Any Top Chef fans?

Status
Not open for further replies.

spike

ECF Veteran
Oct 15, 2008
London, UK
We are inundated with cheffy programmes in the UK (this may drop off as their restaurants close.....) - Masterchef probably the most watchable, or used to be, with aspiring amateurs, some turning out fantastic dishes. I spend a week each year in Boston; my husband works, I explore. A good walking city and favourite restaurant to date is No. 9 Park.

K-Sound Krew

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 20, 2008
Worcester
I think it was better when they had Anthony Bourdain on frequently.

I know, not one episode this year, he would have been a way better fill in for Gail then that Toby guy (man did I hate him)

I read kitchen confidential, it's a good quick read

Every season me and my wife pick our favorite during the first episode, I picked Stephan as my guy this year

K-Sound Krew

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 20, 2008
Worcester
I've never watched Top Chef but does anybody watch Good Eats with Alton Brown?

That's my favorite show.
I used to love that show when it was more about science, very informative,
I can't watch it any more... corny skits and bad jokes now take center stage; they ruined what I liked about the show

I used to like no reservations too, but even that's not the same

I know, not one episode this year, he would have been a way better fill in for Gail then that Toby guy (man did I hate him)

I read kitchen confidential, it's a good quick read

Every season me and my wife pick our favorite during the first episode, I picked Stephan as my guy this year

I read that too. I laughed all the way through it. I wish he wrote more. He was great as a judge though. "I would like this if I was drunk" might be the best food critique I have ever heard.

I picked Stefan right from the start. I thought Jamie would make it to the finale though. I skipped part one of the finale last week so I could watch it all together this week. So I have no idea who got the ax.

All in all I think this season is more interesting than the last one. I was going to throw something at the TV if I had to watch that guy Richard talk about how witty he was one more time.

K-Sound Krew

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 20, 2008
Worcester
Kinda true about Richard (he seemed very sincere and caring especially for his family) but there have been way worse

Tifanni and Stephen from season 1

But the worst was

Marcel with his stupid puppet head
and the rapping
and the stupid hair cut

If I got drunk enough I would have tried to shave his head too

Normally I feel bad when people are picked on or bullied, but not only did he deserve it but asked for it with his back handed comments and attitude

Yeah insane because if I was going to hook up with anyone it would be either Fabio or Stephan
:wub:

Hosea? yuck

There might be some truth to that.;)

But cheating on your significant other on TV is just a special kind of idiocy.

I do like the show though and watch it every week. Which is saying something because I didn't even own a TV until a couple years ago and I mostly use it for movies now.

But the worst was

Marcel with his stupid puppet head
and the rapping
and the stupid hair cut

If I got drunk enough I would have tried to shave his head too

Normally I feel bad when people are picked on or bullied, but not only did he deserve it but asked for it with his back handed comments and attitude

I'm with you on that one. Richard was at least a nice guy.

seamist

ECF Veteran
Feb 15, 2009
Pacific Northwest, WA USA
Go Carla go!!! :thumbs:

I was rooting for Jamie, bit of bad luck with the celery thing though. Stefan seems to have gotten lazy lately.

Really rooting for Carla as well.

I think Stefan is more arrogant than lazy, but he does seem to have the talent to back up the arrogance. And there's always the possibility that they edited to show that side of him more. At one point when Carla was asking for help, it sounded like he was the only one who responded to her, but they didn't show him helping her.

Hope Hosea keeps his sweat to himself instead of dripping it into the food - ugh.

Hootie Hoo!

Jammi98

ECF Veteran
Dec 9, 2008
Houston, TX
I felt sorry for Carla. She really should have stuck to her own food. The judges all raved about her appetizer and first course, and if she hadn't listened to her sous chef she may have pulled it out.

One thing I really liked about Carla this episode was that she refused to plate a bad item. All season they have shown chefs totally screwing up a dish and then still serving it. That's something I don't understand. Better to leave it off the plate and get dinged for it then to send out bad food IMO.

I'm not sure why the judges didn't like Stefan's dessert. One of them said it was too 80's but I didn't hear any bad comments about the taste? I didn't like Stefan's attitude all season, but the fact that he made dessert should have given him an edge over Hosea. I mean, isn't that how most people would end a several course meal?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread