Anyone aging their liquids in open air?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jcoopercam

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 29, 2009
I noticed that the liquid in my Provari w/Serpent Mini gets dark within a few day of sitting in the tank. Thing is, it tastes great! I'm assuming the nicotine is oxidizing? If so, I think I'm going to start leaving my liquids open while they steep to help oxidize the nicotine.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Reactions: stols001

Sugar_and_Spice

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2010
between here and there
I noticed that the liquid in my Provari w/Serpent Mini gets dark within a few day of sitting in the tank. Thing is, it tastes great! I'm assuming the nicotine is oxidizing? If so, I think I'm going to start leaving my liquids open while they steep to help oxidize the nicotine.

Has anyone else experienced this?
Yes all the time. I think its more the light and heat helping it to mature faster. But what do I know?

:)

jcoopercam

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 29, 2009
It doesn't taste sweeter. It seems to take on the natural rustic flavor of tobacco. I'm using double RY4 in every liquid I make, so it may be the RY4, I don't know? I haven't tried aging the nicotine laced PG/VG on their own. I've been filling my Goon with liquid before going to bed so it can sit out in the open... Tastes 100% better the next morning. I don't care about clouds at all. For me it's all about flavor.

Fredman1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 27, 2017
New Zealand
I've been noticing the same thing for a while now. The tobacco juice standing in the tank overnight, tastes better the next day.
I figured it has something to do with the liquid being heated up initially, and then left to stand and m mature...but once again WTH do I know...:cry:

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
I used to steep flavors open but then I started using DW, so I don't. With that said, I don't mix tobaccos either, but yes, juice will darken and change over time as it is exposed to air. I usually find if I let a full tank sit for too long I'll need to change the eliquid and clean it, as perhaps flavor rises initially but over time it will drop off more and more.... To the point that if I'm really not gonna use a tank for a while and I know it, I empty it. Easier to start off clean and then refill rather than the reverse.

I don't know the whys/wherefores and whatnots, either. I believe that most things have a cause, however, even if I don't know it, or even if anyone doesn't know it... Yet.

When I was air steeping, it was usually only for a day or so, for the most part now though, I steep with the lid closed and keep my (dark amber) e-liquid bottles tightly closed. I really need to get some more of them...

Anna

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 2, 2013
BC Canada
Unless you smell alcohol or a floral off scent the all your doing is maybe flattening the flavor leaving the jug open for any length of time. IMO the point is not to let air into the jug to enhance the oxidation of the nic, same with heat steeping all your doing is speeding up the oxidation and/or caramelizing the sweeteners darkening the juice if you accidentally over heat the juice. Just leave the cap on and shake it as much as you want.
Juice that gets dark fast in the atty is saying your coil is cocooned with gunk and having to heat the coil up so much to get through the cocoon to vaporize the juice, your also heating up the metal around thus burning as you can say the juice and darkening it along with extra battery power to fire that gunked coil. That darkened juice if not removed and the coil replaced will contaminate all the new juice you put into that atty darkening it also and could give it a "off" taste. As a rule of thumb....saving that ml or two of old juice isn't worth the contamination of the new coil and the juice added to a atty. I never save that last bit of juice in a spent atty no matter if it looks OK or not.
Steeping is a patient process that melds flavors together that trying to speed up that process also causes more issues later than its worth.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
I agree, once the coil is burnt (this can be a bit painful on larger tanks) it's really wash thoroughly, disassemble, clean and then refill with fresh juice. Actually keeping that juice is going to either kill your new coil right away and/or contaminate the fresh juice. At best, it may taste not so good, at worst, it will also kill the new coil faster. I don't think I've ever tried to "conserve" any juice it all goes down the sink. Of course, with DIY, that process is less painful, as it's also much cheaper.

Anna

Tepid

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 24, 2010
Somewhere
I've heard ... and I don't know if it's true ... that leaving bottles open a long time allows nicotine to evaporate. Any thoughts?

There was study done here on the forums some years ago, can't find the thread.
And the result was minimal NIC loss over several days.
But I wouldn't have vaped it with how dark it was.

Reactions: stols001

Maxie81

Feb 8, 2018
I'm a noob, so fair warning! ;) I am curious about this part of the vaping 'thang. I don't plan on making juices, but I was reading about steeping liquids you buy. I know there are manufacturers who sell pre-steeped juices. That doesn't mean *all* other juices need to be steeped, right? The fellas at my first vape shop (I've only been into a few) didn't mention anything about steeping the juices they mixed up for me. I've been happy with the flavors of the juices I've used so far. I just don't want to miss out on any potential good schtuff. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread