Any randomized clinical trials showing that e-cigs help smokers quit?

Status
Not open for further replies.

windwalker

Unregistered Supplier
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan USA
www.akstonhughes.com
The study Mastodon linked to above is probably the most often cited one right now...

It's a really impressive study, because not only did they randomize with control and placebo, they also offered no guidance as to the use or protocols... Instead, they basically just gave people an a supply, and then measured what happened...
By the end of the study - 80% less cigarettes were being smoked across the group total... (there are a few statistical anomalies that make that number so high, they discuss these in the full report and offer an adjusted figure of 50% reduction in smoking)

What makes it even more impressive is that: "The Desire to Quit Smoking" was not pre-requisite in the random user sample. IE. The only requirement to participate was being a pack a day smoker.

For the complete 25 page long white paper (if you like that sort of thing): BioMed Central | Full text | Effect of an Electronic Nicotine Delivery Device (e-Cigarette) on Smoking Reduction and Cessation: A Prospective 6-Month Pilot Study

kjonesy

Moved On
Aug 13, 2011
Los Angeles
  • Deleted by oldsoldier
  • Reason: Afilliate link spammer

laylawguw

Moved On
Nov 21, 2011
New York
I think E - CIGS For smokers there is a certain benefit to help quit smoking. Its safety and clinical trials are checked. g.gif

Balthezar

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 16, 2011
Fayetteville, GA
As almost everyone in here will also say, they have gotten me off analogs for a month now. I was smoking for 35+ years, filtered and non-filtered. up to 2+PAD, quit the most cold turkey for a year, and this is a lot easier than that was. And the flavors you can get, taste so much better than the, 'stinkies' as some call them :)

Balth

frosting

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2011
Connecticut
Must agree with the rest here. Plenty of real life testimonial on ECF. Clinical multi-million/billion dollar research or not, it has to be safer then actual tobacco cigarettes. I'm not hacking my lungs out anymore, my teeth look better, I have less plague(sp?) on my teeth, I don't loose my breath with psychical activity nearly as fast.

When people around here say they feel like they have a new lease on life, they really mean it. The only reason clinical studies, evidence is not coming out fast enough is because the electronic cigarette industry doesn't have the pull like Phizer does with lobbyists,money, ect or even how BT does. Its sad that e-ciggs are getting a bad name all out of greed simply because some corporations have the money to slander it. How about the health of the people? If Big Pharm really gave a damn about you and your health, they'd be all over the benefits of these wonderful devices, but they are more concerned about their overpriced nicotine patches not selling.

frosting

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2011
Connecticut
Okay...so it sounds like the answer is "no", there are no randomized trials of e-cigs assessing their safety and efficecy for smoking cessation in comparison with other treatments. Not one published comparative study. Maybe thats why health professionals are hesitant to recommend them to the public?

Not True. Some doctors will recommend their patients use electronic cigarettes to stop smoking. I personally know someone who's doctor just did that and came to me for information on how to start using them.

mlinky

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 22, 2010
Kentucky
Okay...so it sounds like the answer is "no", there are no randomized trials of e-cigs assessing their safety and efficecy for smoking cessation in comparison with other treatments. Not one published comparative study. Maybe thats why health professionals are hesitant to recommend them to the public?

There is good evidence that they are considerably safer than smoking, see: http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/centers-institutes/population-development/files/article.jphp.pdf

As to their efficacy, why are you ignoring the link given to you of randomnized tests in your other similar thread? http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...ing-e-cigs-help-smokers-quit.html#post4575773

Last edited:

CUOFFRDGA

ECF Veteran
Aug 9, 2011
Ball Ground, GA
Yes and No.
You can find Anything on the Internet. So before I quit analogs and started Vaping I found out as much information about PG & VG as I could. I found that this information was a lot easier to find and Way less harmful that what is in analogs.
I've tried The Patch, Gum, Prescribed Drugs, got the Shots behind the ears, I only successfully kicked the analogs by going to Vaping.
Yes, I'm still using Nicotine, but I'm still getting Caffeine from my coffee to, so....... What?

Zogem

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 17, 2011
Atlanta
Perhaps.

But, you need to listen to peoples stories, and note the banners. There are a ton in this forum alone from people who have quit less than thirty days ago. I've personally tried to quit several times, and this is the one that's going to work. The fact I'm actually enjoying the alternative (as opposed to patches/gum) is the kicker.

If you are waiting for a government study, don't hold your breath. Big tobacco spends a ton of money in washington to protect their interests.

Don't wait for a study. Try it.. if it works for you, cool, if not, so be it.

Bethzilla

ECF Veteran
Nov 16, 2011
Oregon
Are there any clinical trials testing the safety of e-cigs and showing that they help smokers quit?

I think there was a recent efficacy study conducted in Italy. If I can find a reference, I'll come back and post a link.

Safety studies would be an absolute nightmare to conduct: even if it were shown that a certain e-cig used with a certain liquid were safe/unsafe, the results could not be generalized to the whole gamut of products and permutations. If you work for a regulatory agency, my condolences, as this situation must be quite challenging.

Michael Curry

ECF Veteran
Aug 7, 2011
Panama City, FL

I guess it depends on the health care professionals in question. My local store has a pretty impressive list of doctors in the area who back the use of e-cigs. The list is impressive not only because of the number of doctors, but also because of the names and who they are in the medical community.

Seems to me that there was something recently from the UK that was an official statement that recommended e-cigs.

mlinky

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 22, 2010
Kentucky
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread