Any Malaysian vapers here? Advice needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chan Jin Han

Feb 21, 2018
I've been vaping for around 5 months now and want to get into coil building. So I haven't been successful so far and learned about the gauge thumbrule rather late. I found that it's pretty hard to get lower gauges, anything of a higher gauge than 32g is practically nowhere to be found- I tried Shopee, Lazada, fb vape groups. And thought maybe I should have some shipped over. But before I go that direction, does anyone know where to get gauges thinner than 32g? I have some nichrome 26g and 30g with me and the claptons I made with this combination didn't work. And also, any fellow builders in Malaysia? Would love to hear from anyone at all.

Reactions: Letitia

Chan Jin Han

Feb 21, 2018
The problem with wire thinner than 32 gauge is it starts to resemble hair in its physical properties. It will snarl and break easily. The highest I’ve ever gotten is 40ga and I will not be buying it again. It’s just too annoying.
Yeah, I can imagine going 10g lower than the 30g I have, but for outer wraps and flavour, I heard you have to keep a 8-10g difference from the core?

BrotherBob

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2014
Sunnyvale,CA,USA
I've been vaping for around 5 months now and want to get into coil building. So I haven't been successful so far and learned about the gauge thumbrule rather late. I found that it's pretty hard to get lower gauges, anything of a higher gauge than 32g is practically nowhere to be found- I tried Shopee, Lazada, fb vape groups. And thought maybe I should have some shipped over. But before I go that direction, does anyone know where to get gauges thinner than 32g? I have some nichrome 26g and 30g with me and the claptons I made with this combination didn't work. And also, any fellow builders in Malaysia? Would love to hear from anyone at all.
Welcome and glad you joined.
I see 36ga A1, these folks manufacture the wire.
Could contact:
http://www.temcoindustrialpower.com/products/Resistance_Wire/RW0117.html

suprtrkr

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2014
Cowtown, USA. Where the West begins.
Hi and welcome. I know nothing about suppliers in Malaysia, but I'll agree those hair-fine wires are hard to work. I don't know of any ironclad rule regarding gauge differential between core and wrap wires. Electrically, the core wire will carry the vast majority (over 90%, usually) of the current loading, while the outer wraps do no more than provide additional surface area, usually no matter how great or small the differential. This is because the wrap wire is a lot longer than the core wire, and usually thinner. Heck, the core and wraps don't even have to be the same material. Experiment. Live a little. I had some pre-made wires I bought that used a 26ga KA1 inner core, wrapped with a 1x.5 ribbon, also KA1. That's a pretty big boost in surface area, but it takes a long time to heat up, especially if you want to run it on a mechanical.

• Useful
Reactions: Letitia

hiclass

ECF Veteran
Aug 11, 2016
Hi and welcome. I know nothing about suppliers in Malaysia, but I'll agree those hair-fine wires are hard to work. I don't know of any ironclad rule regarding gauge differential between core and wrap wires. Electrically, the core wire will carry the vast majority (over 90%, usually) of the current loading, while the outer wraps do no more than provide additional surface area, usually no matter how great or small the differential. This is because the wrap wire is a lot longer than the core wire, and usually thinner. Heck, the core and wraps don't even have to be the same material. Experiment. Live a little. I had some pre-made wires I bought that used a 26ga KA1 inner core, wrapped with a 1x.5 ribbon, also KA1. That's a pretty big boost in surface area, but it takes a long time to heat up, especially if you want to run it on a mechanical.

The real problem is thick wire coil take longer to cold down. That means if you run under TC mode, chain-vaping will be mostly unpleasant - in a lengthy draw, you will find most of the time your mod is skipping instead of heating.
IMO, we need a mod with real heat sensor in order to get a practical and pleasant TC chain-vaping.

Reactions: suprtrkr

suprtrkr

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2014
Cowtown, USA. Where the West begins.
The real problem is thick wire coil take longer to cold down. That means if you run under TC mode, chain-vaping will be mostly unpleasant - in a lengthy draw, you will find most of the time your mod is skipping instead of heating.
IMO, we need a mod with real heat sensor in order to get a practical and pleasant TC chain-vaping.
Good point. I never thought about it because I don't use TC. A thermal sensor is an interesting idea. It's hard to see how one would go about it without mounting such a sensor within the topper itself. Contact sensors are cheap-- pennies each-- but are too big. Thermal IR sensors aren't much if any smaller and run from 15-250 bucks, depending on thermal range and accuracy level. All would require additional electrical connections between the atty and the mod, and be impervious to juice contamination, and with some way to avoid attenuation through the sensor window (teeny tiny windshield wipers, maybe, lol). Maybe in a hybrid mod/atty combo where you couldn't change the topper...

No, with state of the art tech, I don't see that happening. Or not soon, anyway, or for a reasonable price. The standard 4-wire Kelvin rig we use now is accurate enough for single wires, but doesn't do much for Claptoned coils. Hhhmmm... I can't think of a way off the bat. We need an electronics guy in on this.

Reactions: hiclass
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread