any one new to e-cigs must read this

Status
Not open for further replies.

icemanmaz

ECF Veteran
Aug 6, 2008
U.K. Halifax West Yorkshire
I have been looking at all the new posts over the last few days and had to post this.

All newbies take note this is very important read it all.

I myself was a newbie once and I got myself a kit and some carts.
THIS WAS A BAD MISTAKE.
1 atomiser 2 batteries 1 charger and 300 carts.
I thought that's all I need.

The new atomiser was great and when the battery ran out I changed it with the fully charged spare and put the dead one on charge. When the second battery died I went to the charger still charging (it took another 1 hour) this happened all the time.
don't just but 1 kit you will be well dissapointed.
You will think the e-cig is a waste of time.
If you live in the UK buy your stuff from SMOKSTER OR PILLBOX.
If you want to quit the fags this what you need.

THIS IS WHAT I WOULD CALL THE MINIMUM.
I would get more but this is the bare min.

3 Atomisors
5 batteries
3 Chargers
1 bottle e-liquid
loads of carts 100 at least.

The above will cost you £100 ish thats about 400 fags.
I know its a big amount at the start but is your life worth £100
I spent £300 in the first moth buying a load of rubish then I found SMOKSTER OR PILLBOX.
in the USA I hear Cashmere is good or you can talk to some of the USA users.
I dont want to repeat myself but I must if you want to give this a good go spend at least £100 if not £100 to £300 on plenty of stuff and plenty of spares.
If you stop and you dont need them any more you can always sell them on e-bay.
DONT BUT A KIT
I know I am going on a bit but if I can stop one person from smoking normal fags or save one life from cancer caused by smoking this will be worth while,
So what will it be £300 on a super starter kit (And I dont even sell the stuff)( SUPPLIERS YOU OWE ME LOL) or you die a long and slow death from cancer and you also spend £1000000000 on fags. :evil::evil::evil::evil::evil:

ned Zeppelin

ECF Veteran
Jul 24, 2008
uk
I totally agree with you with a majority of this as you do need two units if you are a heavy smoker you will get through three to four batteries a day and allowed up to five carts day depending on which model.
Two units will give you a four batteries anyway but I do agree with lots of cartridges but if you bought 100 of the same flavour that could mean trouble for some people not liking that particular flavour as you know it does take time to discover which flavour that suits you so go for more of a mix.
But the biggest problem is getting hooked on trying various electronic cigarettes and cartridges and liquids which we have spent around £2000 in 10 weeks trying everything out there but it has been so much fun and enjoyable but you also kept our minds off smoking real cigarettes and has also given us so much information to share with others

TheEmperorOfIceCream

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 1, 2008
London, UK
good post, Ice. My big recommendation is to have 4 chargers and (at least) 5 batteries. That makes a device full-time for me. If I don't have at least that many it's an occasional use toy. I've just bit the bullet on my Janty KB Classic and have extra batts and chargers coming. It's been great as a now-and-then-er - we'll see how good it is as the lead cig.

Emp

Kate

Moved On
Jun 26, 2008
UK
Very good advice here. I'd just like to add something for anyone on a tight budget who has never tried ecigs.

To start off, not everybody swaps from cigs to ecigs, some find that they don't like ecigs. It's a pity to make a big investment if you're not sure it's for you.

Smokester and Pillbox deliver very quickly, sometimes the day after ordering. There are also speedy services in the States and as far as I can tell Europe. You might need to consider different strategies if you live anywhere else.

It's not necessary to buy everything at once. You can choose to buy one decent generic and just a few cartridges to try it out. If you take to it then it won't take long to get your hands on all the other supplies you'll want, listed in the posts above. Buying everything at once only makes sense if you know you have a good supplier, price, device, flavour and you like vaping already. OR if you might have shipping problems or delays.

Once you get a few weeks or months into the experience you'll probably want to invest in something posher than a generic. Decent guarantees can make posh brands cheaper in the long run, replacing generic components adds up long term.

Nice Post/warning/Information Ice.
Hello, My Name is Steele, and I'm a Noob..hehe

Only thing is, I would Not want to scare off noobs to E-cigs with those "Requirements".
By your Numbers I could just not justify $200-$600us all at once. Money is real tight for a lot, and i am sure its not just here in the States.

Warning that you will not be able to use it 18 hours straight on 2 batteries, and replace a 2.5pack a day habit right out of the box, is a great idea.

Only reason I knew that was, I always read everything i can find before jumping into something I dont know anything about. Like E-cigs :D

icemanmaz

ECF Veteran
Aug 6, 2008
Very good point Kate If you are just wanting to try it out a basic kit is ok with a few flavours.
What I should of said was If you are going to use the e-cig to stop real fags all together you realy need to buy lots of batteries and chargers like Emp said.
I made the mistake of buying a starter kit only and it was a nightmare having to wait for the charger.
What I should have done is worked out how much I was going to spend on fags for two weeks and used this to buy e-cigs in my case it was about £10 a day so I should of spent £140 I could of got.
Mini Starter Pack x3
Mains Charger
USB Charger
Battery
100 Cartridges
That would of give me 7 batteries 5 chargers 3 atomisors and with the starter kit offer 145 carts.
If only I could turn back the clock.:D

trog100

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 23, 2008
UK
some cheap chinese chargers dont seem to like the UK 240 volts system overly much.. i have several that have died on the mains input but still work perfectly when the 12 volt option is used..

most are sold to the 110 volt american market and even thow they are dual rated 110/240 rated dont really like the 240 option..

but two generic kits and some spare atomizers and batteries should keep anybody going for a while.. but it has to be cheap generics the brand names work out way to expensive to use this system..

also with the little super mini latest type e cig expect if u are a real 20/30 a day man to find the carts only to last the equivalent of two or three real cigs at the most.. some of the makers claims are fraudulent rubbish..

if u have to have the small cart super minies buy liquid to top them up else expect to spent a fortune on carts.. six carts per day is about what to expect if u want to really feed your nic habit as opposed to giving up..

i get thru 2 ml of liqiud per day.. this would equate with 8 super mini carts per day..

not exactly viable from a cost point of view..

trog

Last edited:

icemanmaz

ECF Veteran
Aug 6, 2008
I know what you mean trogg I seem to be topping up my cart every hour. Its a shame you could not get a bigger cart. One thing that I have also noticed some carts seem to last longer than others. After pulling the foam out to clean it I have found them to be different sizes and from trying different amounts I have found that a small amount of foam topped up with liquid is a lot better and it seems to last longer

trog100

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 23, 2008
UK
I know what you mean trogg I seem to be topping up my cart every hour. Its a shame you could not get a bigger cart. One thing that I have also noticed some carts seem to last longer than others. After pulling the foam out to clean it I have found them to be different sizes and from trying different amounts I have found that a small amount of foam topped up with liquid is a lot better and it seems to last longer

there seems to be a basic rule at work.. small carts give up their fluid better than big ones..

but some amounts..

pipe... 2 ml..

classic/pen ... 1 ml..

901 type mini.. .6 ml..

super minies .25 ml..

they all cost roughly the same and one ml of 16 mg fluid equals about ten real cigarettes..

so allowing for what gets left in the cart..

classic.. 16 mg equals say 6 or 7 cigarettes

901 mini.. 16 mg equals 3 or 4 cigarettes

super mini.. e16 mg equals 2 or 3

this is nicotine levels not puff counts..

the cart size affects the cost big time.. i drip or top up mine so doing this it dosnt matter what the cart size is.. but the super mini is a pain to drip.. the 901 type is best..

an 8 ml dripping bottle is essential..

but i recon it takes xxx liquid to produce xxx vapour.. clouds of vapour need lots of liquid.. he he

trog

trog100

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 23, 2008
UK
Great research! Finally some "real world numbers"!

just to add all this "one cart equals twenty real cigs stuff is based on a puff count".. the maximum amounts of small puffs that can be got from a 1 ml cart.. it equates with the amount of puffs from twenty real cigs..

its bears no relationship at all to the nicotine intake.. the figures i have given are related to nicotine per cart.. and a real cig at 1.6 mg per cig..

real cigs go from very weak at .5 mg to very strong at over 2 mg per cig..

how many puff u take to empty the cart is up to u.. he he

i get thru 2 ml per day of 24 mg liquid.. this equates with twenty very strong cigs at 2.4 mg per cig.. or ten or so micky mouse 16 mg super mini carts..

trog

Last edited:

Jag1313

ECF Veteran
Aug 17, 2008
US-FL
..... i get thru 2 ml per day of 24 mg liquid.. this equates with twenty very strong cigs at 2.4 mg per cig.. or ten or so micky mouse 16 mg super mini carts..

trog

That is funny, I started with a super mini 6 weeks ago and did not smoke any "pyros" since, for me a micky mouse super mini cart with 11mg nicotine equaled one cigarette, smoked away in 10 minutes. I could not buy the cartridges so fast like I puffed them away and I changed 6 days later to a 901 just right in time when the super mini said Goodbye with a cleaning cycle. The 901 with topping off is like 3 - 4 cigarettes to me.
With the 901 I need 2 chargers and min 3 batteries to feel good and get over the day, refill or top off cartridges all the time.

Just to make sure that I got that right, the nicotine amount is based on 1ml right? 16mg per 1ml (1000 mg) juice?! Would not make sense when this is based on cart.

Kate

Moved On
Jun 26, 2008
UK
This is not meant to contradict Trog, I'm sure the maths is sound and very useful.

We might absorb nicotine from vapour differently so may need more or less than conventional cigs.

First off, we are administering the drug in a novel way that may or may not affect the way it is taken into our systems. Burning nicotine is not necessarily as efficient as vapourising.

Second, the chemical composition of the nicotine itself may different, 1mg of cigarette nicotine does not necessarily have the same potency of 1mg of eliquid nicotine.

Some people report overdose symptoms with esmoking, even though the maths suggests a lower dose of nicotine being inhaled.

One idea I've heard also is that when smoking, our lungs are coated with gunk and don't absorb efficiently but with esmoking our lungs are clearer and therefore can more efficiently absorb nic.

Ruby

ECF Veteran
Sep 5, 2008
Just wanted to thank you all for posting this useful info for pre-newbies like me. There was I thinking one e-cig would take me the golden mile.:rolleyes:

But better to know upfront...and pay upfront8-o. £150.00 odd on it's way out already and I know it's not going to stop there, I'm eyeing the janty too, the various dripping flavours already and I haven't even got my first kit yet...:oops:

I'm going to HAVE to do this like it or not:p.

icemanmaz

ECF Veteran
Aug 6, 2008
Just wanted to thank you all for posting this useful info for pre-newbies like me. There was I thinking one e-cig would take me the golden mile.:rolleyes:

But better to know upfront...and pay upfront8-o. £150.00 odd on it's way out already and I know it's not going to stop there, I'm eyeing the janty too, the various dripping flavours already and I haven't even got my first kit yet...:oops:

I'm going to HAVE to do this like it or not:p.

Glad someone is listening.
GOOD LUCK :thumb::D:thumb::D:thumb:

trog100

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 23, 2008
UK
however much different people have different feelings kate.. we really do need something that can be accepted as fact to work on..

the power of the human imagination is limitless but some things have to be accepted as fact at least until proven otherwise..

all this different strokes for different folks stuff is the stuff of ignorance and chaos..

trog

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread