billherbst

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2010
Columbia, Missouri
www.billherbst.com
Having gotten through the first half of November with some bucks to spend in my vaping budget, I was considering getting a third Kick for an unextended Bolt I've been using with 5-volt NIMH batteries, but I decided to order a Vamo from OKCVapes instead. I like my Kicks, but I thought, "Ah heck, with the Vamo I can use an 18650 or a single 18350 if I want a shorter profile---105mm rather than 136mm, which is pretty tall. Plus, I get a screen, resistance checking, and quick-change wattage if I want to fine-tune specific juices. Wattage regulation appears to be RMS-calculated, like The Kick, so my only risk is quality of construction and durability/longevity."

So, I ordered one today. This'll be my fourth variable wattage APV, besides the two Kicks (in an Omega and an extended Bolt) and a Madvapes Acrylimax. While I still use all my various VV mods, I'm getting hooked on the simplicity of variable power/wattage. I don't spend time determining (and remembering) a specific "sweet-spot" voltage for every juice, so I really like the set-it-and-forget-it aspect of VW. I can screw on any atty/carto/tank from 1.5-3.3 ohms and not have to think about where to set the voltage.

In addition, in those rare instances where a certain juice doesn't perform perfectly or taste quite right at my set wattage, the Acrylimax makes it easy to tweak the wattage up or down 1/2 or 1 watt by clicking buttons. The Vamo will be even easier than the Acrylimax, since it has no awkward "multi-click-and-wait" morse-code menu format.

For a couple bucks more than another Kick, I thought, "Why not?" Time will tell if my reasoning was accurate and plays out happily, or if Murphy's Law will rear it's nasty little head and make me the .... of the joke.

tnt56

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 30, 2012
Tripple digits half way to home

Johny Ringo

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 18, 2012
Las Vegas
Got Mine!

First impression, I like the feel of it it feels solid. The buttons feel well made. Figuring out how to work it was another story. From health cabin it comes in a plain box with nothing but the mod.

First try with a flat top 18650 was a no go, ran out and got a button top and it works great. So far have only tried it with a Vivi nova tank but it fits well and has no problems with the draw.

This is my first VW device and I don't have a meter so I can test it but so far it feels consistent running on the VW setting.

It is a little taller and a little wider than my Vmax with the 18650, but feels just as solid in the hand maybe more so. The button definitely feels nicer but has a rubber coating on it instead of hard plastic like the Vmax. Not sure how the rubber will stand up over time.

So far though For the price its a winner.

AnsonJames

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 23, 2011
IRELAND
Got Mine!

First impression, I like the feel of it it feels solid. The buttons feel well made. Figuring out how to work it was another story. From health cabin it comes in a plain box with nothing but the mod.

First try with a flat top 18650 was a no go, ran out and got a button top and it works great. So far have only tried it with a Vivi nova tank but it fits well and has no problems with the draw.

This is my first VW device and I don't have a meter so I can test it but so far it feels consistent running on the VW setting.

It is a little taller and a little wider than my Vmax with the 18650, but feels just as solid in the hand maybe more so. The button definitely feels nicer but has a rubber coating on it instead of hard plastic like the Vmax. Not sure how the rubber will stand up over time.

So far though For the price its a winner.

There's instructions on heathcabin's website.

http://www.healthcabin.net/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1132&products_id=8190

How to increase and decrease output voltage? (Please check graphic instruction)
1. Click the big button for 5 times in 2 seconds to turn it on. The default model is constant voltage.
2. Click the left mini button each time to decrease the voltage 0.1v.
3. Click the right mini button each time to increase the voltage 0.1v

How to check and display the atomizer's resistance? (Please check graphic instruction)
Press the right mini button for 3 seconds to show the resistance of atomizer

How to check and display the li-ion batteries'voltage?
Press the left mini button for 3 seconds to show the current voltage.

How to change mode 1 to mode 2? (Please check graphic instruction)
Press both 2 mini buttons for 3 seconds to switch between 2 modes.

How to increase and decrease output power? (Please check graphic instruction)
1. Switch to model 2 constant power.
2. Click the left mini button each time to decrease the power 0.5 Watt
3. Click the right mini button each time to increase the power 0.5 Watt.

How to install 1pc 18650 li-ion Battery or 2pc 18350 Li-ion battery?
Please check graphic instruction.

The eGo APV has the following protection functions: (Graphic instruction)
1. When you press the button 10 seconds or more, eGo APV will turn it off automatically.
2. When a single battery's voltage is less than 3.2v or double 18350 batteries voltage is less than 6.4v, the screen will display LO v, which indicates that the batteries need charge.
3. When you use an atomizer at 1.2ohm or less, the screen will display LO Ω, which indicates that you need to use a new atomizer at higher resistance.
4. When the atomizer you are using has a short circuit,the screen will display LO v.
5. When you put the li-ion battery wrongly inside eGo APV, it won't work or be damaged either.

I think that pressing the plus button for ten seconds allows you to switch between average power and VRMS power.

Last edited:

Seven and Seven

Verified Member
Oct 27, 2012
United States - Austin, TX

Seven and Seven

Verified Member
Oct 27, 2012
United States - Austin, TX
Just received the new chrome button version today and looks like they've addressed the possible battery issue.

IMAG0149.jpg

AnsonJames

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 23, 2011
IRELAND
I've Ordered one from Zainy yesterday, bought just the tube the batteries and the charger don't look like quality stuff 39USD shipped to me I think it's worth the try, just hope it comes with all the adjustments if It doesn't I'll take care of it myself!!

For less than the price of two Ego Twists you can't go wrong, by all reports the Vamo is good kit.

billherbst

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2010
Columbia, Missouri
www.billherbst.com
My Vamo arrived a couple days ago. So far, I like it. Great display. None of that low-res mangling of letters. RMS watt settings seem as accurate as my Kicks. It's fairly short in the single 18350 mode, which pleases me. I'm willing to do more frequent battery swaps to have the smaller length tube.

I haven't yet memorized how to check/change all the functions. Most are obvious, but the 3-second and 10-second double-button-hold ones aren't, so I still have to get out the Word file of instructions on occasion to remind myself how to make sure I'm in No2 RMS calibration---press and hold both buttons for ten seconds, duh. Anyway, I much prefer the Vamo's implementation of using buttons to set parameters rather than accessing a menu (i.e., ProVari, V/Zmax).

I also took a look at the positive center pin inside the tube, and mine is not centered. It's about 1mm away from the edge of the hole it peeks through, which I presume is part of the tube's negative ground. I haven't yet decided whether to try to gently move the pin back to the center of the hole. Wouldn't want to inadvertently short out the circuit board trying to prevent a problem that hasn't occurred. I did make a little electrical tape "donut" to keep the metal ring from inadvertently contacting the top of the battery. Safety first.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread