great little vise.

Clamps - $1.99(sometimes you can catch them for $.99). These are cheap, but they come in handy, often. :)

Rotary tool - On sale for $9.99. This is the one MisterD was talking about. Definitely a must have.

13pc Precision Knife Set - $5.99 Not bad for the price.

Not @ Harbor Freight:
ZD-99 MINI SOLDER STATION - $14.95. Great, adjustable soldering station. I've been using one for months.

Last edited:

ED-209

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 17, 2010
Florida Panhandle
Thanks MisterD and Sci for the great information and especially the links. I think I have a great starting point on what tools to get.

Does anyone have any advice or links to how to videos? I watched the most popular one as to how to solder wires but curious as to how to solder to the button\switch. I also watched "Soldering Advice from Happysmokes" which was cool since he showed how to solder to a connector using an atty for an example.

I think I understand how to solder wires and to boards or at least the basics so I can try but just still not sure how to actually solder to the atty connectors as well as to the button\switch connectors.

Thanks again and keep it coming..

Vape On

ED-209

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 17, 2010
Florida Panhandle
Oh, one quick question. For those [3 Piece Titanium Nitride Coated High Speed Steel Step Drills], do they need to be used on a regular drill or do they work on dremels?

I actually have a dremel, I think a nice one, so wasn't sure if the one that was linked above was better or just a standard one?

The one I have is a [DREMEL MultiPro 275-02] and has a single speed of 35,000 RPM, is that too much and will the above steel drill tips work on this?

I assume the vise can be used to hold the dremel for drilling?

Thanks again for the help,

Vape On

l3oertjie

ECF Veteran
Aug 26, 2009
South Africa
ED-209, great news man!

In my humble opinion the most important tool you should have is this: "How can I make it better"

I constantly think about the advantages and disadvantages of the commercially available stuff out there to vapers. I guess you can find both aspects in all items all the time. But when you start asking yourself what works and what doesn’t and think of a way to maybe improve on an existing product you are making real progress. I have found that when you have an idea you find the tools to manufacture it. No matter what. Even threading needles – I mean, who would have thought that they could be so handy… hehehehe! http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/atomizer-mods/120072-atomizer-cartomizer-life.html

nicotime

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 22, 2009
Montoursville, PA
Oh, one quick question. For those [3 Piece Titanium Nitride Coated High Speed Steel Step Drills], do they need to be used on a regular drill or do they work on dremels?

I actually have a dremel, I think a nice one, so wasn't sure if the one that was linked above was better or just a standard one?

The one I have is a [DREMEL MultiPro 275-02] and has a single speed of 35,000 RPM, is that too much and will the above steel drill tips work on this?

I assume the vise can be used to hold the dremel for drilling?

Thanks again for the help,

Vape On

You will need a regular drill for those bits...the Dremel chuck is not big enough and does not have the torque needed...Dremel is a high speed tool.

Good luck!!:toast:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread