Any advice? Strange charging issue with a battery

Status
Not open for further replies.

BonnyC

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 15, 2010
Georgia
I'll try to be as thorough as possible to avoid any confusion. I'm having an issue with a battery. Well, it's my mom's battery but I'm the one she turns to with things like this.

This is a 650mah ego-T from Cignot, about 6 months old. She only uses Phoenix BC cartos on it at ~2.4 ohms. My charger and her charger are for standard egos, their output is 4.2v 420mA.

Okay, first off her battery went dead and she put it in to charge. After four hours, it still wasn't charged. The light stayed red, but it would fire if she took it off the charger so it had gotten a bit of a charge at least. Still, if she screwed it back on, it went back to red. This didn't happen to her other ego-T that came with the kit.

So, thinking it was probably something fairly simple like an issue with her charger, dirty connection, etc. I took it home. All of my batteries charged fine on her charger and on mine, which is only about a month old. Her battery wouldn't charge on my charger, either. This is after I'd cleaned the connections thoroughly.

Here's the strange part: I realize that batteries may get warm while charging and this occurs at the connection near where it screws into the charger. After 5 hours with a red light on the charger, I noticed that the area near the connection and my charger itself were cool. However, the base of her battery was quite warm, not yet hot.

So, I'm sort of scratching my head here. Any help would be appreciated but I'm just not really feeling right about this thing. I urged her to use my Kanger S1 kit I got to test until she can get some new egos, but she wanted me to make sure it's something to be concerned about. I tried to find info about the base of a battery heating up while charging but couldn't find it anywhere.

Thanks in advance :)

Rickajho

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 23, 2011
Boston MA
The greater point here is you have cross checked batteries and chargers and this one battery isn't behaving properly. Would it be ok if you left it on the charger for 8 hours to see what happens? I honestly don't know. Considering it had a good six month run, now seems to either not be completing a charge or not giving the right feedback to the charger to shut down if it completed charging, for the cost of a replacement battery it just isn't worth messing with.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread