Any dual 18650 or dual 21700 / 18650 box mods with a finish that won't flake off?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jersey_emt

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 26, 2009
New Jersey, USA
www.whichgun.com
I'm currently using a joyetech Cuboid (original 150W / 200W version) in grey, and a joyetech eVic Primo 2.0 in black/grey. I love both of them, and run the ArcticFox firmware. But the finishes flake off ridiculously easy. The Cuboid is much older and it looks like absolute hell, with about 50% of the finish gone in large chunks on every surface. The eVic Primo 2.0 is about 18 months old, and about 15-20% of its finish has flaked off of the metal surfaces.

I'm looking for a new mod whose finish will actually hold up. Here is what I am looking for:

• Dual 18650 or dual 21700 with ability to use 18650's. Triple 18650 is acceptable but definitely not preferred.
  • Wide enough to mount a 25 mm RDA with zero overhang is preferred, but as long as it can mount a 24 mm RDA without any overhang it is fine.
  • Black or silver finish preferred, although a brushed copper or a dark bronze (not a bright gold color) mod is also acceptable.
  • Colorful accents, or even "swirly resin" side plates or accents as long as there is a blue or purple option (not red / orange / yellow), are fine.
  • Simple and "clean" designs are preferred. No really crazy shapes like the Smok Mag Grip 100W (I know it's a single-battery mod, just an example of what I am not looking for).
  • Available as just the mod and not a starter kit with a subohm tank, or a starter kit which includes a decent RTA instead of a prebuilt coil tank.
  • Priced under $75 is preferred, but will spend more if it is justified. I'll set my hard limit at $150.
  • A Wismec / Joyetech / Eleaf mod which supports ArcticFox or RedPanda firmware is greatly preferred. List of compatible devices.
  • If not ArticFox or RedPanda compatible, a device with a preheat function which allows you to set a percentage instead of an absolute wattage number is preferred. This allows you to use the same preheat options with multiple RDA's with different builds. For example, allowing a preheat of 120% makes it possible to use builds whose "baseline" wattage is 50 watts or 100 watts without having to change the preheat setting. Set the wattage to 50, and the preheat will be 60 watts. Set the wattage to 100, and the preheat will be 120 watts. If a mod only allows you to set an absolute wattage for the preheat value, you would need to set both the base wattage and the preheat wattage for each individual build.
  • A device which is not ArcticFox / RedPanda compatible and does not have a "percentage" preheat function is acceptable if there are no other options.
  • A bright and higher-resolution monochrome screen is preferred over a dimmer and lower-resolution color screen.
  • Physical buttons for adjusting settings is preferred over a touchscreen.
  • A squonker is not needed or even sought. I am constantly switching flavors, and it is rare for me to go through more than ~1.5 mL of a specific flavor before switching to something else. For the rare times I do, I use an RTA. But if there is a squonker which matches my preferences better than any non-squonker available, I will consider it.
But the most important thing is a durable finish. I've been "babying" my eVic Primo 2.0 – never dropped onto a hard surface, very careful to not carry in a pocket with keys, spare change, or anything else which can nick the finish, etc. – and it is still flaking off, exposing the bright metal underneath. It looks like crap.

The eVic Primo 2.0 comes in a brushed bronze version and is still available from FT, but I am not sure if it is just a painted finish like the other colors, or if it actually is brushed bronze which would only get scratched instead of chipping / flaking off.

Any suggestions are appreciated. I'm not expecting a bulletproof finish that will hold up to abuse. I just want to be able to find something that won't look horrible several months down the line, even when taken good care of like I did with my eVic Primo 2.0.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
I’ll throw the ageis legend on the table even though it doesn’t tick all of your boxes. You’ll want a version with silver buttons and bezel. It may not be the best choice for you. The largend is the current undisputed champion of durability though which is why I mention it. I’m not super enthused about their chip. I don’t TC on it though so it matters little to me.

One thing that might work for you if you want a single battery mod is a JAC Sandstorm. It’s got a dna75 chip in it, which arguably beats arctic fox.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
Almost any of the lost vape mods. They have pretty good finishes. Look for something that is anodized instead of painted. Almost all the ones I have posted in the "pic of you mod" are anodized. That doesnt wear off
The paint on the black ones (I bought the only remaining therion I could find. Color choice wasn’t an option) does wear but at least it’s not bubbling and flaking.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
geekvape_aegis_legend_Mod__60491.1530783478.jpg

GeekVape Aegis Legend Mod under $60

smoked25years

ECF Veteran
Mar 8, 2018
Almost any of the lost vape mods. They have pretty good finishes. Look for something that is anodized instead of painted. Almost all the ones I have posted in the "pic of you mod" are anodized. That doesnt wear off

Anodized aluminum has a hardness of around 60 on the Rockwell scale so it is MUCH more durable than paint. But it will still wear and scratch (the anodized handles on an old Swiss knife are an example). Not nearly as bad as paint though. I wish more mods used anodized aluminum instead of the painted zinc alloy that is more common these days.

DSCN0410.JPG

dc99

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 17, 2014
earth
Anodized aluminum has a hardness of around 60 on the Rockwell scale so it is MUCH more durable than paint. But it will still wear and scratch (the anodized handles on an old Swiss knife are an example). Not nearly as bad as paint though. I wish more mods used anodized aluminum instead of the painted zinc alloy that is more common these days.

View attachment 782755
I agree but it cost more and its almost impossible to keep the color the same from batch to batch. Paint is cheap and powder coating is easier than anodizing.

Reactions: smoked25years
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread