Any idea what this lathe might be worth?

Status
Not open for further replies.

asdaq

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
poland, and the brassy lands of google
I stumbled upon this in the basement at work the other day, it's old slightly rusty and missing parts, especially the chuck. The motor seems to be there but I have no idea if it runs. It's semi abandoned and covered by junk that is one step away from the trash. The parts I could reach worked allright mechanically, and it is built into a table/cabinet stand. It's a bit big for me to store anywhere useful, but where there is a will there is a way. It seems to be something like a Shopsmith wood lathe combined with a table saw grinding wheel.

Would it be worth the effort of trying to bring it back to life? The price would be close to free for the unit itself, but for all the missing parts?

IMG_20140606_084919.jpg

asdaq

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
Unfortunately this was about the only angle I could get a pic from, that giant coil of cable is blocking a decent view of the motor and there is a huge roll of cardboard to the right. If I had to guess it would be from the 70s or 80s judging from the platform material and possibly east German or Russian if not Polish. It looks like a more modern cutting disk was put on it and the power cable doesn't look too old, so there are higher chances that it still runs. The washer looks like it fits under the chuck, so maybe this is where it stood when that was removed.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Nonalog

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 5, 2013
Oregon
I can't quite see how the check would be attached at the far end of the lathe in the picture. Being a wood lathe, you might want to look and see if there's some kind of mounting plate nearby since those are common on wood lathes rather than real chucks (screw stock to plate, mount plate on lath, snug up headstock and off you go).

Since I mentioned headstock, the one pictured looks intact.

And like the addition of a cutting/grinding disc shows, you could always repurpose the parts: make a grinder, a buffer, simple horizontal borer, or something else that needs rotational motion. At least if the bearings are still in good shape.

asdaq

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
Oh, that shows how much I know about wood lathes, lol. If it's not meant for a chuck then I probably really don't want it. It's way to big with the stand for just a grinder. I'll poke around some more after the weekend just as this thing has my curiosity.

asdaq

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
Oh, that shows how much I know about wood lathes, lol. If it's not meant for a chuck then I probably really don't want it. It's way to big with the stand for just a grinder. I'll poke around some more after the weekend just as this thing has my curiosity. I tried the headstock as it was in reach and it doesn't seem to turn when loosened.

Oops, I edited in my quote.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread