Status
Not open for further replies.

four2109

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 9, 2009
S. Indiana
I have a liter coming and I won't need to open it for quite some time. My freezer is dark, so I don't really see a need to but a bunch of amber bottles... I can wrap the jars.
This might be the last nic I ever buy.:)
Just wondering if anyone has had a problem with Mason jars, or what else you use.
I have pints and half pints.
TIA

four2109

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 9, 2009
S. Indiana
I put it right into the freezer if I need to break it up into smaller baches I fill it all the way to the top

I think it's coming in a plastic jug. That's why I was thinking about glass. I usually don't buy more than 120ml bottles, so I don't worry about it, but the times they are a changin'.;)

Rat2chat2

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 16, 2013
North Carolina
I have never even thought of this but I suppose I would be concerned with the metal lids. I prefer cone caps. I'm sure someone that knows for sure will tell you if this is okay, but I just would not chance it. I put mine in smaller bottles. I use amber but it is not necessary because I then put them in a thermal zippered lunch box. I do not do this for added protection. I do this in case of a fire and I have to grab my nic and go.
exit.gif

edger61

Moved On
Jan 31, 2015
Springfield, MO.
I have a liter coming and I won't need to open it for quite some time. My freezer is dark, so I don't really see a need to but a bunch of amber bottles... I can wrap the jars.
This might be the last nic I ever buy.:)
Just wondering if anyone has had a problem with Mason jars, or what else you use.
I have pints and half pints.
TIA
I don't have a clue, as to the oxidation/breakdown rate, and a what temperature rages this MIGHT occur at..

Str8vision

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2013
Sallisaw, Oklahoma USA
I've got 18 half pint canning (Mason), jars sitting at -10F. The inside of a deep freezer is dark 99.99% of the time so no UV degradation problems to worry about. Just fill each jar as full as possible to minimize oxygen content, seal and store. The colder the better, PG and VG won't freeze solid at these temps.

Burnie

The Bug Man
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 1, 2009
Sunny Florida
The last two 500ml bottles I got from WL I just put as is in the freezer, didn't even unwrap them. When I use down to needing to open one, I will re-bottle into smaller sizes, but I don't think I would use mason jars with metal lids, I have had some with food corrode with long term storage (I do canning). I would just buy some proper bottles for storage, no need taking a chance of ruining your nic. JMHO

b.m.

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 30, 2014
Ohio
The last liter i bought,i also bought a bunch of amber bottles to put it in.I am getting ready to buy 2 liters,and this time like you,i will be putting it in mason jars.The jars i have,the lids have a white coating on the inside to prevent corrosion,so i have no concerns with using them.I have been using some of these to do tobacco marceations,and the outside of the lids have rusted a bit from moisture sitting on them,but the inside remains the same as when new.

four2109

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 9, 2009
S. Indiana
The last liter i bought,i also bought a bunch of amber bottles to put it in.I am getting ready to buy 2 liters,and this time like you,i will be putting it in mason jars.The jars i have,the lids have a white coating on the inside to prevent corrosion,so i have no concerns with using them.I have been using some of these to do tobacco marceations,and the outside of the lids have rusted a bit from moisture sitting on them,but the inside remains the same as when new.

Yeah, I think the deterioration of the inside of the lids is usually from acid, tomatoes and such, maybe salt too. I could always "aquire" a couple of empty pint rum bottles. :)

I recall a video link here to a chemist who I believe said that nic settles. I don't recall if he was talking about a VG or PG mix or both. So I don't want to just siphon off the top.

Lori2014

ECF Veteran
May 25, 2014
I have never even thought of this but I suppose I would be concerned with the metal lids. I prefer cone caps. I'm sure someone that knows for sure will tell you if this is okay, but I just would not chance it. I put mine in smaller bottles. I use amber but it is not necessary because I then put them in a thermal zippered lunch box. I do not do this for added protection. I do this in case of a fire and I have to grab my nic and go.
exit.gif

You can get plastic lids for canning jars, usually where ever the jars are sold. Like these:
Amazon.com: Bernardin Mason Jar Caps - Plastic - Standard: Canning Lids: Kitchen & Dining

Burnie

The Bug Man
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 1, 2009
Sunny Florida
You can get plastic lids for canning jars, usually where ever the jars are sold. Like these:
Amazon.com: Bernardin Mason Jar Caps - Plastic - Standard: Canning Lids: Kitchen & Dining

Those lids are not for canning, and are not leak proof, from the link you provided:

Does this brand cap have any kind of rubber gasket in the cap that would make it leak proof?

A:
No, it doesn't, and they are not leak-proof, although I do carry them in my lunch bag sometimes. They work well for thicker items like a smoothie or yogurt, but I wouldn't recommend them for liquids like juice or soup, unless it's just going in your fridge.

twgbonehead

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Apr 28, 2011
MA, USA
I also use mason jars. I fill them nearly full, and put them standing upright in the freezer on the bottom shelf. I leave just enough space that the lid isn't soaking in the liquid. Seems to work fine.

HOWEVER!

We do not do canning, and have nothing else in mason jars, so there is no chance of confusion. (They're also marked on the lids). I keep them on the bottom shelf (and NO FOOD on the bottom shelf) to avoid any possible food contamination.

Steamer861

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 13, 2014
Canada
I bought Balsamic vinegar at wall mart it came in 250 ml dark glass bottles, they do have metal caps but they are lined with a plastic liner
The vinegar was cheeper than trying to buy just the bottles. I broke my litre into 4 parts this way the remainder of my nic in the freezer is in smaller portions
and I can keep my nic in full bottles with no air

Str8vision

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2013
Sallisaw, Oklahoma USA
Unlike water and acidic foods, PG and VG are non-corrosive and have no adverse effect on coated metal canning lids even over prolonged periods of time. Oxygen molecules cannot permeate through glass or the metal canning lid but can, over time, pass through plastic including plastic lids/caps. For nic stored short term (< 1 year), plastic really isn't much of a concern but for long term cold storage, it is. Another plus for using canning jars is that they stack "securely" and for those of us storing large quantities of liquid nic this can be an important consideration. Using stacked half pint canning jars, 6 liters of liquid nic takes up less than 7" on a single shelf.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread