Any Anime nerds out there?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drunkwaco

ECF Veteran
Jun 24, 2009
Denver Colorado
So We've found out how many World of warcraft players we have. How many scary movie lovers we have. and had a long fight about modern warfare2.
BUT we havn't seen how many Anime lovers we have here
So i suggest you name your top 5 Animes in order of just call us nerds.

#5 Gantz Anime (The manga was good too)
#4 AirGear Anime (Tried to read the Manga but to much (.)(.) wasn't Safe for work.)
#3 Bleach Anime
#2 Naruto
#1 code Geass

Drunkwaco

ECF Veteran
Jun 24, 2009
Denver Colorado
Ha if you find someone under the age of 18 watching Berzerk and Gants you should do something about that. These are not your saturday morning cartoons. In japan they don't really have a hollywood like we do. Cause to them Anime is there movies or sitcoms.
Can't believe i left Berzerk out of that. Great anime. Couldn't stand the manga since it comes out every 4 months or longer.

bladeangel87

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 22, 2009
Ha if you find someone under the age of 18 watching Berzerk and Gants you should do something about that. These are not your saturday morning cartoons. In japan they don't really have a hollywood like we do. Cause to them Anime is there movies or sitcoms.
Can't believe i left Berzerk out of that. Great anime. Couldn't stand the manga since it comes out every 4 months or longer.

I watched berserk when I was 14 or 15 I think lol.

antok

ECF Veteran
Mar 18, 2009
East Bay, California USA
I'm much more heavily into the Asian drama scene than anime (around 600 series at last count. Do you think 500+ dvd's and 5 terabytes of vids is a bit much??;P)

I read a bunch of anime, only watched a few including Gatchaman, Battle Angel Alita, Mazinger Z, Akira, and a few others whose names escape me at the moment.

sgupta

ECF Veteran
Jun 10, 2009
I don't think I can rank them simply because my taste varies, but I love anime!

I've greatly enjoyed Inu Yasha, Cowboy Bebop, Bleach, Eureka 7, Code Geass (my "modern" favorite currently), Fullmetal Alchemist, Trinity Blood, Trigun, and Neon Genesis Evangeleon (and have seen some others along the way).

*EDIT* Ack, can't forget Naruto and Naruto Shipudden! lol.

Lately, my anime obsession has been Astro Boy, and I'm planning to see all three series eventually (60's, 80's, and 2003). Contrary to some, despite some "Americanization" (which happens all too often), I really greatly enjoyed the recent 3D movie (even if a bit Americanized, not as much so as I feared - they kept the core quite intact IMO) and it got me interested in the character, anime, and manga. The more I check out, the happier I am of this fact as it's (IMO) some really great stuff. And the series so far I've watched (a little of each) have been extremely enjoyable! So I guess I'm saying give props to the old stuff. After all, Astro Boy *was* the first real anime series on television. Modern anime might not even exist if it weren't for Astro and Tezuka's works!

Last edited:

Drunkwaco

ECF Veteran
Jun 24, 2009
Denver Colorado
To me Elfen Lied is a lil worse actually, just watch the first episode and you'll see what I mean.

I watched teh first EP of Elfen Lied and was sure it was going to be epic. but then after watching the 2nd ep i gave up all hope and never returned to continue it. I hope ep3 was good but I wasn't going to give it a try.

After all, Astro Boy *was* the first real anime series on television. Modern anime might not even exist if it weren't for Astro and Tezuka's works!

I don't know that's a bold statment. I'm not even a fan but i'd still give that title to DBZ

SevTE

Mar 24, 2009
New Hampshire
I don't know that's a bold statment. I'm not even a fan but i'd still give that title to DBZ

DBZ? no way is it worthy of that title. It did help introduce a new generation of westerners to anime but there were so many great shows that came before it; Gatchaman, Tranzor Z (Mazinger Z!), StarBlazers, Grandizer, Voltron etc.

sgupta said:
Modern anime might not even exist if it weren't for Astro and Tezuka's works!

Modern anime definitely would not be what it is today if not for Osama Tezuka's vision and talent.

sgupta

ECF Veteran
Jun 10, 2009

I agree DBZ has been pretty influential (I never watched much of so can't say whether I'd like it or not; just never got into it), but we're sort of comparing apples to oranges. I'm not saying's one better than the other, but DBZ didn't air til 1989 (and DB before it 1986). Astro Boy aired in 1963 (and the manga started in 1952)!

When I'm saying it was the first real anime series on television (I probably should have used a different word than real in retrospect), I'm being quite literal. There were some anime-style movies and a few TV series before, but Astro Boy was the first one that was sequential (ongoing characters and plot) and you could say the first important one given decent airtime. Who knows if DBZ would have existed if it weren't for its success? (And I'm not saying it definitely wouldn't, but I'm not sure you can say it definitely would either - it's one of those interesting questions.) [I just learned all this fairly recently myself.]

So I'm certainly not trying to say one's better than the other. Just that Astro Boy's pretty darned important in the history of anime. And IMO, I'm having tons of fun with it, so its worth checking out. ^.^

As for DBZ, i would have to say it was my introduction into anime, so the 5-10 epidose battles they had do have a special place in my heart, followed by gundam wing, g gundam, and zoids(i think it was an anime, at least it looks like one)

as fer my current faves, it has to go somewhat like this
Bleach
Inu Yasha
Naruto Shippuden
Cowboy Bebop
Death Note

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread