Status
Not open for further replies.

WOW

ECF Veteran
May 14, 2010
CA
Has anyone tried this one?

thumbnail.asp

sorry for the earlier tiny graphic....anyone else get a configuration pop-up when adding a graphic?

This is the slow change LED one, btw, for kr808/901 carts. (site reviews are like 1st week. Curious on expected unit lifespan without needing soddered parts and/or if anyone knows if this vendor is more for DIY's/no repairs or similar to Ken's box mods on servicing?) The LED is seems the selling feature to not totally drain the batteries but also not sure if these are considered sealed or if juice can leak in?

min. 2 more wks on sale Rivas being stocked and this style was my initial mod choice for simplicity, size and cost for a 1st mod and backup. (one of these is sold out with an 'notify' option. Still not sure I hit the right one but liking the button on this one seeming a softer touch?

Any personal experience with this or links to other LED models (ecf vendors/US vendors, pls) would be very helpful.

TIA

Attachments

• dscf0105.jpg
    dscf0105.jpg
    1.7 KB · Views: 252
Last edited:

WOW

ECF Veteran
May 14, 2010
CA
I have one. It lasted me about a month before a wire burned out. There is no service on these, probably due to the low price. It does have a 2 week replacement warranty. I would probably pay the extra and get one of Ken's box mods. Hope this helps.

Ken's doesn't have the light on his (less could be better on something so compact) but, ya, his service offer is comforting to know is there. So, madvapes didn't do anything for you or were you able to find a way to fix yours?

WOW

ECF Veteran
May 14, 2010
CA
Just saw the vapestack...and the box mod...the stack looks cool too...

Kens is a good idea....
COV has some too...

I'm so unfamiliar with mods (for anyone who hasn't noticed, lol)....Is vapstack a company name based on the product name, like Ken's or the product name only that one or more companies carry?

Are these mods generally made by an individual ecf member who isn't a vendor, per se, then sold by vendors (I mean the ones under $60-70) or, again generally, made in bulk and shipped to US vendors who then give them a model # they're known by?

I've looked at COV at a least 2 dozen x....1 more time won't kill me, lol! I might even get it straight this time, lol!

thanks.

debb

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 12, 2010
in the nj woods
Vapestack is at Madvapes ..I just happened to see it when looking at the box mod you posted... I have heard about the stack...but never saw it...so I took notice..looks cool...I like the COV 3.7 stomp...thinking about getting one...but they are sold out right now...not sure where they are made...but I think it is usa...not over seas... :)

WOW

ECF Veteran
May 14, 2010
CA
I read there terms and conditions and it clearly states they will only acknowledge complaints within the 1st 14 days of delivery. I never bothered to contact them. Heck $23 for a months usage is still much less than the $180- $200 a month I would have spent on real cigs.

This is where I don't understand mods. If they don't have the longevity of PV or better, personally, I'd rather spend it on juice, from that angle or learn how to fix the more delicate ones. From a more hobby angle, it's a good deal to see how they work/are wired to make them last longer.

I think they'd make a great back up but without a VV or higher voltage, I don't see the advantage over a PV to save one charge/day unless you travel or, find one that directly feeds the cart. Then these make practical sense. It's ok to be impractical once in a while. Vaping, after all is fun and these seem like a good start up type for people like myself, who know very little about mods and is just not ready to try one with 25 different parts - to me the Riva has more than enough parts to boggle the mind.

..I'll sort it out....it just isn't going to be today, lol!

BiffRocko

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 2, 2010
San Diego, CA USA
This is where I don't understand mods. If they don't have the longevity of PV or better, personally, I'd rather spend it on juice, from that angle or learn how to fix the more delicate ones. From a more hobby angle, it's a good deal to see how they work/are wired to make them last longer.

I think they'd make a great back up but without a VV or higher voltage, I don't see the advantage over a PV to save one charge/day unless you travel or, find one that directly feeds the cart. Then these make practical sense. It's ok to be impractical once in a while. Vaping, after all is fun and these seem like a good start up type for people like myself, who know very little about mods and is just not ready to try one with 25 different parts - to me the Riva has more than enough parts to boggle the mind.

..I'll sort it out....it just isn't going to be today, lol!

There is no reason a mod shouldn't last as long as any mass manufactured PV if it's well put together. If something does go wrong in a mod, it's easy enough for someone with, or willing to learn, soldering skills to fix it.

The 3.7v box mod is about as simple as they come, especially if there is no LED. It's basically just a few wires completing a circuit with a switch in the middle. If one wire goes bad, it's a 5 minute fix. On the other hand, the $25 mega eGo battery that just died on me is a complete loss. Also, unless you're willing to use a KR-808, a mod is your only option for 3.7v vaping.

wolfstone5

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 1, 2010
Somerset, Pennsylvania
I have the AA box Mod and after three weeks of usage, I've concluded that it's awesome. It was fairly inexpensive and I wanted to give it a try. It wasn't much of a financial risk and I already had the batteries/charger. I had little expectation and I was really surprised. It's actually made very well, considering what it is, and is pretty tough. It has a sealed 510 connector and all the internal components have been hot glued. I've dropped it a few times, once being out on the street. I thought for sure that is was done for but....it's still going strong. All in all....at $23.99, it's one of the best deals out there. If it breaks, I get another.

acezzz

ECF Veteran
Sep 19, 2009
The box mod is the best thing ever invented in the ecig world. Its like having a huge mah battery to vape pretty much any atty/cartridge that is made for common ecigs on. The voltages can range from 3.7/5.0/7.4 or anywhere in between with an adjustable box. I have made all of these and some are almost a year old and still going strong. I would highly recommend the little black box. They are relatively inexpensive, not difficult to repair or build and give the best bang for your buck IMO.

WOW

ECF Veteran
May 14, 2010
CA
What is the difference, then between the voltage on a KR808 batt & PT and the Rivas? (I thought the PT were as high as and the Rivas the same voltage as the box mods) --- Not sure on the Riva but with an adapter, a KR808 can use 501 carts and depending where you get them a box of 5 can run as high as just over $13 or like $20 more in supplies/month! I don't/won't use atomizers or cartridges. I've had them break and the mess, for me, personally, is too time consuming not to mention, disappointing to enjoy vaping.

Thanks for the positive reviews, though - I'm still considering it but for the service warranty & reply time, Ken would seem to have the best deal. He can build in your choice of adapter but not sure how that could effect using carto adapters or the vape on the mod?

The other possible downside AFIK at this point, is if the on/off switch is enough safety (have not seen any cases for any box mods) and, again, the cart choice. With a 2-3 day ship time, he's got Janty, who can't reply in two weeks to either an e-mail or post, beat, imo.

just those ongoing, nagging questions that have me frozen into not trying any mod as a back-up cause it gets so tiring researching....on some other, more expensive mods, it's just crazy making that end-caps aren't sold with them!!! I mean I look at the cost then by the time you add basic parts sold separately, it's like shopping IKEA on assembly, which is fine if you know what you're doing. Just really don't want to find out later I needed another $60 in parts then have to ask another thread or two of questions to put something together - just not at that level and could take at least a couple vape meets to get 1/2 to the Precise, with the lifetime warranty....in the meantime....

....I'm still mod ignorant though got the most of types sorted out...actually ordering one, I think is an information deficit, partially because they all seem to be made for use with atomizers and just can't see from the graphics, if adapters would or could work the way I'd like them to.

Anyone else use these with carts instead, other feedback on the on/off switch being enough safety and/or voltage comparison to KR808s?

TIA & again, thanks!

There is no reason a mod shouldn't last as long as any mass manufactured PV if it's well put together. If something does go wrong in a mod, it's easy enough for someone with, or willing to learn, soldering skills to fix it.

The 3.7v box mod is about as simple as they come, especially if there is no LED. It's basically just a few wires completing a circuit with a switch in the middle. If one wire goes bad, it's a 5 minute fix. On the other hand, the $25 mega eGo battery that just died on me is a complete loss. Also, unless you're willing to use a KR-808, a mod is your only option for 3.7v vaping.

BiffRocko

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 2, 2010
San Diego, CA USA
The KR-808 runs at 3.7v. The Riva at 3.2v (as far as I know). Most PTs will run at 5v. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think 510 PTs with an inline battery run lower than 5v.

With adapters, you can freely switch between 510, 801, 901, and 808 (which is just a vented 901). The particular connector you use will have absolutely no impact on performance. The resistance of the atty or carto does though. This is because of Ohm's law. I=V/R (current = voltage / resistance). If you raise voltage or lower resistance, the current will go up. The higher the current, the warmer the vapor. Some people prefer warmer vapor, others don't. The taste of the juice can also change with more current.

I built my first 3.7v box mod last night. It took me 45 minutes from start to finish and most of that time was spent getting the holes drilled to the proper size because I didn't have the right sized drill bits. I have prior experience building electronics, but it's entirely possible for anyone willing to learn to solder to build one of these themselves. Without an LED it's a total of 4 solder points. All the parts (a 510 connector, a switch, the box itself, plus two batteries) cost me under $20 shipped from Mad Vapes. (I already had a charger.) It hits like a champ, especially with an LR 510 atty on it.

The on/off switches on these boxes are very solid. It possible that it could get turned on in a pocket, but I'll be less worried about misfires with this mod than any of my others. The only two mods that I'd consider completely pocket safe are the Saber Touch, which features a switch that's activated by skin conductance, and the GGTS which has a mechanical button lock.

Last edited:

WOW

ECF Veteran
May 14, 2010
CA
Wow! Thanks Biff! that helps alot!

Just to make sure I got it right - a 5v box mod would vape close to a PT, a box mod can use adapters and LR cart would vape cooler?

If that's correct...a 5v box mod with a 501 built-in thread could use an 901/808-501 adapter and use both KR808 and 501 carts? Did I get that right?

If so, are the carts with the O ring LR or HR?

If the Riva is only 3.2v, I don't get why it's so popular unless plugged in it goes over 5v, which seems unlikely not to mention inconvenient.

It would take a lot to completely tear me away from KR808 batts cause of the feel and I've been wanting an XL anyway, but 5v vaping could probably slow down how much juice I go through, lol! Seriously, the PTs are great but a back-up is what the point was for me - then (OT)...I had to, of course, stumble on the Precise.... ;-)

I couldn't make a box mod....not yet anyway... :blush:

The KR-808 runs at 3.7v. The Riva at 3.2v (as far as I know). Most PTs will run at 5v. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think 510 PTs with an inline battery run lower than 5v.

With adapters, you can freely switch between 510, 801, 901, and 808 (which is just a vented 901). The particular connector you use will have absolutely no impact on performance. The resistance of the atty or carto does though. This is because of Ohm's law. I=V/R (current = voltage / resistance). If you raise voltage or lower resistance, the current will go up. The higher the current, the warmer the vapor. Some people prefer warmer vapor, others don't. The taste of the juice can also change with more current.

I built my first 3.7v box mod last night. It took me 45 minutes from start to finish and most of that time was spent getting the holes drilled to the proper size because I didn't have the right sized drill bits. I have prior experience building electronics, but it's entirely possible for anyone willing to learn to solder to build one of these themselves. Without an LED it's a total of 4 solder points. All the parts (a 510 connector, a switch, the box itself, plus two batteries) cost me under $20 shipped from Mad Vapes. (I already had a charger.) It hits like a champ, especially with an LR 510 atty on it.

The on/off switches on these boxes are very solid. It possible that it could get turned on in a pocket, but I'll be less worried about misfires with this mod than any of my others. The only two mods that I'd consider completely pocket safe are the Saber Touch, which features a switch that's activated by skin conductance, and the GGTS which has a mechanical button lock.

LynGBH

ECF Veteran
Jul 20, 2010
Not here.
I have the Little Sister VV, 3.7v and 5v box mods from Ken's www.boxmod.net and all are VERY well built. Once I get around to ordering a Big Brother, I'll have a full set!
He clearly takes pride in his work and services what he makes. Shipping is free, too! He's also an all around good guy.

I wouldn't even consider buying a box mod from anyone else.

classwife

Admin
Admin
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 9, 2010
Wesley Chapel, Florida
I have 2 of them...they work great. You do have to be careful to not let juice get inside at the connector. (I sealed mine off by smearing silicone around it with my finger...just a tad...). It is a cheap little work horse !!!. I thoroughly abuse mine...it's usually down in the bottom of my purse as my "back-up".

WOW

ECF Veteran
May 14, 2010
CA
I have 2 of them...they work great. You do have to be careful to not let juice get inside at the connector. (I sealed mine off by smearing silicone around it with my finger...just a tad...). It is a cheap little work horse !!!. I thoroughly abuse mine...it's usually down in the bottom of my purse as my "back-up".

This is probably going to seem like the dumbest question that ever originated out of CALIFORNIA, (lol!) but where do get silicone and where did you seal what so it didn't cut off the airflow or the threads on your mod???? :glare:

TIA

WOW

ECF Veteran
May 14, 2010
CA
I have the Little Sister VV, 3.7v and 5v box mods from Ken's www.boxmods.net and all are VERY well built. Once I get around to ordering a Big Brother, I'll have a full set!
He clearly takes pride in his work and services what he makes. Shipping is free, too! He's also an all around good guy.

I wouldn't even consider buying a box mod from anyone else.

I'm still debating the 3.7 vs the 5v. Any comparisons? (I haven't even gotten to the shipping yet. Free makes it that much easier! :) )

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread