Status
Not open for further replies.

dragonfire

Oct 21, 2008
Hawaii
Hello everyone!

Just wondering how many people have cats and what they are doing about the effects of PG on their cats.

I've read that PG can cause Heinz Body in cats, which is why they are not allowed to use PG in cat foods.

Also read that PG used in fog machines leaves a residue on the walls of clubs or theaters that use PG, so I was wondering if anyone had any tips to keep their cats safe?

Thanks in advance!

Glad that I found this forum as I've learned a lot from all of you!

Kimmiegrif

ECF Veteran
Sep 21, 2008
Maryland USA
there are a few different ways to get fog juice. Some are more oily than others. I believe that the ones that leave that oily fog are not made with what ecig juice is made of. I don't have a cat, but I have a dog that sticks to me like glue and I can vap away and he doesn't even respond to the vapor, where he hates analog burning cigs. Your cat isn't eating it just breathing the small amount that you exhale. I am not a professional to say whether it is bad or good for your cat, but if you feel confident it is safe for you to ingest...what you exhale is probably okay too.

dragonfire

Oct 21, 2008
Hawaii
I'm sure that you don't have to worry about your dog. PG is regarded as generally safe for all animals EXCEPT for cats.

Of course, I try and stay in another room when I vape, same as I did with regular cigs, but I still worry about the residue and wonder if it's on my hands and things like that.

My poor baby has enough problems without my adding to them!

Thanks for the response!

e-pipeman

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 16, 2008
Brown Edge, England
I think the problem would only occur if the cat ate a sizeable quantity of it.

Heinz body - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

If your cat drank a small bottle of e-liquid there might be issues with the PG. However, the issues with the nicotine (death) would make pg related concerns somewhat irrelevant.

I have two cats, Harris and Eva. Neither of them hang around when I'm vaping, so no worries there.

Heart's Smoking

Oct 23, 2008
SoCal, USA
I have a cat and while I do vape in the same room as him, I keep the vapor away from him. The vapor dissipates very quickly in the air, unlike smoke. Have you ever inhaled vapor and just held it in your lungs? I learned from a few posters here that the vapor will just absorb into your lungs if you hold it in long enough, unlike smoke. I guess my point is that the vapor probably doesn't stick around long enough to do harm like second hand smoke does.

I would be way more concerned about keeping your e-cigs and supplies way out of his reach. I keep all my stuff double boxed or in my pocket case; the only thing he has access to are the batteries when they are charging. In fact, tonight I got a little juice on my lip after vaping, the cat came over to me and started to become very interested in the sweet smell and tried to lick me! So they are definitely attracted to the smell/flavor of it. I don't even want to pet him if I haven't washed my hands after juicing a cart or something.

Anyway, that's just my .02, I'm sure you've already taken precautions to keep your kitty safe :)

I'd be interested to see what the Doc has to say about this, if he's not too busy with his experiments :)

scrubadub

ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2008
London, UK
I read recently that smoker's cats were more prone to certain types of cancer than cats in non-smoking environments. The reason being that a lot of the toxic crap in the smoke got caught up in the dust around the house. The cat picks up the dust in its fur, licks it off and then has the chemicals in its system.

From what I can gather our cats are probably much less at risk now than they were when we smoked tobacco all the time. I suppose the same thing could happen with PG building up in the dust but as long as you hoover regularly and pay particular attention to your cat's favourite spots then hopefully the risk is minimal.

dragonfire

Oct 21, 2008
Hawaii
But 'does' the vapour dissipate completely? I mean, surely it's there but you simply can't see it.

That was a concern of mine too. I believe that there is residue that we can't see.

I always wash my hands before handling my baby, especially if I have to give her her pills.

I do agree with Kate that smoking would be worse. If it's bad for us, it must be bad for them as well, maybe even more so.....

dc2k08, Didn't mean to bring up bad memories, I feel for you, I don't know what I'll do if I lose my babygirl.

Thanks Everyone!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread