The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

Anyone aging their liquids in open air?

Discussion in 'General E-Liquid Discussion' started by jcoopercam, Jan 18, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. jcoopercam

jcoopercam Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Dec 29, 2009
    Orlando, FL
    I noticed that the liquid in my Provari w/Serpent Mini gets dark within a few day of sitting in the tank. Thing is, it tastes great! I'm assuming the nicotine is oxidizing? If so, I think I'm going to start leaving my liquids open while they steep to help oxidize the nicotine.

Has anyone else experienced this?

• Like Like x 1
  2. Letitia

Letitia Therion/Nano Junkie ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Apr 2, 2017
    West Frankfort, IL
    Creams and custards will darken as well. If juice is tasting sweeter it isn't the nic.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Sugar_and_Spice

Sugar_and_Spice ECF Guru Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Sep 11, 2010
    between here and there
    Yes all the time. I think its more the light and heat helping it to mature faster. But what do I know?

:)

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  4. jcoopercam

Dec 29, 2009
    Orlando, FL
    It doesn't taste sweeter. It seems to take on the natural rustic flavor of tobacco. I'm using double RY4 in every liquid I make, so it may be the RY4, I don't know? I haven't tried aging the nicotine laced PG/VG on their own. I've been filling my Goon with liquid before going to bed so it can sit out in the open... Tastes 100% better the next morning. I don't care about clouds at all. For me it's all about flavor.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  5. Letitia

Letitia Therion/Nano Junkie ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Apr 2, 2017
    West Frankfort, IL
    Could just be a perfect storm. If it works for you enjoy it.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  6. Fredman1

Fredman1 Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Mar 27, 2017
    New Zealand
    I've been noticing the same thing for a while now. The tobacco juice standing in the tank overnight, tastes better the next day.
    I figured it has something to do with the liquid being heated up initially, and then left to stand and m mature...but once again WTH do I know...:cry:

• Like Like x 3
  7. Coastal Cowboy

Coastal Cowboy This aggression will not stand, man! Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Jun 13, 2013
    Alabama Gulf Coast
    The richer the flavor target, the more time it takes to mature.

In my stint as a former amateur brewmaster, I can attest that patience pays.

I just wish I had the patience to actually taste what I set out to make.

• Funny Funny x 2
  8. stols001

stols001 Mistress of the Dark Nicotinic Arts Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    May 30, 2017
    Tucson, AZ
    I used to steep flavors open but then I started using DW, so I don't. With that said, I don't mix tobaccos either, but yes, juice will darken and change over time as it is exposed to air. I usually find if I let a full tank sit for too long I'll need to change the eliquid and clean it, as perhaps flavor rises initially but over time it will drop off more and more.... To the point that if I'm really not gonna use a tank for a while and I know it, I empty it. Easier to start off clean and then refill rather than the reverse.

I don't know the whys/wherefores and whatnots, either. I believe that most things have a cause, however, even if I don't know it, or even if anyone doesn't know it... Yet.

When I was air steeping, it was usually only for a day or so, for the most part now though, I steep with the lid closed and keep my (dark amber) e-liquid bottles tightly closed. I really need to get some more of them...

Anna

9. Carl2

Carl2 Super Member ECF Veteran

Jun 30, 2016
    I've been using a warm water steep, 6 hours at 130 F.
    I use mostly tobacco flavors the majority don't need steeping but sometimes I add flavors that do require steeping. You might get a little more flavor using the warm water.

• Useful Useful x 3
  10. jcoopercam

Dec 29, 2009
    Orlando, FL
    I just mixed my first batch of Root Beer Float today! This may be my new all day vape. :)

• Like Like x 4
  11. Alter

Alter Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Apr 2, 2013
    BC Canada
    Unless you smell alcohol or a floral off scent the all your doing is maybe flattening the flavor leaving the jug open for any length of time. IMO the point is not to let air into the jug to enhance the oxidation of the nic, same with heat steeping all your doing is speeding up the oxidation and/or caramelizing the sweeteners darkening the juice if you accidentally over heat the juice. Just leave the cap on and shake it as much as you want.
    Juice that gets dark fast in the atty is saying your coil is cocooned with gunk and having to heat the coil up so much to get through the cocoon to vaporize the juice, your also heating up the metal around thus burning as you can say the juice and darkening it along with extra battery power to fire that gunked coil. That darkened juice if not removed and the coil replaced will contaminate all the new juice you put into that atty darkening it also and could give it a "off" taste. As a rule of thumb....saving that ml or two of old juice isn't worth the contamination of the new coil and the juice added to a atty. I never save that last bit of juice in a spent atty no matter if it looks OK or not.
    Steeping is a patient process that melds flavors together that trying to speed up that process also causes more issues later than its worth.

• Agree Agree x 3
  12. stols001

stols001 Mistress of the Dark Nicotinic Arts Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    May 30, 2017
    Tucson, AZ
    I agree, once the coil is burnt (this can be a bit painful on larger tanks) it's really wash thoroughly, disassemble, clean and then refill with fresh juice. Actually keeping that juice is going to either kill your new coil right away and/or contaminate the fresh juice. At best, it may taste not so good, at worst, it will also kill the new coil faster. I don't think I've ever tried to "conserve" any juice it all goes down the sink. Of course, with DIY, that process is less painful, as it's also much cheaper.

Anna

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. I've heard ... and I don't know if it's true ... that leaving bottles open a long time allows nicotine to evaporate. Any thoughts?

14. ManOfBing

ManOfBing Full Member

Jan 26, 2018
    If you look up some YouTube videos they actually recommend this as a steeping method. From what I’ve heard if you step it with an open cap in a bowl of warm water in a dark place for 1-2 hours they will taste noticeably better afterwards!

• Like Like x 1
  15. ManOfBing

ManOfBing Full Member

Jan 26, 2018
    Oh my god I NEED some!!

• Like Like x 1
  16. jcoopercam

Dec 29, 2009
    Orlando, FL
    • Like Like x 1
  17. Tepid

Tepid Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Oct 24, 2010
    Somewhere
    There was study done here on the forums some years ago, can't find the thread.
    And the result was minimal NIC loss over several days.
    But I wouldn't have vaped it with how dark it was.

• Like Like x 1
  18. SCOTT-3

SCOTT-3 Senior Member ECF Veteran

Feb 2, 2012
    london u.k
    Don't see leaving unatended liquids open a wise move, As attracting dust, flying insects, as well as open bottles dangerous to children and pets if left absentmindedly at low levels.

• Agree Agree x 3
  19. IDJoel

IDJoel Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Feb 20, 2015
    Boise, ID
    If the desire is oxidation; hit it with a handheld frother (for maximum air exposure), and then stick it in a warm sunny windowsill in a non-UV resistant bottle. You'll get oxidation... fast! :D

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  20. Maxie81

Maxie81 Full Member

Feb 8, 2018
    I'm a noob, so fair warning! ;) I am curious about this part of the vaping 'thang. I don't plan on making juices, but I was reading about steeping liquids you buy. I know there are manufacturers who sell pre-steeped juices. That doesn't mean *all* other juices need to be steeped, right? The fellas at my first vape shop (I've only been into a few) didn't mention anything about steeping the juices they mixed up for me. I've been happy with the flavors of the juices I've used so far. I just don't want to miss out on any potential good schtuff. :)

• Like Like x 2
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.