Any interest in the Kick 2?

Status
Not open for further replies.

double_aa_ron

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 3, 2012
Austin, Texas
Looks like Evolv has an answer to the Sigelie kick, the Stomp, or what ever you want to call it.

tumblr_mqx08zfDLA1qc8949o2_1280.png

It goes up to 15 watts and you can use it with sub ohm coils (.5 ohms is the limit). It has 2 contacts for ground which is supposed to make it more reliable than the original. It also has a Low battery cutoff of 2.7v under load which should result is longer use between charges.

What I don't know is if they added reverse battery protection. I have killed two kicks because I put my battery in upside down. That's a lot of money I've lost in the blink of an eye. If Evolv has this sorted the new kick will be head a shoulders better than Sigelie's clone.

Now you can build a .8 ohm coil on a gennie and rock it at 15 watts getting a fantastic vape safly.

Here is a little blurb from Grimgreen's website.

Output Power- 5 Watts to 15 Watts
Output Voltage- 2 Volts to 6.3 Volts
Output Current- 6 Amps
Atty Resistance- 0.5 Ohms to 3.3 Ohms
Low Battery cutoff- 2.7v loaded
Synchronous rectified for maximum battery life (very efficient)
Step-up/Step-down capable (RBA/rda low Ohm friendly)
A couple of interesting things about this new Kick; It may look the same on the outside but it is a complete redesign on the inside, sorta a Stepford wife Kick. It is actually closer to a DNA20 than to the old Kick. It has a much lower battery cutoff and is a ton less finicky. We also compensated for the typical mech mod resistance, meaning it will give you very accurate and very consistent power at the coil. Oh and the price is the same as the original Kick :)

GrimmGreenIndustries - THE KICK2 DROPS IN Just when everyone in the...

double_aa_ron

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 3, 2012
Austin, Texas
Maybe I'm just too tired to think, but what's the point of being able to work with a 0.5 ohm resistance if the output is capped at 15 watts and the voltage is cut off at 6A?

Doesn't that mean the maximum voltage at 0.5 ohms is a little over 2.8 volts?

I guess you're in the irrelevant camp.

I'm personally excited about it. I never wrap a coil under 1 ohm. Now I can enjoy them at a consistent 15 watts.

ClippinWings

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 12, 2011
The OC
Now you can build a .8 ohm coil on a gennie and rock it at 15 watts getting a fantastic vape safly.

Quite simply... 0.8 Ohms and lower really isn't what I'd call "fantastic" at 15watts.

"In need of a fresh battery" is probably more accurate.

Sooner or later they'll make a Kick that has a 25 watt limit...

Then I may be interested.

Sent from my mobile, using Tapatalk... so ignore the typos. ;)

Last edited:

Kemosabe

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 21, 2011
Roe Dylin
Quite simply... 0.8 Ohms and lower really isn't what I'd call "fantastic" at 15watts.

"In need of a fresh battery" is probably more accurate.

Sooner or later they'll make a Kick that has a 25 watt limit...

Then I may be interested.

im confused as to how 15W is not a good vape. would you mind going into detail?

ClippinWings

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 12, 2011
The OC
Sorry let me rephrase that, if there advertising .5 ohm and 15 watt cap... How does that even work.. Correct me if im wrong..

By my math, it works at 2.7 volts.

LOL... I'm actually not sure that would fire...

You'd probably have to hold the button down for > 20 seconds just to heat it up... sort of.

ClippinWings

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 12, 2011
The OC
im confused as to how 15W is not a good vape. would you mind going into detail?

I routinely vape 0.8 @ around 20 watts (fresh off the charger)

By the time I decide it's gone weak and needs a new battery... I'm at around 17 watts (3.7v)

15 watts at .8 ohms is 3.4v... clearly below my threshold for a "fantastic" vape.

I'd LOVE a Kick that could do 25 watts with at least a 6 amp limit.

I could then safely vape .8 at a consistent 4.4v would would be EPIC... I could wrap a 26awg coil that would heat rapidly... Bliss.

Last edited:

Kemosabe

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 21, 2011
Roe Dylin
I routinely vape 0.8 @ around 20 watts (fresh off the charger)

By the time I decide it's gone weak and needs a new battery... I'm at around 17 watts (3.7v)

15 watts at .8 ohms is 3.4v... clearly below my threshold for a "fantastic" vape.

I'd LOVE a Kick that could do 25 watts with at least a 6 amp limit.

I could then safely vape .8 at a consistent 4.4v would would be EPIC... I could wrap a 26awg coil that would heat rapidly... Bliss.

thanks for that. i guess i wont really know what its like unless i try what youre describing. its hard for me to wrap my head around 15W being low. 12W for me is very high, so in my mind there is 0% chance of 15W being low. it just doesnt make any sense. sorry for my ignorance, but im sure you can see where im coming from.

maybe it has something to do with the fact that its a sub-ohm build. for example, would you consider 15W on a 2Ω coil low as well? how many watts would you put through a 2Ω? or maybe youve completely abandoned anything over 1Ω...

ClippinWings

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 12, 2011
The OC
thanks for that. i guess i wont really know what its like unless i try what youre describing. its hard for me to wrap my head around 15W being low. 12W for me is very high, so in my mind there is 0% chance of 15W being low. it just doesnt make any sense. sorry for my ignorance, but im sure you can see where im coming from.

maybe it has something to do with the fact that its a sub-ohm build. for example, would you consider 15W on a 2Ω coil low as well? how many watts would you put through a 2Ω? or maybe youve completely abandoned anything over 1Ω...

15 watts on 2 ohms wouldnt be low... in fact, I think it may burn juice.

Its not about watts... its about wire temp... in order to get a sub ohm coil that's more than about 2 wraps... you use lower resistance, thicker wire, which heats differently.

I HAVE completely abandoned anything over 1.0... its just impossible to get the same vapor and flavor.

Last edited:

Royaldrunker

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 26, 2012
Vancouver
I was always under the assumption, that using ohms law that the ohm your coil is built at is what the wattage will burn at..

I dont have the calculator handy but if its .7 ohm in a mechanical at 4.0volts it would be 22 watts at 5.7 amps until such time your battery gets low..

Im not referring to your vv vw mod..(1.2ohm max)

So if your caping it at 15 ohm, that doesnt seem like it would be close to burning the juice properly

Last edited:

double_aa_ron

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 3, 2012
Austin, Texas
15 watts on 2 ohms wouldnt be low... in fact, I think it may burn juice.

Its not about watts... its about wire temp... in order to get a sub ohm coil that's more than about 2 wraps... you use lower resistance, thicker wire, which heats differently.

I HAVE completely abandoned anything over 1.0... its just impossible to get the same vapor and flavor.

You could do a micro coil or just a regular old coil with 30 gauge kanthal at 2 ohms on a gennie or a dripping attie and run it at 15 watts. That would be a fantastic vape. I personally don't like much over 15 watts (with 18 as my max). It's just too much IMO.

I'm not saying it's for everyone, but it is a huge improvement over the original kick.

muzichead

Resident Knucklehead
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 7, 2011
Illinois
The thing most people misunderstand about the Kick is the regulation of the vape. It's not geared toward everyone!!! When you set it to a preferred wattage, it remains said wattage for the entirety of the battery life. This is exactly the reason I use one. I set it to 10w and whether the battery is fresh at 4.2v or depleted at 3.4v it is the same 10w vape... I hated the gradual drop of the unregulated vape. The drop from 4.2v to 3.9v was ok, but anything below that it became very noticeable and unsatisfactory... I prefer to have a consistent vape every time and sub ohm vaping can't deliver that and never will!!! Now with the newer version I can get an even longer consistent vape since the shut off will now be 2.7v. Brilliant...

ClippinWings

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 12, 2011
The OC
"Never Will" is a bold, and likely incorrect statement.

I bet 10 years ago you never thought you'd be vaping.

That said, my sub ohm vape is pretty damn consistent... But mainly because I go through 2 aw imr batteries a day... I just don't see a reason to deal with voltage drop so change them out soon as I notice a change.

Problem for me with a Kick... A 10 or even 15 watt vape is just not enjoyable anymore... I mean I used to like that vape, with standard 510 doing atties... But it just can't compare to the favor and vapor I get now.

muzichead

Resident Knucklehead
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 7, 2011
Illinois
"Never Will" is a bold, and likely incorrect statement.

I bet 10 years ago you never thought you'd be vaping.

That said, my sub ohm vape is pretty damn consistent... But mainly because I go through 2 aw imr batteries a day... I just don't see a reason to deal with voltage drop so change them out soon as I notice a change.

Problem for me with a Kick... A 10 or even 15 watt vape is just not enjoyable anymore... I mean I used to like that vape, with standard 510 doing atties... But it just can't compare to the favor and vapor I get now.

Maybe the choice of words I used were not the best for you to understand. Let me clarify, (though I already have if you read my full post), so as you can understand it better...

Sub-ohm set-up... Where do you see the consistency? I see no consistency at all! 3watts is a huge difference in my vape, let alone 7watts!!! I think that would make your statement incorrect!!!

.8Ω build @ 4.2v, (fresh battery), = 22.05w
.8Ω build @ 3.9v, (partially depleted), = 19.01w
.8Ω build @ 3.7v, (partially depleted), = 17.11w
.8Ω build @ 3.5v, (partially depleted), = 15.31w, I think you can see where this is going!!!

Kick installed and set to 10w... and stays the same regardless what the battery depletion is...

1.5Ω atty @ 4.2v-3.4v, (fresh to partially depleted battery), = 10w
2.0Ω atty @ 4.2v-3.4v, (fresh to partially depleted battery), = 10w
2.5Ω atty @ 4.2v-3.4v, (fresh to partially depleted battery), = 10w

I stand by my words... Sub-ohm coils will never vape consistently on their own without any kind of regulation!!!

I understand why and get the fact that there are a some people that enjoy the sub-ohm 20+watt vape, (but to a vast majority of vapors), we don't and we prefer a consistent vape and are glad to see that Evolv is working to at least raise the limit higher than 10 watts. What I don't get is why you have to keep posting that the Kick is basically useless because everyone vapes the same way you do... Its obvious they don't all vape the same as you...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread