The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

Anybody else get this blow-off response from the White House regarding the petition we all signed?

Discussion in 'General Vaping Discussion' started by Taegost, Dec 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. Taegost

Taegost Senior Member ECF Veteran

Jul 6, 2010
    Tampa Bay, Fl
    Here is what they sent me:

[TABLE="width: 650"]
    [TR]
    [TD="width: 540"]

Protecting Public Health Through Safe and Effective TreatmentsBy Dr. Lawrence R. Deyton, M.S.P.H, M.D., Director of the Center for Tobacco Products at the FDA.
    Thank you for signing the petition "Recognize electronic cigarettes as an effective alternative to smoking and support job creation in this new industry."
    E-cigarettes may contain ingredients that are known to be toxic to humans or otherwise harm public health -- for example, if they are attractive to young people and lead kids to try other tobacco products, including conventional cigarettes, which are known to cause disease and lead to premature death. Because clinical studies of these products have not been submitted to the Food and Drug Administration (FDA), consumers currently have no way of knowing what types or concentrations of potentially harmful chemicals are found in these products, or how much nicotine people inhale when they use these products.
    FDA is taking steps, as authorized by the Family Smoking Prevention and Tobacco Control Act, to include electronic cigarettes under the agency's regulatory authority.
    However, in light of the lack of validated scientific data, including a lack of reliable indicators of nicotine and harmful chemical content, FDA cannot at this time conclude that electronic cigarettes are an effective alternative to smoking.
    Make no mistake, the Obama Administration shares your concern about the public health risks associated with cigarette smoking and is committed to helping Americans quit. Cigarette smoking poses a serious public health risk to our Nation, accounting for about one-third of all cancers, including 90 percent of lung cancer cases. On average, adults who smoke die 14 years earlier than nonsmokers. Nonsmokers exposed to secondhand smoke at home or work increase their risk of developing heart disease by 25 to 30 percent and lung cancer by 20 to 30 percent. A 35-year-old man who quits smoking will, on average, increase his life expectancy by 5 years.
    As someone who is clearly engaged on this issue, we also want to make sure you know about the Great American Smokeout, the American Cancer Society's nationwide campaign to encourage smokers to make a plan to quit. Watch a special video from President Obama and learn more about it here:
    [/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]

2. uba egar320

uba egar320 Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Dec 9, 2009
    WV
    Sure did. Just a little while ago as a matter of fact.

3. bryansthl

bryansthl Senior Member ECF Veteran

Jul 18, 2011
    PA
    I did and it looks like the future of vaping is DOOMED!!!

4. byggd

byggd Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

May 25, 2011
    So Cal
    E-cigarettes may contain ingredients that are known to be toxic to humans

However, in light of the lack of validated scientific data, including a lack of reliable indicators of nicotine and harmful chemical content, FDA cannot at this time conclude that electronic cigarettes are an effective alternative to smoking.

Key phrases here. Don't give up hope!!!!

5. yzer

yzer Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Nov 23, 2011
    Northern California
    FDA wants scientific studies to show what adverse health effects (if any) are associated with e-cigarettes. They also want standardized and accurate analysis of the ingredients contained in e-liquids.

I don't see the FDA picking on the e-cigarette industry in particular.

Probably the closest example of similar FDA regulation of a new industry happened with genetically modified foods during the 1980's and 90's. The industry itself had to prove the safety of it products to gain FDA approval. In the process, it was the GMO industry itself that developed the scientific and regulatory protocols that the FDA adopted. In effect, the industry regulated itself.

All of this research into the products and appropriate quality standards and regulations for GM foods cost a bundle. So much money that only large multinational corporations could afford to foot the bill.

The FDA could do all of the e-cig research itself but in this time of limited government resources it will be a long time in coming. People are also going to ask why taxpayer dollars are being spent when the tobacco industries in China and the USA have money to burn.

6. bryansthl

bryansthl Senior Member ECF Veteran

Jul 18, 2011
    PA
    E-cigarettes may contain ingredients that are known to be toxic to humans or otherwise harm public health -- for example, if they are attractive to young people and lead kids to try other tobacco products, including conventional cigarettes

What the heck dose the for example being attactive to yong people have to do with it haveing toxic ingredents. Sounds like a 0 tolerance to nicotine to me.

7. gregc4

gregc4 Senior Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Sep 19, 2011
    Vernon, CT USA
    I just saw the email. The same rhetoric that they package in the other petition responses I have signed. "Blah Blah Blah, we dont really care what you want, Blah Blah Blah".

8. Taegost

Taegost Senior Member ECF Veteran

Jul 6, 2010
    Tampa Bay, Fl
    yzer - That's a great point, and I definitely understand it. What has me miffed is the verbiage they used... That example about toxicity and teens is a great example, but mostly, the only thing he said that addressed the topic is about the FDA taking the steps to get it under their regulatory umbrella. I would have liked to see more regarding the lack of scientific evidence, such as "The FDA is looking into running studies" or even a simple "We don't have the resources to run the studies, but look on our web site <here> to get information on how to get a self-funded study going" or something along those lines.

9. byggd

byggd Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

May 25, 2011
    So Cal
    Obama "claims" to have quit smoking recently. He probably still puffs away hidden away in the Oval Office of the free smokes thrown his way!

10. Scottinboca

Scottinboca Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Oct 14, 2011
    Planet Vapton
    I got it and am not surprised!:evil:

11. Sa Da Tay

Sa Da Tay Moved On ECF Veteran

Nov 4, 2011
    Austin, Texas
    "if they are attractive to young people and lead kids to try other tobacco products, including conventional cigarettes, which are known to cause disease and lead to premature death."

Ahh, the Gateway Argument. Well, alcohol is attractive to young people and leads kids to try driving while intoxicated, which is a known cause of traffic-related premature deaths. Premature as in immediate. So....yeah.

12. WVvet

WVvet Senior Member ECF Veteran

Jun 11, 2011
    WV
    Got it. What a load of BS. In other words, you can die smoking cancer sticks or quit nicotine entirely (or buy big pharm's overpriced nicotine replacements). Their is no interest in harm reduction whatsoever. I just don't get it, do you? Very disappointed...

13. pianoguy

pianoguy Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Nov 4, 2009
    Apple Valley, MN
    Yeah, I got it, too. Boilerplate crap-ola.

14. Glam

Glam Ask me about NLV ECF Veteran

Jan 18, 2011
    La Salle, Illinois
    I saw From "The White House" on my email....and I thought "yeah right". I have always been told to not open any suspicious looking email..especially if not familiar. And I do not know anyone more suspicious than our government. So I deleted it. LOL.

15. carpedebass

carpedebass Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jul 10, 2011
    The Alamo City
    Way to go Washington...I'm so glad you have my best interests at heart and are there like a creepy uncle watching out for my welfare making everything illegal. :facepalm: So much for "the land of the free." :?:

16. Vapeterry

Vapeterry Senior Member ECF Veteran

Oct 3, 2011
    AR, USA
  17. bnrkwest

bnrkwest ECF Guru Verified Member ECF Veteran

Sep 6, 2011
    Somewhere out there
    Dang! Don't they know we are non smokers already using ecigs? If they think ecigs are a segway to smoking cigarettes how about cigarette smokers being a segway! LOL I had hoped for much more understanding. Ok still stocking up on supplies so I am prepared :) bnrk

18. zzooti

zzooti Senior Member ECF Veteran

Dec 3, 2011
    Brunswick, Maine
    Got mine too; total brush-off. We need to start a petition to have Dr. Deyton replaced with someone who isn't stuck in the 1900's

19. dragonlover

dragonlover Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Apr 26, 2011
    chicopee ma
    I think everyone got the same response. I actually sent an email directly to the White House after I received this and pointed out what the ingredients are, the links to Dr. Michael Siegal's and Health NZ's studies. I also commented that I felt this is more about losing tax revenues than it is about public health. I also said that come election time I will be asking the candidates what their stand on electronic cigarettes are.
    I also emailed Ron Paul and left a comment on a Facebook page of a local radio host here.

20. scalewiz

scalewiz Moved On ECF Veteran

Feb 17, 2011
    We all got exactly what we all expected. Just a bunch of crap about how they don't know squat about anything, and that SMOKING kills people and is bad for you. Really? Why do you think we are all here?

Just remember this when you go to the polls.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.