Any deals going on for coil making kits?

Status
Not open for further replies.

VictorViper

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 22, 2013
Vancouver
www.thisoldneon.com
The Coilmaster DIY kit is pretty decent value, IMO, particularly if you need a tab reader. I found mine for about $40 taxes in (Canadian) at a brick and mortar, so you can likely do better.

Should be noted that everything in the kit is of very low quality, particularly the screwdrivers and angled needle tweezers. You can source much nicer stuff for not a lot more, but I don't know of any kits. Precision tweezers and drivers get pricey fast, but they're an investment, IMO.

• Agree
Reactions: stols001

MrStik

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 6, 2013
SoCal
I get my stuff off amazon. I source out things individually, it may cost more, but I get the stuff I want and stuff I need. I got 3 ceramic tweezers for under $8, and 2 sharp tweezers for like $5. I got surgical scissors for a couple dollars and I got tons of screwdrivers laying around. Flush cutters and needle nose are from Harbor Freight.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
You know, it's not a bad value, honestly. At least not if you are me. I rarely use tools, so if the screwdriver's terrible, I have absolutely no idea. I do like having my own dedicated set of tools for coiling including an Ohm's reader (heck, probably everything except the Ohm's reader the husband owns, or something that would work, but we don't ah, share tools. He says I break them, I say he loses them). In fact, when the husband was helping me with my first coil, he did attempt to "lose" a tool from the Coilmaster V2, but fortunately I spotted him doing it.

The only thing I don't care for is the coil jig, for some reason I can precisely wrap almost perfect spaced coils, but if I try to do a darn micro coil with both parts of the jig, I overlap them, which is not ideal. I end up wrapping spaced coils and smushing them together.

I'm sure I'm using too much pressure, but regardless.... It doesn't work out well.

But, the coilmaster kit is one thing I'm glad I have, I've probably used almost everything in it.

Anna

• Agree
Reactions: NicotineRush

VictorViper

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 22, 2013
Vancouver
www.thisoldneon.com
Anna - takes a single use to discover how awful the screwdrivers are in those kits. No expertise needed! :)

It's generally a good value though if you're building a kit from scratch.

[EDIT] Derp... I managed to miss the part saying you have the kit. Perhaps you got lucky. My flathead in particular folded like hot lead.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Seriously, I was the kind of kid you hid the tools from. I drank toilet bowl cleaner when my mom's back was turned at the age of 3. I guess it looked tasty. I can paint walls, I can unclog a toilet, I can do yardwork (but that's fun) but that's about it.

My screwdriver is fine, but I use it gently, LOL. I am adept at helping others to "help" me with tools, but I decided to be authentic with the building coils, and let me tell you, with a fine motor tremor, well, I'm amazed I got ANY RTAs up and running (but I did with that lovely screwdriver!)

Anna

Reactions: VictorViper

Flt Simulation

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 26, 2014
Florida
I have been making my own coils for the last 3 years ... I just have been using a 7/64" (2.8mm) drill bit, a regular ol' fingernail clipper and a junk pair of tweezers. It's all worked out very well when making my Kanthal single coils.

Is there any benifit from buying a fancy dedicated coil making kit?

listopencil

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 28, 2017
In Partibus Infidelium
I grabbed the Coilmaster Kit just recently, version 3. I got it for about $35 from MVS and they have it at $44 now. They can't keep them in stock. I had to wait to get mine and they're out right now even at the increased price. Understandable to me. The thing has worked great when I've used anything in it - except for the sample cotton - it's crap.

listopencil

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 28, 2017
In Partibus Infidelium
I have been making my own coils for the last 3 years ... I just have been using a 7/64" (2.8mm) drill bit, a regular ol' fingernail clipper and a junk pair of tweezers. It's all worked out very well when making my Kanthal single coils.

It keeps all of my crap in one place and I won't lose it if I put it away. Not bad for $35.

• Agree

VictorViper

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 22, 2013
Vancouver
www.thisoldneon.com

Not even a little. Sounds like you used the official "Vic Kit v1.0": nail clippers, a fondue fork and my girl's nice Tweezerman tweezers. Worked a treat for years. I moved to the kit after I started using Clapton wires. Proper snips, ceramic tweezers and a range of rod diameters became quite valuable once round builds went the wayside.

I didn't NEED a new ohm reader, but the voltage function and the Tab burner were serious perks that helped convince me to get a proper kit. Having a case has meant less clutter, too (my massive vape box is retired).

Maestro

ECF Veteran
Feb 19, 2012
Windsor, Ontario

I love my kit just because it has spots for all the tools and I never have to look for something. I put my wire and cotton in it too. I go camping a lot and if I just grab my kit, I know I have everything I'm going to need. The ohm tester is not needed but it's great for holding the deck while I'm building on it. It's just nice to have everything organized and in its place. For the price of 3 packs of smokes, I think it's a nice indulgence.

NicotineRush

Linux Mint/Mate
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 1, 2008
Living 'Off Grid'
Love my CoilMaster V? (newest version)
For a person just starting out coil building, it was the perfect setup. Everything I needed in a nice carry case. Keeps things nice and organized and I didn't have to spend time running around looking for various parts and pieces.
No comment on the screwdrivers as I haven't had a need to use them.

• Agree

MrStik

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 6, 2013
SoCal

Just to have a fancy coil making kit. I was able to source out everything I needed for about half of that, including a case (not as fancy) for all my coil building tools. i don't need an ohm reader, I use my mod as one, and yes I do have a nice fluke multimeter that I got for other reasons to use if I really needed something other than my mod to read the resistance.

It looks like a great kit and it is fantastic for those who want everything in a nice package.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread