Status
Not open for further replies.

Karla Lyle

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 27, 2011
Frederick, md
On my husband's Reo Grand we are having an issue. It seems like maybe it is getting WAY, WAY, too hot. The spring that touches the battery on the bottom is getting hot. I don't mean warm, I actually now have a blister on my thumb where I touched it not realizing how hot it was and the spring has now changed color and is staying compressed. On the top part where the button connects with the little metal piece that touches the battery melted onto the metal piece and was stuck to it. Has anyone ever experienced this? We used 4.8 v Nihm batteries and I was wondering if this could have caused it. I also have a Grand and am now wondering if I should not be using these batteries. I know a lot of people use these batteries so i am wondering why his melted? Thanks for your help. :)

BGabe

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 14, 2011
Indiana
The NiMH batteries should be fine in the Grand. SO 2 things could have happened. (1.) there is a short somewhere in the REO. (2.) the battery was possibly drained too low and is working much harder than it should. You've been at this for awhile, so I'm sure you know the ins and outs, but I'll say that the NiMH batteries have a much lower capacity than a standard 3.7v Li-ion. So they will need to be charged much more often. The spring is supposed to collapse in an event like this to protect you and your REO from an explosion or further damage. Could you take a picture with the door off so we can see what happened in there?

Karla Lyle

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 27, 2011
Frederick, md
I can try. I don't have the best camera so I don't know how much you can see but I will try to get a pic in the next hour. I have 3 kids here 3 and under so I am sort of on their schedule so I will see if they will let me. :laugh:

Thanks for your help. I actually am still learning. I thought all this time I was vaping my grand at 5 volts with an 18650. I just found out about a week ago I wasn't. Thought the power was lacking a bit. The 4.8v I am using is 600 Mah and does seem to need to be changed more often than the 18650 but the batteries are brand new. Only had them maybe 2 days. Is it possible something could be wrong with that battery? I also am using a Grand with the same 4.8 Nihm batteries and haven't had an issue on mine. What might cause a short? It is sanded a bit on the inside for use with a Kick. Could that do anything?

BGabe

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 14, 2011
Indiana
Trust me. I have 2 year old twins and a 6 year old. Take all the time you need. lol If the batteries are brand new then I would definitely be contacting the vendor. And definitely don't try to use that battery again as it could cause worse damage now that this has happened. The sanding for the kick COULD have caused something but it's highly unlikely. Is it sanded at the bottom or the top? What ohm carto / atty were you using with the 4.8v battery? There is no protection on the NiMH, that could have had something to do with it as well.

On a side note, what ohm atty / carto were you using with the 18650s? I too was a 5v junkie until I put a 1.8ohm Cisco 306 on an IMR 14500 battery @3.7v. That is a beautiful vape.

Karla Lyle

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 27, 2011
Frederick, md
Trust me. I have 2 year old twins and a 6 year old. Take all the time you need. lol If the batteries are brand new then I would definitely be contacting the vendor. And definitely don't try to use that battery again as it could cause worse damage now that this has happened. The sanding for the kick COULD have caused something but it's highly unlikely. Is it sanded at the bottom or the top? What ohm carto / atty were you using with the 4.8v battery? There is no protection on the NiMH, that could have had something to do with it as well.

On a side note, what ohm atty / carto were you using with the 18650s? I too was a 5v junkie until I put a 1.8ohm Cisco 306 on an IMR 14500 battery @3.7v. That is a beautiful vape.

I agree 1.5-2.0 is pretty good at 3.7 but since we thought it was 5v we were using 3 ohms wondering why the cheap plastic battery box mod was vaping better than the Reo. :laugh: I also use a 2 ohm .357 on 3.7v and it's great too. I just like being able to have options. This is why I love VV but I like a few different flavors so I need a few PV's. What does no protection mean exactly? Other than the fact that it can blow your face off? Does that mean if he did put a 1.5 atty on it it could do that? I am not sure what he was using. I will ask him.

I will try to get pics in a few minutes. I am feeding the baby as I sit here so when I get up. 2, 2 year olds huh? :ohmy: I know how you feel. I have a 3 yr old, 2 yr old and 8 month old. At least you have a 6 year old to help out a little.

Karla Lyle

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 27, 2011
Frederick, md
You can pull the spring back up, but Rob from REO recommends against this because once the spring has collasped, it won't collapse again. I would spend the $4 to order a new spring assembly from reosmods.com. It would be much cheaper than a face transplant.
Yea I did pull the spring back up. that's how I burned my finger. :glare: I did not realize it was as hot as it was. It was as hot as a stove top. Seriously. Left spring shaped burn marks on my thumb which are now blistered. Kind of scary thinking that was up against a battery. I will have to take pics tomorrow. life got in the way. I did not know the spring was designed to collapse. I just thought it got so hot it stayed compressed. So if the spring did not collapse would it have blown up? Scary. :ohmy:I know nothing about battery safety. Guess I need to do some more reading. What about the button? I looked on Reosmods for an extra button and they don't see those. Maybe I can PM Rob? Thanks. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread